Official Stingtalk HC Approval Poll Week 3 2021

Do you approve of the Head Coach performance?

• Approve

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 73 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The coaching staff deserves kudos for Clemson. But their time management skills before the half were still lacking. Coach reminds me of the type of coach that can take us on a rollar coaster ride so I will hold judgement until the end of the season. Regardless, the dude still gets at least one more season to prove himself anyways due to Tech's historically ööööty contract negotiations.

I was thinking this morning that it might be useful to further break the W/L numbers by season into wins, “good” losses (run of the mill defeat to normal ass-kicking), and “bad” losses (losses that are historically bad, losses when favored, shutouts, stuff like that).

Quickly from memory (without historical betting line data, so maybe there are some bad losses I’m missing):

2019: 3-5-4 (Citadel, VPI, Temple, U[sic]GA)
2020: 3-5-2 (Clemson, Syracuse)
2021: 1-1-1 (NIU)

If we can move some losses to wins and move some bad losses to just normal losses, I’ll start to believe we’re making progress.

JRjr

If Collins wears a monocle and a goatee to this week's game, I approve. If he continues to wear the same pants Geppetto wore when he carved Pinocchio and a vest that I don't know what company decided would be a good idea to manufacture for sportswear, then GTFO.
Agreed. Mostly blue attire, still pushing the ATL logo he stole from the Hawks as well as the " money down" junk. Oh yes, don't forget the steady hip hop piped in music. However, 6 wins will make me overlook some of these irritants!!

as far as his actual coaching....we'll see

Still disapprove. Yes we hung close but we only put up 6 points despite having the opportunity for a lot more. Plus a loss is still a loss.

If we hadn't loss to NIU I would be at approve right now. Show me a win against UNC and I'll be back on board.

A focused head coach would be 2-1 right now, not 1-2 with a horrible loss to a terrible NIU team, at home. It’s an uphill climb for Collins to get an “approve” from me.

Last edited:
Many of our expectations are so low that we approve a 1-2 start.

Reverse of my question from last week: for those of you who are at approve right now, what would it take to get you to move to disapprove? A loss against UNC? Blowout loss against UNC? Or does Collins mostly still get a pass from you this year?

Not sure how you go to approval with an L in which we failed to reach the endzone. Clemson looks extremely mortal. But all we have is hope. I predict we come crashing back to Earth this week. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm still in the disapprove camp. I'm afraid that the close loss to Clemson will not look as good at the end of the year as it does right now. Their offense is horrible and last in the acc in several categories. If they played anybody else worth a damn this year, I think they would have 3+ losses.

I'm not taking anything away from the team and think the coaches had a solid game plan and called a good game for the most part. Still to slow getting plays in and piss poor clock management but hopefully they can get that fixed. Several questionable calls inside the red zone again but that will happen to anybody when you don't get the TD. Seems like we never get the TD though.

I still disapprove but this was the first game they gave me any hope we might be on the right path. If we can look just as prepared against N.C. I might start shifting towards approval.

Reverse of my question from last week: for those of you who are at approve right now, what would it take to get you to move to disapprove? A loss against UNC? Blowout loss against UNC? Or does Collins mostly still get a pass from you this year?
I am still at disapprove. It’ll be hard to erase that loss to NIU, but he needs to put a win streak together. I can see flashes of good football, so I know we have the talent to get it done. I think GC is learning on the job, and I hope he can get it figured out before the train comes off the track. I believe GC can get it done, but I don’t approve of the job he’s done thus far.

We need to go to a bowl this year. He doesn’t get a pass from me, but I suspect he’ll get one from the AD.

I was thinking this morning that it might be useful to further break the W/L numbers by season into wins, “good” losses (run of the mill defeat to normal ass-kicking), and “bad” losses (losses that are historically bad, losses when favored, shutouts, stuff like that).

Quickly from memory (without historical betting line data, so maybe there are some bad losses I’m missing):

If we can move some losses to wins and move some bad losses to just normal losses, I’ll start to believe we’re making progress.

JRjr

Losing by 2 TD to 6-5 Pitt at home was a bad loss. So were UCF, BC, and ND in 2020.

But, we’ve turned over a lot of personnel. If we had a new staff this year, what would I expect? Somewhere in the 4-6 win range. We’ve got a lot of young players and a lot of transfers. But I would 100% expect 2-2 ooc and 2 to 4 wins in conference. Two conference wins would be getting the bare minimum out of the team. Keep in mind that we are in the worst P5 conference this year.

Still disapprove. The post-game presser was another in a long line of I don't know what. Shows up and says he can't sit because he'll cramp up or something. Spends the time with his foot on a chair while rubbing his hamstring. Gives the obligatory 'hardest rebuild EVAR'. Fumbles with a cup of water, then the bottle. Acts like he's from Conyers or something. I'm embarrassed for him and he doesn't even know he's embarrassing himself.

JRjr

Notice how you focused on "bad" loses and "good" loses. When do we start to focus on "wins" and "good wins"??? You don't even mention wins much less good wins.

We're in season three. Have we had any wins that you'd consider to be a good win?

/

Notice how you focused on "bad" loses and "good" loses. When do we start to focus on "wins" and "good wins"??? You don't even mention wins much less good wins.

We're in season three. Have we had any wins that you'd consider to be a good win?

I’m dealing what is, not what I wish would be. What is has been pretty bad, so there’s not much reason to distinguish the wins just yet.

FSU looked like a good win at the time, but turned out to be not so great. Louisville and Duke last year might qualify by virtue of the score and margin, I guess.

You’ve got to crawl before you can walk. From the Rumble Seat had a good article recently about needing to start losing close (and holding serve in games where we’re even or favored), and that seems like a fair metric given what we’ve seen under this staff so far. Clemson was a “lose close” game, which is encouraging, but NIU was discouraging. Let’s see how things shake out for the rest of the year - while I never like to lose, I’d be happy to see us show signs that we’re turning the corner and closing the gap.

JRjr

I’m dealing what is, not what I wish would be. What is has been pretty bad, so there’s not much reason to distinguish the wins just yet.

FSU looked like a good win at the time, but turned out to be not so great. Louisville and Duke last year might qualify by virtue of the score and margin, I guess.

You’ve got to crawl before you can walk. From the Rumble Seat had a good article recently about needing to start losing close (and holding serve in games where we’re even or favored), and that seems like a fair metric given what we’ve seen under this staff so far. Clemson was a “lose close” game, which is encouraging, but NIU was discouraging. Let’s see how things shake out for the rest of the year - while I never like to lose, I’d be happy to see us show signs that we’re turning the corner and closing the gap.

JRjr

Maybe this is the week.

/

Definitely still a disapproval from me. The Clemson loss gave me hope that it might turn into an approval by season’s end, because things were looking pretty dire after game 1.

Ole boy climbing out that hole

Collins is a hard worker. He couldn’t be in a better situation. He has this year and probably the next two to pull a major upset. If he can win the division, he would be an excellent target for poaching when Miami and FSU are in the market.

Didn't vote because I'm "wait and see" NIU was pretty bad, but looking competent against KSU was good, and then putting a great show on against Clemson was encouraging. If we go back to looking lost against UNC with substitution penalties, missed 35 yd FGs, multiple blown defensive plays, etc. then I'll disapprove. But if we can look competent this week and keep up with or beat UNC, then I'll be solidly in the approve camp.

Back