Our offense is unimaginative

This may be the worst offensive performance I've seen in at least a decade. This was worse than any Chan game I can recall.

Less than 4 yards per rush attempt.
Less than 4 yards per pass attempt.
A third of our first downs came from penalties.
Only scored on 2 of 12 drives.
25% 3 and outs.
66% of drives got 30 yards or less.
Points per drive: 1.16

Both scoring drives benefited from 15 yard penalties on USF. Scoring drive 1 would have been 3 and out if not for pass interference. Scoring drive 2 was basically "run the QB and the RB every down." The entire rest of the game was an offensive abortion.

I dare someone to find a worse game by GT, statistically speaking, since Bill Lewis. I'm not sure Bill Lewis ever had a game that bad.

And this was versus South Florida, a team that gave up 7 TDs to Wisconsin.

Our yards-per-play actually got worse between Clemson and USF.

I got the distinct impression that someone had a playbook from the NCAA Football XBox game and was literally rolling dice to decide what play to call.

My take on the rest of the season, is that we should run Oliver and Mason zone read option two thirds of all playcalls and hope for the best. Doing so would have probably doubled our scoring output. It's the only chance we have at winning any games outside of Citadel.

Quoted for when we win 7 games

This was where you made your mistake. I know my gimmick is that I used to talk about football and now I talk about drugs and whatever else.. drugs mostly.

But none of these ööööers actually know what you're talking about. They remember the last decade in its own glass, or compared to this one. But for the most part, even these skyward-nose öööööööööööös can't compare O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson to Collins. Yeah, you, suck my liquor-soaked dick.

Most of them just need to shut their ööööing mouths. Like a week ago, they should have started that.

edit: report me you little öööö

We need an image meme in our smiley list that says "This is how you Stingtalk."

Mods, make this happen.

how heavy are the goalposts you just moved?

Pretty light, considering they were using bowl stats to rebut the interrogative.

The Garner Webb response, though, nailed it. Those two games are almost dead on comparable.

Light the board up when we win 7 games.

Dude, if we can win 7 games with this group in this situation, doing what our coaches claim to want to do instead of defaulting to what our players know how to do, I will be more impressed than I have been of any staff in a long time.

I don’t think it’s that far fetched if we can just get the damn QB/Center exchange down. We had some really good things going but the snaps messed us up and any momentum we developed.
We’ll see significant improvement in the offense in time for 9/28 date against Temple. Citadel then bye week.

It’s gonna hurt if we lost Minihan for any significant amount of time. Hoping for a simple knee hyper-extension.

Ultimately the results this season will reveal the truth. We have roughly the same level of talent that we've had since 2010. Yeah, we lost starters from last year, but that's nothing new. And I think we have better skill talent right now than any year other than 2014. Our offense varied from mediocre to outstanding throughout those years, so I think it's a pretty fair expectation us to be AT LEAST mediocre this year. If so, the seemingly improved defense and obviously improved recruiting should allow us to keep competing for Coastal titles, even without the schematic advantage the 30 provided us.

Ultimately the results this season will reveal the truth. We have roughly the same level of talent that we've had since 2010. Yeah, we lost starters from last year, but that's nothing new. And I think we have better skill talent right now than any year other than 2014. Our offense varied from mediocre to outstanding throughout those years, so I think it's a pretty fair expectation us to be AT LEAST mediocre this year. If so, the seemingly improved defense and obviously improved recruiting should allow us to keep competing for Coastal titles, even without the schematic advantage the 30 provided us.
OL is really bad and really thin, but boy do we have a bunch of nice running backs!

OL is really bad and really thin, but boy do we have a bunch of nice running backs!
So you think we were better off when we had 250 lb converted TEs playing OT in 2008 and 2009? And guys who were not recruited for that offense? Hell, our OL has been bad pretty consistently, outside of a couple of key players like Shaq Mason. A bad OL is nothing new.

So you think we were better off when we had 250 lb converted TEs playing OT in 2008 and 2009? And guys who were not recruited for that offense? Hell, our OL has been bad pretty consistently, outside of a couple of key players like Shaq Mason. A bad OL is nothing new.
Dude the 2008 OL had Andrew Gardner, Cordero Howard, Joseph Gilbert, and Nick Claytor. Hell ööööing yes that line is better than our current squad.

And for laughs, the 2008 DL had Derrick Morgan, Daryl Richard, Michael Johnson, and Vance Walker. 3 NFL players.

