Our offense is unimaginative

Yep. CPJ's first season. A hot garbage game that needed a Dwyer miracle. No way we beat UGAg that year, did we?

Who was playing QB in that game? Nesbitt? Shaw? Some third string guy that otherwise never saw the field?

JRjr

Who was playing QB in that game? Nesbitt? Shaw? Some third string guy that otherwise never saw the field?

JRjr
Pretty sure you don't get to count having to use 3rd stringers as a valid argument for the offense performing poorly. Or so you intimated in another thread.

Pretty sure it was Booker. I think both Nesbitt and Shaw got hurt.
Booker. QB transfer from Auburn so he was fairly well regarded. However, CPJ's offense meant square peg round hole

Pretty sure you don't get to count having to use 3rd stringers as a valid argument for the offense performing poorly. Or so you intimated in another thread.

I think you’re imagining things (and never bothered to explain what you think you’re reading in that other thread), as I haven’t said anything about the OL in any thread.

It’s disingenuous to cherry pick the one game where we literally didn’t have a QB who had significant practice reps as the point of comparison.

JRjr

I think you’re imagining things (and never bothered to explain what you think you’re reading in that other thread), as I haven’t said anything about the OL in any thread.

It’s disingenuous to cherry pick the one game where we literally didn’t have a QB who had significant practice reps as the point of comparison.

JRjr
As opposed to you picking the one game where we didn't have a center who had significant reps or was even a scholarship player? LOL. Come on, man.

There was a logic to what we did in the Clemson game. We have the personnel for a rushing attack, so we went with our best rushing QB in Oliver. It worked at times, versus a top defense. Collins has said they are going to tailor the offense to the players and not run a scheme. That made sense to me and seems like a good plan for this year.

Then we come out in game 2 and give our worst rushing QB most of the series in the game. WTF? What is the logic behind that?

My best guess is, despite Collins' coach speak, they were displeased with Oliver's performance in game 1 and wanted to give the #2 QB a try. They thought he might be able to pass on USF.

I'm willing to be patient but right now it seems like we don't have a good plan on offense.

Several have made the excuse that we lost two OL early. Sure. But we have enough OL that we should be able to cope with that.

As opposed to you picking the one game where we didn't have a center who had significant reps or was even a scholarship player? LOL. Come on, man.

We’ve only got two games to choose from for Collins. (And center isn’t as critical as QB.) All of which is utterly beside the point that you failed to grasp or respond to in the other thread, which is all I’m trying to say: “but we won this one” isn’t a valid metric for comparing offensive effectiveness.

JRjr

This may be the worst offensive performance I've seen in at least a decade. This was worse than any Chan game I can recall.

Less than 4 yards per rush attempt.
Less than 4 yards per pass attempt.
A third of our first downs came from penalties.
Only scored on 2 of 12 drives.
25% 3 and outs.
66% of drives got 30 yards or less.
Points per drive: 1.16

Both scoring drives benefited from 15 yard penalties on USF. Scoring drive 1 would have been 3 and out if not for pass interference. Scoring drive 2 was basically "run the QB and the RB every down." The entire rest of the game was an offensive abortion.

I dare someone to find a worse game by GT, statistically speaking, since Bill Lewis. I'm not sure Bill Lewis ever had a game that bad.

And this was versus South Florida, a team that gave up 7 TDs to Wisconsin.

Our yards-per-play actually got worse between Clemson and USF.

I got the distinct impression that someone had a playbook from the NCAA Football XBox game and was literally rolling dice to decide what play to call.

My take on the rest of the season, is that we should run Oliver and Mason zone read option two thirds of all playcalls and hope for the best. Doing so would have probably doubled our scoring output. It's the only chance we have at winning any games outside of Citadel.
Good analysis. Though I think your final paragraph is overlooking the possibility of the team getting better as we go.

This may be the worst offensive performance I've seen in at least a decade
This was where you made your mistake. I know my gimmick is that I used to talk about football and now I talk about drugs and whatever else.. drugs mostly.

But none of these ööööers actually know what you're talking about. They remember the last decade in its own glass, or compared to this one. But for the most part, even these skyward-nose öööööööööööös can't compare O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson to Collins. Yeah, you, suck my liquor-soaked dick.

Most of them just need to shut their ööööing mouths. Like a week ago, they should have started that.

edit: report me you little öööö

This was where you made your mistake. I know my gimmick is that I used to talk about football and now I talk about drugs and whatever else.. drugs mostly.

But none of these ööööers actually know what you're talking about. They remember the last decade in its own glass, or compared to this one. But for the most part, even these skyward-nose öööööööööööös can't compare O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson to Collins. Yeah, you, suck my liquor-soaked dick.

Most of them just need to shut their ööööing mouths. Like a week ago, they should have started that.

edit: report me you little öööö

Actually, I’d argue vociferously that there are a few of us that know precisely what we are talking about.

Back