Our offense is unimaginative

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Yeah it was an explosive offensive play... Haven't seen anything like it this year that's the point?
Nope. We will see Brown break one at some point at WR. First, need to get the TE's being a legit threat.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Minnesota 10 3 7 14 -34
Georgia Tech 0 3 7 0 -10

Team Stats Table
MINN GT
First Downs 19 14
Rush-Yds-TDs 43-260-2 44-206-1
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 7-13-132-2-0 5-12-77-0-0
Total Yards 392 283

------------------------------------------------------------------
Only 26 yards short of our last game under CPJ. Look, I was a big CPJ fan, but it was time for a change.
How soon they forget? I would be shocked if we didn't have near as bad under Gailey.

And the difference that is just being buried is we have less traditional Power 5 talent on the offensive side than likely any time since Bill Curry (not Lewis).

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I think there is a lot of overstatement going on. Does anyone remember getting shut out for a half against Pitt last year and narrowly avoiding it vs. Duke? And that was with a senior QB with a full year of starting under his belt and an O-line that should have known what they are doing. I don't mean this as a CPJ vs CGC thing. It's just that early season offensive struggles are not unusual, even under better circumstances. I am not expecting an offensive explosion like we had against Louisville last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see incremental improvement. Our cupcake and bye week come at a perfect time this year to get some things right. If the O-line injuries aren't serious, I am betting Key can get them coached up into something serviceable. Maybe we won't improve quickly enough to win many games this year, but to think that the USF game is the high water mark for our offense doesn't make any sense to me.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Agree with this.

We can’t pat CGC on the back for taking the exact same D talent as the last few years and seemingly making amazing strides in 2 games while then on the same front excuse him from taking the same O talent and seemingly running it into the ground.

Something doesn’t jive right with that.
Same talent? Really? What position did they line up Parker Braun yesterday? Or TaQuon Marshall? Or Qua Searcy? Or Clinton Lynch? Or Will Bryan? Or Andrew Marshall?

Parker, Will and Andrew were all starters on the OL last year and the others were senior starters as well. Can we stop with the BS argument that the offensive players are the same? Because those 6 were listed as starters on the depth chart for Clemson last year and aren't here this year.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
This may be the worst offensive performance I've seen in at least a decade. This was worse than any Chan game I can recall.

Less than 4 yards per rush attempt.
Less than 4 yards per pass attempt.
A third of our first downs came from penalties.
Only scored on 2 of 12 drives.
25% 3 and outs.
66% of drives got 30 yards or less.
Points per drive: 1.16

Both scoring drives benefited from 15 yard penalties on USF. Scoring drive 1 would have been 3 and out if not for pass interference. Scoring drive 2 was basically "run the QB and the RB every down." The entire rest of the game was an offensive abortion.

I dare someone to find a worse game by GT, statistically speaking, since Bill Lewis. I'm not sure Bill Lewis ever had a game that bad.

And this was versus South Florida, a team that gave up 7 TDs to Wisconsin.

Our yards-per-play actually got worse between Clemson and USF.

I got the distinct impression that someone had a playbook from the NCAA Football XBox game and was literally rolling dice to decide what play to call.

My take on the rest of the season, is that we should run Oliver and Mason zone read option two thirds of all playcalls and hope for the best. Doing so would have probably doubled our scoring output. It's the only chance we have at winning any games outside of Citadel.
My take is that you're about as good at forecasting depth and talent in football as you are at predicting recessions in the US economy.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Yeah, Beej has a short memory. it is the worse kind of message board opining: "it has never been worse than this" when it actually has and doesn't have the same "reasons" as currently. BTW, I think it is perfectly reasonable that this could be the worse GT offense in a long time: so it was interesting to me that some "good" GT teams also had awful performances.

