Official Visit - Vad Lee Twitter updates

VadLee02 I am so happy for my man @GottaLuv_Myerk for having a wounderful visit at #Navy this weekend!

I wonder exactly what what you do on a recruitting trip to the Naval Academy. Sleep in the barracks and scrub latrines when you wake up in the morning?

I wonder exactly what what you do on a recruitting trip to the Naval Academy. Sleep in the barracks and scrub latrines when you wake up in the morning?
It's actually a pretty cool place to tour, and Annapolis is a blast. I mean, you have to have a mindset that you want to serve but I love that area and campus is impressive.

It's actually a pretty cool place to tour, and Annapolis is a blast. I mean, you have to have a mindset that you want to serve but I love that area and campus is impressive.

+1

Annapolis is great. The selling point of becoming a Naval Officer and making about $50,000 right out of college and about $80,000+ 4 years out isn't that bad either. I'm sure they talk about the opportunities to become jet pilots or to operate a nuclear power plant on a submarine. Its not for everyone, but there are some pretty cool career options. Those salaries might be about average for GT standards, but I'm pretty certain is better than the average for 95% of FBS schools.

Last edited:
+1

Annapolis is great. The selling point of becoming a Naval Officer and making about $50,000 right out of college and about $80,000+ 4 years out isn't that bad either. I'm sure they talk about the opportunities to become jet pilots or to operate a nuclear power plan on a submarine. Its not for everyone, but there are some pretty cool career options. Those salaries might be about average for GT standards, but I'm pretty certain is better than the average for 95% of FBS schools.

If you include the benefits and tax breaks, I wouldn't say it is average for GT standards.... Its definitely upper class.

I saw where Vad has recently added Darian Cooper as a friend on facebook... Think there might be some persuading going on now?

Yes but if he happens to unknowingly meet then he can promote Tech respectfully. At least that's what Drad told me.

Annapolis is great. The selling point of becoming a Naval Officer and making about $50,000 right out of college and about $80,000+ 4 years out isn't that bad either. I'm sure they talk about the opportunities to become jet pilots or to operate a nuclear power plant on a submarine. Its not for everyone, but there are some pretty cool career options. Those salaries might be about average for GT standards, but I'm pretty certain is better than the average for 95% of FBS schools.

Maybe, but you're going to be deployed. You can make $100,000 / year coming out of GT if you're willing to go live in Afghanistan as a contractor. You can make $80,000 / year if you're willing to go live in Vietnam, Laos, or on an oil rig.

Maybe, but you're going to be deployed. You can make $100,000 / year coming out of GT if you're willing to go live in Afghanistan as a contractor. You can make $80,000 / year if you're willing to go live in Vietnam, Laos, or on an oil rig.

Your point?

Being deployed is a badge of honor for some.

I don't think too many people go to the military academies for the pay.

Your point?

You can't argue that making $50,000 at graduation is a major selling point without also mentioning that the salary comes with deployment. The fact that officers are deployed and are in harm's way is the reason they're paid that much.

So a comparison between, say, an Auburn average starting salary and a Navy average starting salary isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

Where do you make this money coming out of Tech?

Where do you make this money coming out of Tech?

Just look around - they're easy to find. I knew about 10 people that went over to SE Asia to work in manufacturing plants at graduation (mostly people with low GPA's who didn't have many other opportunities). After 6 months, most came back. After a year, all but one came back (and that's because he was in Singapore, not some small rural town). It's a pretty poor working environment - you live on a complex and aren't allowed to leave. You work 16 hours /day 7 days/week because there's nothing else to do. But you make $100,000/year at age 22.

Working on oil rigs in the gulf is another opportunity. That's not as bad (work 2 weeks on, take 1 week off), but when you're there, you work continuously, hot bunk, and have no free time. Most of your salary is in OT pay and almost everyone who works there is divorced as it's hard to maintain a family with that schedule.

Another option is to move to Houston and work in the chemical plants as an hourly operator. It's shift work, but without a college degree you start at $60,000 and are up to $100,000 - $120,000 in 8 years (by age 26). Again, working shift work year round can be tough on families so most are divorced.

Heck, I knew some people that went to Iraq a few years back and made $150,000/yr driving trucks.

You can't argue that making $50,000 at graduation is a major selling point without also mentioning that the salary comes with deployment. The fact that officers are deployed and are in harm's way is the reason they're paid that much.

So a comparison between, say, an Auburn average starting salary and a Navy average starting salary isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

Of course it isn't the same :facepalm:, but you aren't recruiting the sort of kid that wants to play ball at Auburn.

On the plus side of the deployments, you travel the World and see stuff 99% of the World doesn't. I've seen 5 continents, 30+ countries, in under 5 years. I have friends who have done even more travel. I guess if upon graduation from college all you want is to be a high school gym teacher in Bumble****, Alabama that might not appeal to you, but to the people Navy recruits/wants, it does.

Just look around - they're easy to find. I knew about 10 people that went over to SE Asia to work in manufacturing plants at graduation (mostly people with low GPA's who didn't have many other opportunities). After 6 months, most came back. After a year, all but one came back (and that's because he was in Singapore, not some small rural town). It's a pretty poor working environment - you live on a complex and aren't allowed to leave. You work 16 hours /day 7 days/week because there's nothing else to do. But you make $100,000/year at age 22.

Working on oil rigs in the gulf is another opportunity. That's not as bad (work 2 weeks on, take 1 week off), but when you're there, you work continuously, hot bunk, and have no free time. Most of your salary is in OT pay and almost everyone who works there is divorced as it's hard to maintain a family with that schedule.

Another option is to move to Houston and work in the chemical plants as an hourly operator. It's shift work, but without a college degree you start at $60,000 and are up to $100,000 - $120,000 in 8 years (by age 26). Again, working shift work year round can be tough on families so most are divorced.

Heck, I knew some people that went to Iraq a few years back and made $150,000/yr driving trucks.

Sound like great career opportunities :coolugh:. I hear you can sell a kidney for $100,000 in Singapore too if that interests you.

i went for a "summer seminar" between my junior and senior years in HS (b/c of my PSAT score i got selected to go) to the Naval Academy

we ate in the largest mess hall in the world, which is at Annapolis and it is pretty impressive to see like 3000 people all stand up and salute and then sit down at the same time

2006_1026tashmoo10_27_060014_scale.jpg

the Naval Academy is beautiful and offers boats, rivers and Baltimore, all which we visited on our "recruiting trip," along with visiting some really bad-ass classrooms, and boat-design building that allowed for testing on boats in water etc

Of course it isn't the same :facepalm:, but you aren't recruiting the sort of kid that wants to play ball at Auburn.

Someone said it was easy to recruit at Navy because kids make $50,000/year at graduation which is more than most FBS schools. My argument is that he didn't make a fair comparison.

I'm not arguing that the military is bad, or that being a PE teacher is good. I'm arguing that while $40,000 < $50,000, you can't make the argument that $40,000 < $50,000 + deployment. It will depend on how the kid values deployment, which is often negative (especially if the kid has any NFL aspirations).

Back