Official Visit - Vad Lee Twitter updates

the Naval Academy is beautiful and offers boats, rivers and Baltimore, all which we visited on our "recruiting trip," along with visiting some really bad-ass classrooms, and boat-design building that allowed for testing on boats in water etc

And crab cakes. Do not underestimate the importance of Maryland crab cakes. I have a hard time eating them anywhere else, since they're so good there. When I'm looking for faculty positions next year, I would have few qualms about applying to teach at USNA. Annapolis is nice, and you avoid a lot of the problems with students that you can run into at other universities. Oh, and the crab cakes.

Someone said it was easy to recruit at Navy because kids make $50,000/year at graduation which is more than most FBS schools. My argument is that he didn't make a fair comparison.

I'm not arguing that the military is bad, or that being a PE teacher is good. I'm arguing that while $40,000 < $50,000, you can't make the argument that $40,000 < $50,000 + deployment. It will depend on how the kid values deployment, which is often negative (especially if the kid has any NFL aspirations).

phd, just like you have to include the "deployment" in the consideration, so you also have to remember that being a Vet gives you all kinds of financial advantages later in life

USAA and so on will save the naval grad thousands of dollars over the years, so dont forget that.

If ya'll keep this talk up.....we will get our lecture from the "Civil War expert."

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

And crab cakes. Do not underestimate the importance of Maryland crab cakes. I have a hard time eating them anywhere else, since they're so good there. When I'm looking for faculty positions next year, I would have few qualms about applying to teach at USNA. Annapolis is nice, and you avoid a lot of the problems with students that you can run into at other universities. Oh, and the crab cakes.

The crab cakes are great, but even better, the cream of crab soup at Bush's in Annapolis.

phd, just like you have to include the "deployment" in the consideration, so you also have to remember that being a Vet gives you all kinds of financial advantages later in life

My ONLY argument is that you can't ignore deployment when comparing the starting salary out of a state school vs. an academy.

My ONLY argument is that you can't ignore deployment when comparing the starting salary out of a state school vs. an academy.
MY only argument is that if anyone knows of someone who went to any of the military academies based on their starting salary I want to know about it. I don't think it's a consideration. Not directed to you gtphd, but at anyone who thinks it matters.

Someone said it was easy to recruit at Navy because kids make $50,000/year at graduation which is more than most FBS schools. My argument is that he didn't make a fair comparison.

I'm not arguing that the military is bad, or that being a PE teacher is good. I'm arguing that while $40,000 < $50,000, you can't make the argument that $40,000 < $50,000 + deployment. It will depend on how the kid values deployment, which is often negative (especially if the kid has any NFL aspirations).

I'm the one who started this discussion and all I said was that a nice benefit of playing ball there vs. a school like Troy or North Texas is that you get a job right out of college. Navy recruits against schools like that. Nice to have a career lined up as a benefit of playing FBS ball.

Back