Officiating

It was the worst-officiated game I've seen in awhile. I understand the unfortunate call on the Dontae run. It was the wrong call, but something that seemed reasonable to mess up. The roughing call was egregious.

The other one that I found particularly baffling was the overturned targetting call. First, I felt it was targetting based on the rules established (He left his feet and his a defenseless receiver). However, he made contact WELL before the ball got there. At minimum it is an easy PI call. Instead, nothing is effectively called and we were forced into a 3rd down, which we didn't convert.
The Dontae call was not reasonable because it goes against their protocol. The protocol is to not blow the whistle until the player stops moving. If they think he May have been down, it can be reviewed and you can always bring it back, but if they blow the whistle it’s over whether he was really down or not.

You can't convince me this öööö isn't intentional anymore. They did everything they could to keep Clemson undefeated last week, and just barely succeeded. They tried to keep the other ACC "contender" in it this week and we didn't give them the option. There is no way the officials aren't being given instructions ahead of time.

You can't convince me this öööö isn't intentional anymore. They did everything they could to keep Clemson undefeated last week, and just barely succeeded. They tried to keep the other ACC "contender" in it this week and we didn't give them the option. There is no way the officials aren't being given instructions ahead of time.
I’d like to think you’re wrong. But there are a lot of strange data points in this observation. Certainly seems like there are some biases. But just wait till they start covering for us :heelclick:

The only positive thing I'll say about those refs is at least some of them had the good sense to tell that one ref to pick up the flag on what would have been the second bogus personal foul on a sack.

That personal foul after the sack was maybe the only good call they made against us all night. The hit was like two full seconds after the whistle.

Normally I am pretty circumspect about officiating, but today was bad. From the "running into" the kicker to the non-called PI and everything in between, it was an embarrassing display.

I noticed in general last night that they were really quick to blow the whistle due to forward progress. That led to both our penalty for hitting Howell too late (maybe a good call but the whistle was too early) and the Dontae Smith touchdown negation. Several times though it benefited us because it kept the clock rolling when the sidelines could've ended the play.

It wasn't quite as blatant or absurd as last year vs. Pitt, I don't think. But that doesn't change the fact that it was embarrassingly bad and lopsided. ACC officials in general have been absolutely atrocious this year. The crew at the Clemson-NCSU game was not as bad as ours tonight but I'll be damned if they weren't trying. I hate to repeat myself but the ACC is a ööööing joke of an organization and the officials are the punchline.

Interestingly enough, I think the worst officiating I've seen this year has been in the prestigious SEC. There just seems to be a lot of bad officiating all over the place. I don't know if the calls last night were biased against us or just simply bad.

I don't know if the calls last night were biased against us or just simply bad.

If calls are simply bad, they’ll typically affect both teams. I don’t remember any particular egregious calls helping UNC. I do remember a roughing the punter downgraded to running into the kicker, targeting (textbook) that was overturned, PI in the endzone not called, D Smith’s run being immediately whistled down (going against what officials are told to do), etc, etc.

The league should be embarrassed at such a display. Of course, we know they are not and the clowns officiating last night will be ruining a game somewhere in the league next weekend.

Interestingly enough, I think the worst officiating I've seen this year has been in the prestigious SEC. There just seems to be a lot of bad officiating all over the place. I don't know if the calls last night were biased against us or just simply bad.
SEC officials gave Auburn a win yesterday

I was too drunk to get on here, but watching the one-sides refs last night, I thought “finally stingtalk can have a justified ref complaint thread”. That was bad. Really, really bad.

I watched the replay during some winsomnia hours after I got back from the game. The broadcast did a good job muffling the boos on some of the egregious calls because they were LOUD

I watched the replay during some winsomnia hours after I got back from the game. The broadcast did a good job muffling the boos on some of the egregious calls because they were LOUD
They were really loud in the second row. We got the full effect of all the rows behind us.

It was glorious.

Poor officiating isn't limited to GT games. Almost every single game I watched had poor officiating. The GSU-Auburn game was dismal.

I think it's just that most refs suck.

Back