Online Classes

Joe Burrows LSU quoted that he visited the student sections since he never has a class---all on line. How do you know if it is not a tutor doing the course on line?

I don't know how it works at LSU, but at Tech you either have to take the exams in person on campus, in person at another participating university, or in some cases they have a proctor watch you take the exam through a webcam. In all three cases, your identity is verified via government issued ID. It's not possible to pass the class without passing the exams.

I teach football players online at a rather elite private university, totally online grad school, using last year of eligibility. Played at Harvard and Stanford, good students, good degree program.

As more and more programs go to morning practice you can be assured their players are taking most of their work online. I know here in the Triangle Duke and NC State practice in the morning. When I go by the PNC arena in autumn mornings I see the Wolfpack practicing. They usually wrap up practice about 11 to 11:30 and have to shower and have lunch plus get back to the campus as the football indoor and outdoor practice facilities are out at the stadium and arena, a ten minute drive from campus. These guys are not in many classrooms.

Liberal Arts classes actually make more sense to have in person than online. Hard sciences are actually the reverse.

A course like philosophy where there is no formula to find an answer should involve a lot of interaction.

Lots of good business programs online. Might help our SAs if GT offered business school online but so far as I know, nothing much started. All the money is going to salvaging the GT full time Mba - at the same time similar schools are abandoning ft two year mbas because so few students want to do it, unless you’re going to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton.

Lots of good business programs online. Might help our SAs if GT offered business school online but so far as I know, nothing much started. All the money is going to salvaging the GT full time Mba - at the same time similar schools are abandoning ft two year mbas because so few students want to do it, unless you’re going to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton.
Whats the reason for that? Didn't realize MBAs had fallen out of grace so much.

Whats the reason for that? Didn't realize MBAs had fallen out of grace so much.
Opinion based on my experiences - It's not that MBAs are falling, it's that fulltime MBA programs aren't very desirable. I work. Most of the kids I was enrolled with worked. Part-time MBA / online MBA is all the rage (although I will maintain that online MBA courses are cash grabs and provide no substance whatsoever, and that's saying a lot for a degree as ...light... as an MBA).

Opinion based on my experiences - It's not that MBAs are falling, it's that fulltime MBA programs aren't very desirable. I work. Most of the kids I was enrolled with worked. Part-time MBA / online MBA is all the rage (although I will maintain that online MBA courses are cash grabs and provide no substance whatsoever, and that's saying a lot for a degree as ...light... as an MBA).
Agreed, especially some of the for-profit schools that I've never even heard of. However not online programs are equal i.e. UNC, higher ranked business school than GT, has an online program now, also Carnegie Mellon, Indiana U. GT has a successful online CS program. Depends on the school and how it's done. Hard to justify going through two year FT MBA unless it's top 5-10 ranked and schools below that top tier are shutting down FT programs because of it.
Anyway, sports forum...might help us get SAs, especially grad transfers if we had an online program. They have crazy schedules.

I teach football players online at a rather elite private university, totally online grad school, using last year of eligibility. Played at Harvard and Stanford, good students, good degree program.
This is a cool story that would be better with more details.

I am honestly not a fan of online classes. I understand that they provide accessibility to people who otherwise would not have the opportunity to attend School X, but there are drawbacks. A big part of who I am now came from the 4 years I spent living in midtown Atlanta and attending Tech and the people I met and interacted with on a daily basis. I feel that all gets lost in remote learning.

I did my MBA while working at a tier 2 school. It was ranked top 15. It was a tough couple of years as my job required 100% travel and then my weekends were devoted to classes but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. The knowledge I gained there I still use daily. I wouldn’t go for a full time MBA unless it was at Harvard or Wharton. Even the other Ivy Leagues would make me hesitate. The benefit of going full time is not incurring the cost to attend vs working. My program had the best faculty but at insane fees. Even then the ROI was positive only 2 years later. Doing an MBA online may get you the checkbox you are looking for but it deprives you of much of the learning that is only possible in person. That comes from someone that did some of his coursework online. I looked at Carnegie-Mellon and Indiana’s distance/online programs among others. The people they were bringing in were not the caliber I needed to feel challenged to take my career to the next level.

I did my MBA while working at a tier 2 school. It was ranked top 15. It was a tough couple of years as my job required 100% travel and then my weekends were devoted to classes but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. The knowledge I gained there I still use daily. I wouldn’t go for a full time MBA unless it was at Harvard or Wharton. Even the other Ivy Leagues would make me hesitate. The benefit of going full time is not incurring the cost to attend vs working. My program had the best faculty but at insane fees. Even then the ROI was positive only 2 years later. Doing an MBA online may get you the checkbox you are looking for but it deprives you of much of the learning that is only possible in person. That comes from someone that did some of his coursework online. I looked at Carnegie-Mellon and Indiana’s distance/online programs among others. The people they were bringing in were not the caliber I needed to feel challenged to take my career to the next level.
That's exactly why I dislike online MBA courses. And, to a lesser extent, the full-time program. The full-time students were all 23-24 years old, fresh out of their BA/BS. Nice kids, sure. They hadn't worked real jobs yet, though. An MBA degree to me should just be called a Masters in Networking Arts.

But anyways, sports forum so ...uh... To Hell With Georgia. Geaux Tigers!

That's exactly why I dislike online MBA courses. And, to a lesser extent, the full-time program. The full-time students were all 23-24 years old, fresh out of their BA/BS. Nice kids, sure. They hadn't worked real jobs yet, though. An MBA degree to me should just be called a Masters in Networking Arts.

Top tier MBAs (Top 15 or so) can be a huge value. They open up positions are high prestige employers that otherwise would be difficult to get.

The lower tier MBAs also serve a purpose in some cases. For example, if someone has a BA in Puppetry Arts and can't find a job, it can enable a career change. If you have a degree from a lower tier school, you can get an MBA from a higher tier school and improve your resume.

The move I'm seeing these days instead of a top-tier MBA is a top-tier MS. It's far easier to get into a top school for an MS instead of an MBA, people value the MS specialization more (especially when it's something like engineering or CS), it's a lot cheaper, it's often shorter, and you can often find a top MS online or at night.

Back