Look at 2016 Clemson, 2012 BYU, 2011 Miami, 2009 Iowa (a very talented GT team), 2004 UGA. And then here is what got me: Gailey's best team in 2006 with a generational talent at WR:

Clemson: 3.3 Yard per play, 7 points
UNC 3.3 Y/P, 7 points
UGA 3.3 Y/Play, 12 points

and don't forget that Wake game.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
You think South Florida is a bowl team?
2018 Minnesota Golden Gophers Schedule and Results

Record: 7-6 (57th of 130)
Conference Record: 3-6
Points For: 376
Points/G: 28.9 (65th of 130)
Points Against: 345
Opp Pts/G: 26.5 (59th of 130)

G Date Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L Streak
Aug 30, 2018 New Mexico State Ind W 48 10 1 0 W 1
Sep 8, 2018 Fresno State MWC W 21 14 2 0 W 2
Sep 15, 2018 Miami (OH) MAC W 26 3 3 0 W 3
Sep 22, 2018 @ Maryland Big Ten L 13 42 3 1 L 1
Oct 6, 2018 Iowa Big Ten L 31 48 3 2 L 2
Oct 13, 2018 @ (3) Ohio State Big Ten L 14 30 3 3 L 3
Oct 20, 2018 @ Nebraska Big Ten L 28 53 3 4 L 4
Oct 26, 2018 Indiana Big Ten W 38 31 4 4 W 1
Nov 3, 2018 @ Illinois Big Ten L 31 55 4 5 L 1
Nov 10, 2018 Purdue Big Ten W 41 10 5 5 W 1
Nov 17, 2018 (24) Northwestern Big Ten L 14 24 5 6 L 1
Nov 24, 2018 @ Wisconsin Big Ten W 37 15 6 6 W 1
Dec 26, 2018 Georgia Tech ACC W 34 10 7 6 W 2

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I wonder if CPJ resigning a month before the Minnesota game had any impact on the team?

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Same talent? Really? What position did they line up Parker Braun yesterday? Or TaQuon Marshall? Or Qua Searcy? Or Clinton Lynch? Or Will Bryan? Or Andrew Marshall?

Parker, Will and Andrew were all starters on the OL last year and the others were senior starters as well. Can we stop with the BS argument that the offensive players are the same? Because those 6 were listed as starters on the depth chart for Clemson last year and aren't here this year.
Exactly, it is likely that the GT offense would have struggled this year especially early even under Johnson. Now I'm not making the case that the offense would have been bad or bad for the entire year. Tobias is good enough that he would have had a lot of success in a Johnson offense.

Throw in that 2 of our better OL got hurt in the 1st Quarter and struggles on Saturday aren't a surprise.

In fact, the way the game turned in the 3rd Quarter and that was a game that GT loses most times in the past.

beej67

new around here
My take is that you're about as good at forecasting depth and talent in football as you are at predicting recessions in the US economy.
How many wins do you think we get in ACC play this year?

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
How many wins do you think we get in ACC play this year?
No idea. But I'm not dumb enough to sit here and act like there's this plethora of offensive talent and the new OC is just wasting it all away.

When your center for 80% of the snaps of a game is a walk on who wasn't even listed on the Above The Line chart at the beginning of the game and your starting left tackle goes down after 5 snaps so you're forced to play backups there, too....you ain't gonna look like Brady and the Patriots.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I wonder if CPJ resigning a month before the Minnesota game had any impact on the team?
I think that is a fair caveat for that particular game. Now do the Duke and Pitt games without resorting to touting meaningless rushing yards from the 2nd halves when we were far enough behind that they just let us run and burn up the clock. The first half of each of those games was as putrid as anything we saw Saturday, offensively.

If you're giving one coach the benefit of the doubt for early offensive struggles, 11 years into the system, with his own players, maybe the new guy lacking all such advantages deserves it, too?

Last edited:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I think that is a fair caveat for that particular game. Now do the Duke and Pitt games without resorting to touting meaningless rushing yards from the 2nd halves when we were far enough behind that they just let us run and burn up the clock. The first half of each of those games was as putrid as anything we saw Saturday, offensively.

If you're giving one coach the benefit of the doubt for early offensive struggles, 11 years into the system, with his own players, maybe the new guy lacking all such advantages deserves it, too?
Our team in 5 years will look nothing like our team today. Larger OL with depth. Larger DL with depth. Depth at TE.