You guys who are trying to draw comparisons between the 2008 rebuild and the 2019 rebuild are out of your damn minds

The O-line recruits in the 2020 class look to be a lot heavier. Different type of player. We are going to get better up front but it might take till midway through next year.
And all at least 6'4"

Dude the 2008 OL had Andrew Gardner, Cordero Howard, Joseph Gilbert, and Nick Claytor. Hell ööööing yes that line is better than our current squad.

And for laughs, the 2008 DL had Derrick Morgan, Daryl Richard, Michael Johnson, and Vance Walker. 3 NFL players.

You guys who are trying to draw comparisons between the 2008 rebuild and the 2019 rebuild are out of your damn minds
Not comparing the defense at all. We're all quite aware that the defense CPJ inherited is far better than what he put on the field any other year (although I think this one is more talented than any since 2008).

OL-wise, Claytor and Gilbert were freshmen in 2008, Howard was a sophomore, and we had a walk-on at OT. All were bad fits for the offense and in their first year in the scheme. Gardner is the man, but there's a reason we were supposed to go 3-9 that year. Go back and look at message board posts from that year and you will see people complaining about OL talent and talking about how good we would be in 2009 and 2010 when we got better talent to go with our skill players. It's not that different.

If that doesn't convince you, throw 2008 and 2009 out if you want. We're looking at the same talent just about every year since 2010, and the same OL issues throughout. 2014 is the only year anybody was happy with the OL. Regardless, good coaches can punch above their weight. OFFENSIVELY we did that 11 years in a row, with 2015 being the lone exception. It shouldn't come as a surprise that people now have that expectation for our offense.

Actually, I’d argue vociferously that there are a few of us that know precisely what we are talking about.
Until I meet someone at a tailgate, I am usually pretty convinced they're actually 12-16. And even if you're 16, you were born after the Gailey era began. You probably didn't know whether you wanted him fired or not, had no idea what Catholics were, or whether they were conspiring to have Chan fired in retaliation against the Protestant sabotage of O'Leary's move to Notre Dame, you still ate mashed carrots, etc. You probably had not grasped object permanence, so if you had been in the stadium while we unleashed a savage 17-2 beating on Duke in our home finale you could have just turned your head and looked away and forgotten completely about the nightmare unfolding right in front of you. Some of us were adults back then, at least one of us was trying to juggle the hell of puberty with the fact that 9/11 cost us a national championship the year before, but most everyone else here was not alive for any of that. Are you trying to tell me that you're not a teenager?

Not comparing the defense at all. We're all quite aware that the defense CPJ inherited is far better than what he put on the field any other year (although I think this one is more talented than any since 2008).

OL-wise, Claytor and Gilbert were freshmen in 2008, Howard was a sophomore, and we had a walk-on at OT. All were bad fits for the offense and in their first year in the scheme. Gardner is the man, but there's a reason we were supposed to go 3-9 that year. Go back and look at message board posts from that year and you will see people complaining about OL talent and talking about how good we would be in 2009 and 2010 when we got better talent to go with our skill players. It's not that different.

If that doesn't convince you, throw 2008 and 2009 out if you want. We're looking at the same talent just about every year since 2010, and the same OL issues throughout. 2014 is the only year anybody was happy with the OL. Regardless, good coaches can punch above their weight. OFFENSIVELY we did that 11 years in a row, with 2015 being the lone exception. It shouldn't come as a surprise that people now have that expectation for our offense.

Was kind of mentioned earlier, but I would still say that having the walk-on at Center is worse (like we did Sat) than having them at OT.

Here's the main thing though, a bit along with what you said. In 2008 we had a head coach who was a offensive guru for an offense most teams didn't care to learn how to defend. He was able to get way more out of that talent and that line than like 95% of other coaches would of been able to that year. This time around we hired a defense guy and he is in fact elevating the defense, it's just not where we needed the extra coaching ability to overcome talent shortcomings since the defense is the more talented of the two. Expecting Patenaude to be as good as Johnson is a bit unreasonable in general and even then we aren't using an offense teams aren't preparing for this time.

Pretty light, considering they were using bowl stats to rebut the interrogative.

The Garner Webb response, though, nailed it. Those two games are almost dead on comparable.
Sadly, in the GW game we were using our 3rd? string QB for most of the game who was totally ineffective running the 3O.

Sadly, in the GW game we were using our 3rd? string QB for most of the game who was totally ineffective running the 3O.
Actually the problem in the GW game is similar to what we're facing right now. That 3rd string QB was a terrible runner, just like our current QBs are terrible passers. CPJ was extremely fortunate to inherit Josh Nesbitt, a very strong runner with decent passing. I wish we had a very strong passer with decent legs.

Back