Officiating

The Jacket

The Coat
It was the worst I've seen in a LONG time. Makes the win even better though. Screw the refs
It wasn't quite as blatant or absurd as last year vs. Pitt, I don't think. But that doesn't change the fact that it was embarrassingly bad and lopsided. ACC officials in general have been absolutely atrocious this year. The crew at the Clemson-NCSU game was not as bad as ours tonight but I'll be damned if they weren't trying. I hate to repeat myself but the ACC is a ööööing joke of an organization and the officials are the punchline.

interchange

Jolly Good Fellow
A million holds and offsides. The TD takeaway. The textbook targeting on defenseless player (booth gets that one). Yeah it was a bad day for the zebras.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
There was one play where Downs false started and Jaquon got dragged to the ground by the jersey by an OL in the same play, and the refs swallowed their flags.

The obvious targeting. Lack of obvious PI. Holding routinely. Dontae's "forward progress" when he never slowed down enough for the refs to catch up with him. UNC jumped offsides on about 20% of their defensive plays.

It. Was. Horrendous.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I want to know how you rough the punter.

Edit: To be honest I think Shanahan did sell it some but it was a pretty solid hit

The Jacket

The Coat
In the past, didn't crews get suspended for especially horrible performances? I can't remember the last time I heard about it happening. But if the ACC started now, they would be unable to provide referees to half the conference's games inside two weeks.

interchange

Jolly Good Fellow
You forgot the “5 yard penalty” after UNC absolutely blasted our punter. They essentially just gave UNC the ball instead of us.
Indeed I did. It was 2 steps after the ball left his foot and tackle chest high.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
There was one play where Downs false started and Jaquon got dragged to the ground by the jersey by an OL in the same play, and the refs swallowed their flags.

The obvious targeting. Lack of obvious PI. Holding routinely. Dontae's "forward progress" when he never slowed down enough for the refs to catch up with him. UNC jumped offsides on about 20% of their defensive plays.

It. Was. Horrendous.
I honestly thought there were like 4 plays when their slot receiver false started, but I haven't bothered to go back and look in slow-mo.

The Jacket

The Coat
The only positive thing I'll say about those refs is at least some of them had the good sense to tell that one ref to pick up the flag on what would have been the second bogus personal foul on a sack.
I was genuinely shocked that they picked it up. I'd have never suspected they were capable of making a right decision if not for that.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
In person, it looked like he was taking off early…not quite as bad as arena league
He was getting ready for the Canadian Football League.

These refs were as bad as the ones for our UCF game last year.