Officiating

Poor officiating isn't limited to GT games. Almost every single game I watched had poor officiating. The GSU-Auburn game was dismal.

I think it's just that most refs suck.
You're definitely not wrong. My contention is that the ACC, in every game I have watched this year, has been so poorly officiated that I can no longer watch without being suspicious that something shady is happening. Someone else said this yesterday, but I tend to shrug off any modern notion of the Tobacco Road mafia because it makes more sense to me that if strings are being pulled or palms being greased, it's to the end of producing the most profit for the conference as a whole. But considering I know very little about who is making what money by what means in the ACC, and considering the simple facts my eyes report, I can't pretend it's something I can rule out just because it doesn't make the most sense to me on the surface.

The officials in the Clemson-NCSU game seemed like they were pretty openly working against the Tigers yesterday. Obviously I am not a Clemson fan but I was ööööing offended. It was awful. It only got upstaged in officiating atrocity by the zebras in our game. I don't know who's behind it, what their endgame is, who is profiting from it, whatever, but I know that something is very wrong in ACC officiating and it doesn't seem to matter how blatant they are with it because there is no accountability. I won't try to speak on refs from other conferences because I haven't noticed the same things from them this year yet. But I am convinced something is happening with our novelty conference's officiating crews and after displays like yesterday, I cannot write it off as pure incompetence.

You're definitely not wrong. My contention is that the ACC, in every game I have watched this year, has been so poorly officiated that I can no longer watch without being suspicious that something shady is happening. Someone else said this yesterday, but I tend to shrug off any modern notion of the Tobacco Road mafia because it makes more sense to me that if strings are being pulled or palms being greased, it's to the end of producing the most profit for the conference as a whole. But considering I know very little about who is making what money by what means in the ACC, and considering the simple facts my eyes report, I can't pretend it's something I can rule out just because it doesn't make the most sense to me on the surface.

The officials in the Clemson-NCSU game seemed like they were pretty openly working against the Tigers yesterday. Obviously I am not a Clemson fan but I was ööööing offended. It was awful. It only got upstaged in officiating atrocity by the zebras in our game. I don't know who's behind it, what their endgame is, who is profiting from it, whatever, but I know that something is very wrong in ACC officiating and it doesn't seem to matter how blatant they are with it because there is no accountability. I won't try to speak on refs from other conferences because I haven't noticed the same things from them this year yet. But I am convinced something is happening with our novelty conference's officiating crews and after displays like yesterday, I cannot write it off as pure incompetence.

I think it is the Chinese

I think it is the Chinese
Anybody spot this character around MBS last night?
Brilliant_Chang.jpg

Interestingly enough, I think the worst officiating I've seen this year has been in the prestigious SEC. There just seems to be a lot of bad officiating all over the place. I don't know if the calls last night were biased against us or just simply bad.

Hasselbeck didn't say "big break for Georgia Tech" three times.

Poor officiating isn't limited to GT games. Almost every single game I watched had poor officiating. The GSU-Auburn game was dismal.

I think it's just that most refs suck.
They're getting lazy and losing focus because of reliance on replay

I will say it is very possible that if each game this year was fairly called - not favorably called but fairly and evenly called - we would be 4-0.

Why would they work against the tigers if it was about money?

So many crap calls so I'll just highlight the suck by mentioning the textbook roughing the kicker that I guess somebody paid them to not call. After all it would have given us a first down and we can't have that now can we?
Are you all talking about the first GT punt of the game that got blocked?

Are most refs still guys who work other jobs in the offseason to make ends meet? I know that used to be the case, even at the NFL level. Always thought it was wild that multi-billion dollar industries would place so little value in people with the capacity to royally öööö up their product.

The important question is can you get the same ref crew two weeks in a row or do they always rotate?

Why would they work against the tigers if it was about money?
Like I said, I don't have a ööööing clue. I'm not claiming to understand the secret workings and backroom machinations of those öööös down at the league office.

Are you all talking about the first GT punt of the game that got blocked?
No not the partially blocked punt. Later punt that got flagged for running into kicker rather than the correct call which should have been roughing. That's a 15 yarder and automatic 1st. Clearly roughing in that he took the kicker out. Running into kicker would have been like incidental contact. Anyone that didn't see that must not have watched the game.

Like I said, I don't have a ööööing clue. I'm not claiming to understand the secret workings and backroom machinations of those öööös down at the league office.

The person responsible for ACC officiating has the following credentials:
  • Member of FIU dance team
  • Called people for donations to FIU alumni association
  • Butch Davis’ executive assistant
That’s it. That’s what it takes to be in charge of ACC referees. Literally every person on this message board is more qualified.

Are most refs still guys who work other jobs in the offseason to make ends meet? I know that used to be the case, even at the NFL level. Always thought it was wild that multi-billion dollar industries would place so little value in people with the capacity to royally öööö up their product.

Most of the people smart enough to be a good official are going to have another lucrative and/or fulfilling career and won’t want to just sit around from January to August.

Working for Vegas may be lucrative.

Back