OFFICIAL Signing Day Thread

Good info from Suguira about the class.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/05/6-signing-day-notes/

Excerpt: 5. Some position notes: Johnson said Autry will start out at A-back. Broderick Snoddy will also have time at A-back in the spring. (Tech has five senior A-backs and needs to prepare for the future.) Trey Klock projects as an offensive tackle, though he played tight end mostly in high school. Johnson said that they might use him as a tackle eligible, like when the stacks its offensive tackles next to each other.
“Maybe we give him an 80 number and he’s like a tight end that fits into our stuff, but he’s really a tackle,” Johnson said.

Excerpt: 5. Some position notes: Johnson said Autry will start out at A-back. Broderick Snoddy will also have time at A-back in the spring. (Tech has five senior A-backs and needs to prepare for the future.) Trey Klock projects as an offensive tackle, though he played tight end mostly in high school. Johnson said that they might use him as a tackle eligible, like when the stacks its offensive tackles next to each other.
“Maybe we give him an 80 number and he’s like a tight end that fits into our stuff, but he’s really a tackle,” Johnson said.

Hopefully, this is just PJ-speak hedging his potentially having to change things up with his offense whereby he starts using a TE or H-back à la Auburn, etc.

That article says that we have 7 of the top 75 guys in-state. And georgia is one of the top 5 states in the country usually. Cal, fla, texas are others but I see that as pretty good evidence that we signed a pretty good class. That's 1/3 of the class. I'm sure the other guys are ranked highly in their states too.

I feel pretty good about this class. I think whitehead is huge and if we can keep our OL healthy and JT healthy we should go 9-3 or 8-4 next year.

That article says that we have 7 of the top 75 guys in-state. And georgia is one of the top 5 states in the country usually. Cal, fla, texas are others but I see that as pretty good evidence that we signed a pretty good class. That's 1/3 of the class. I'm sure the other guys are ranked highly in their states too.

I feel pretty good about this class. I think whitehead is huge and if we can keep our OL healthy and JT healthy we should go 9-3 or 8-4 next year.

Major +1 :biggthumpup:

And our consistent .500 play against BCS level competition (and poor results against UGA, Clem, Mia, VT) reinforces the recruiting rankings we're seeing each year.

This is the biggest knock against CPJ. He keeps saying the rankings don't matter and are not accurate, but he keeps reinforcing them by having mediocre results and finishing the year as roughly the 40th best team.

That said, I think this class is underrated and we have some good pieces. I am excited about it.

I see this class as a pretty good one for us. It addresses need and I like what I see and hear of many of these recruits. Where the class ranks is disappointing, but I never expect us to be a top 20 recruiting school. I'd like to see our classes in the 25 to 45 range, but this is not a failed year at all. Now, the key is to develop a great work ethic and foster good team chemistry with these kids. When we are successful it is because we have kids who are working hard and getting better year by year. That has been my biggest concern lately, not seeing good player development, especially at O-line and A-back.

So NSD is over. We've rounded out the class as well as we would have liked. Obviously, the addition of new recruiters has helped us. So has our ability to acquire JUCO talent. With the exception of one recruit, all of our talent has come from GA, FL, SC, or AL. It seems like the coaching staff is starting to adapt to what works as far as recruiting is concerned.

So the question now is, "what do we want to see or what do we expect out of our signing class next year?" Is it possible to snag enough local talent to shoot up to 35 or so? Do rankings matter? (cue Pawl)

So NSD is over. We've rounded out the class as well as we would have liked. Obviously, the addition of new recruiters has helped us. So has our ability to acquire JUCO talent. With the exception of one recruit, all of our talent has come from GA, FL, SC, or AL. It seems like the coaching staff is starting to adapt to what works as far as recruiting is concerned.

So the question now is, "what do we want to see or what do we expect out of our signing class next year?" Is it possible to snag enough local talent to shoot up to 35 or so? Do rankings matter? (cue Pawl)

Well I do not care what Paul says, rankings do matter. He can make up whatever BS he wants all day long, but at the end of the day, having 50 + ranked recruiting classes is not getting the job done in order to beat the big 4.

I do like this class more than any of his others. But its still not good enough, I would hope that he would understand that and strive to get better players in his system.

Well I do not care what Paul says, rankings do matter. He can make up whatever BS he wants all day long, but at the end of the day, having 50 + ranked recruiting classes is not getting the job done in order to beat the big 4.

This. He can call BS on the recruiting rankings all he wants, but he's 1-15 against the big 4 on our schedule the past four years. Those numbers speak for themselves.

The "big 4" nonsense is hilarious, as all it does is serve to prove an inherent bias.

Additional information - "highest" rank was #36.

The "big 4" nonsense is hilarious, as all it does is serve to prove an inherent bias.

How about the "big 11" (aka the FBS teams we played last year)?

5-6

Seems like our middle of the road recruiting classes get us middle of the road results.

5-6

Seems like our middle of the road recruiting classes get us middle of the road results.

Losing record against FBS teams in 3 of the last 4 years

5-6

Which is pretty much par for the course for Tech in the modern era.

There is no point in having another conversation about realistic expectations, because most on this board have already devolved into the mouth breathing retards at which they regularly throw stones (though I know you're just stoking the fire as per uszhe).

So, if I'm not happy with 1-15 against those 4 over 4 seasons then I'm not being realistic?

Back