Officiating

That personal foul after the sack was maybe the only good call they made against us all night. The hit was like two full seconds after the whistle.

Normally I am pretty circumspect about officiating, but today was bad. From the "running into" the kicker to the non-called PI and everything in between, it was an embarrassing display.

Watching the condensed game again, I agree with your assessment on the roughing penalty. From my spot in the stadium, you couldn't hear the whistle. Watching again on TV, it was more obvious. They should have called it a "late hit" instead of "unnecessary roughness," which incorrectly implied that it was a dirty hit as opposed to one after the whistle.

Watching the condensed game again, I agree with your assessment on the roughing penalty. From my spot in the stadium, you couldn't hear the whistle. Watching again on TV, it was more obvious. They should have called it a "late hit" instead of "unnecessary roughness," which incorrectly implied that it was a dirty hit as opposed to one after the whistle.
Whistle? The punt still had to be fielded and returned. The only reason I think it wasn’t called roughing was because his plant leg wasn’t taken out in the contact

Why would they work against the tigers if it was about money?
Because the ACC always favors the teams from North Carolina. That is their top priority. Once Clemson lost to the cesspool and barely "won" against us, there was no reason to protect them. The ACC headquarters needs to move out of North Carolina.

NFL ref salary is a bit over $200k.

It's college where you get the guys working during the week and then betting on games they officiate that weekend.

Yeah, looks like the NFL has significantly upped their officiating pay over the past decade or so. It used to be pretty puny.

The person responsible for ACC officiating has the following credentials:
  • Member of FIU dance team
  • Called people for donations to FIU alumni association
  • Butch Davis’ executive assistant
That’s it. That’s what it takes to be in charge of ACC referees. Literally every person on this message board is more qualified.
This is mind bottling. I guess that Master's in Recreation and Sport Management goes a long way!

Whistle? The punt still had to be fielded and returned. The only reason I think it wasn’t called roughing was because his plant leg wasn’t taken out in the contact

He’s talking about the roughing the passer called against us. Looked like a fine hit and not dirty, but apparently after the whistle, which you couldn’t hear in the stands.

JRjr

That’s it. That’s what it takes to be in charge of ACC referees. Literally every person on this message board is more qualified.
For öööö's sake.

"She coordinates the administrative details of the ACC Football officiating program..."

She's not in charge of the officials, she pushes paper. Dennis Hennigan is the ACC supervisor of football officials. He has the requisite experience but I can't tell you why they underperform.

Last edited:
Are you all talking about the first GT punt of the game that got blocked?
No, that was legit. Maybe you were making a sammich but later on they clearly ran over our punter and the refs called it running into the kicker instead of roughing which would obviously have been the right call and would have given us a first down whereas the running into call did not..

"She coordinates the administrative details of the ACC Football officiating program..."

She's not in charge of the officials, she pushes paper. Dennis Hennigan is the ACC supervisor of football officials. He has the requisite experience but I can't tell you why they underperform.
1632825877484.jpeg

Because the ACC always favors the teams from North Carolina. That is their top priority. Once Clemson lost to the cesspool and barely "won" against us, there was no reason to protect them. The ACC headquarters needs to move out of North Carolina.
Maybe a better solution is for us to move to a better Conference

I never understood the love affair with the ACC by so many GT Fans

No, that was legit. Maybe you were making a sammich but later on they clearly ran over our punter and the refs called it running into the kicker instead of roughing which would obviously have been the right call and would have given us a first down whereas the running into call did not..
The Officials are trained to call the 15 yd roughing when there is contact into the plant leg of the punter in order to protect against serious injury, all other contact , to the upper body for example, is not to be called a 15 yd penalty unless it is extremely violent contact

Based on the way Officials are trained, the 5yd penalty was the correct call

This was done in recent years at the NFL & College Level so Officials wouldn't have to waste time trying to determine if the Punter put on an acting to job to get an easy 1st down and steal an extra possession

The call was correct based on how Officials are trained

So many crap calls so I'll just highlight the suck by mentioning the textbook roughing the kicker that I guess somebody paid them to not call. After all it would have given us a first down and we can't have that now can we?

If that wasn't roughing I have a hard time understanding what IS supposed to be roughing.

Our kickers need to be trained that when they're roughed just stay on the ground until the trainers get out there regardless of whether they need them or not, to force the refs to throw the flag during a player injury and make sure the call is right

Maybe a better solution is for us to move to a better Conference

I never understood the love affair with the ACC by so many GT Fans
What’s a better conference?
Big XII sucks now. PAC is inferior and long flights. SEC wouldn’t let us in.

The only other option is the Big 10. There’s no evidence we could actually join, and if we did, our nearest conference rival would be Maryland. Plus we’d get to enjoy winter trips to Minneapolis and playing our conference championship game in Indianapolis. And that assumes OSU and Michigan stay (otherwise, see Big XII).

We don’t love the ACC, but we’re not going to do much better.

Last edited:
I used to want to leave the ACC until all the other conferences started to suck as bad as the ACC does.

It wasn't quite as blatant or absurd as last year vs. Pitt, I don't think. But that doesn't change the fact that it was embarrassingly bad and lopsided. ACC officials in general have been absolutely atrocious this year. The crew at the Clemson-NCSU game was not as bad as ours tonight but I'll be damned if they weren't trying. I hate to repeat myself but the ACC is a ööööing joke of an organization and the officials are the punchline.
It’s not just the ACC. Georgia will play a couple of close games this year—-Sat vs. Arkansas I think will be one of them. Florida will be another. Watch how blatantly biased towards UGA the officiating is.

Back