Out of the closet

General Wood - I have nothing but respect for OLeary and wish him well. But your comment that he tried to come back at a reduced rate is the first I have seen of that. I have to admit after the BC experience, I would have been one of the ones standing on the rafters screaming bloody murder if Braine had let him come back after choosing to leave. Once you decide to leave it is over and the "thrill is gone" as the song says.

Apparently the system architect was Dave Braine. If so, this is as it should be. The AD put the structure in place he wanted and selected the people he wanted to fill the positions. Most unfortunately, the result has been a complete failure.

Heads should roll, and if things are as they appear, Dr. Clough should be seeking Braine's resignation.

Gailey, well let's deal with that failure as a separate issue.

I hope Dr. Clough will act fast to investigate, take action, and communicate.

Originally posted by Nate:
general Wood- I have ideas about your identity and rope45's. i am sure i have met you. Were you friends with LT?

What your saying is right though. As a player under GOL, Your damn right when you say this wouldnt have happened. I dont want ot hear anyone pipe up that GOL left on his own---the point is he was there from 1994-2001 and it never happened period end of story. After finding out about what goes on as far as academic advising(or lack there of)is concerned, all I can say is I am thankful this system wasnt in place when I was there because some great players would have been dismissed from the team and that 10-2 season and #9 finish woulndt have happened in my opinion.

"You are the reason for your consequences" is what my position coach used to tell me. However, college athletics is not a normal situation and some people need to be pushed and watched and guided. We had people checking classes before and after class. If you missed class, you were up at 5:30 or 6 running until you puked. GOL would sit in his car with the heat or air on(depending on what season it was) and watch. If he didnt think the strength coach was running us hard enough, he would tell him right then and there.

We als ohad a policy called mandatory breakfast. Breakfast was mandatory for all freshmen, and everyone else on warning or on probation. There was a computer in the dining hall and you had a number you had to give to the attendant. This was done because people that had academic troubles didnt need to be sleeping in, they needed to be up and checked in at breakfast by 8:30. very simple but effective. GOL's philosophy was if you dont have class till 10 you could be up studying. Mandatory breakfast is a thing of the past now.

For all of you people out there that were so happy when GOL left, your beloved GT program is in shambles now. GOL was not the easiest guy to play for and a lot of the time most people did not like him but I tell you what, he could run a football team and I have a lot of respect for him and am proud to have played under him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nate: The players both present and past are the real truth sayers! There is no way in the world I would question a player who was there and realized first hand what was done and how it sucessfully worked.

More people here need to take heed of what you say, I repect you laying it on the line. None of us were as close to the situation as you and those who have come here and stated they worked internally.

We are fans and looking from the outside in but I will always be in total agreement with you on GOL as a coach and his successful reign and how he ran his program. There are too many here who try to play down the importance of his passion as a coach and leader - it's obvious you as a player gained much by going to Tech and having played for him!

I am a very good judge of who leaders are and their contributions to those they serve ... I always knew we had that kind of coach. Only players like you can have the internal insight to tell us on the outside.

Thank you!!!

MsTech, You are off base. The program O'Leary had in place for the tutoring program was scrapped as soon as he left, and a new program was put in place before Gailey was hired.

This has been explained by many on the board and should be understood by now.

It appears you are asking why Gailey changed O'Leary's program. He did not, he inherited a new program that he agreed to when he was hired. So, your accusation is completely false.

Gailey did not have the option to put a plan in place. It was set in place by Braine and was not to be fooled with by the new coach. So, why try to insinuate Gailey could do anything different here?

If your boss was Braine, and he told you to keep your nose out of the tutoring and academic staff functions, you would either do it and work within the guidelines, quit, or be dismissed.

Once this was set up, not even O'Leary could buck it. Why? Because he would not get the chance. If he were considered for the job now, he would either take it with the structure as it is, or he would not get the job. So, it is not the same anymore.

You are wrong again when you say the coach dropped the ball. He never had the ball in this situation, so he could not drop it. He could only watch the person with the ball drop it.

We hired a coach and he was told he would not be responsible for these issues and to keep his hands off. So, go ahead with your agenda and use false statements and information to assist in your Fire Gailey campaign.

rolleyes.gif

okay, I have had enough of Ahso's pompous attitude. Here are a few facts about Ahso....

1)He is not a GT alumni

2)He is not a lifelong season ticket holder

3)He is not a lifelong AT Fund contributor

I would say that Ahso's opinion, logic, and thoughts have about as much relevance to the current situation as someone from UGA.

Nate, ignore anything that comes out of Ahso's fingertips and keyboard. He knows not that which he attempts to speak of. There is a reason he was run off the Hive. He has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to GT. Nate, you carry a TON of credibility with those of us who meet the criteria I stated above. We are the ones who can make something happen, not the ilks of Ahso.

I have kept my mouth completely shut since this whole thing started. I have kept it shut because myself and many others are taking action. We are taking action where it counts... within our own family. Not on an internet message board. I encourage other Alumni, AT, and Rollcall members to address the situation where it counts and where something can actually happen. It doesn't need to be discussed in a public forum. If you are part of the family, you know who is "head of the household" and that is where that action starts.

I don't mean to belittle GT fans who are not alumni or AT members in the least. I am thankful for all of you. I am just sick and tired of reading ignorant opinions (from both sides of the fence) from people who honestly don't have any real say in the matter. I don't like my family's dirty laundry being aired out in public, and there is no doubt that this is a family matter.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
okay, I have had enough of Ahso's pompous attitude. Here are a few facts about Ahso....

1)He is not a GT alumni

2)He is not a lifelong season ticket holder

3)He is not a lifelong AT Fund contributor

I would say that Ahso's opinion, logic, and thoughts have about as much relevance to the current situation as someone from UGA.

Nate, ignore anything that comes out of Ahso's fingertips and keyboard. He knows not that which he attempts to speak of. There is a reason he was run off the Hive. He has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to GT. Nate, you carry a TON of credibility with those of us who meet the criteria I stated above. We are the ones who can make something happen, not the ilks of Ahso.

I have kept my mouth completely shut since this whole thing started. I have kept it shut because myself and many others are taking action. We are taking action where it counts... within our own family. Not on an internet message board. I encourage other Alumni, AT, and Rollcall members to address the situation where it counts and where something can actually happen. It doesn't need to be discussed in a public forum. If you are part of the family, you know who is "head of the household" and that is where that action starts.

I don't mean to belittle GT fans who are not alumni or AT members in the least. I am thankful for all of you. I am just sick and tired of reading ignorant opinions (from both sides of the fence) from people who honestly don't have any real say in the matter. I don't like my family's dirty laundry being aired out in public, and there is no doubt that this is a family matter.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HAHAHAAAAAAA

!

this HAS to be THE most RIDICULOUS post i have ever read.

Okay, ND, I will reply to each item.

It makes little difference what O'Leary did and the style of his program. We are discussing a new coach and a new style, his style. He should be judged on how much he wins against how much he loses on his own style.

O'Leary's style should have zip to do with Gailey. We will judge Gailey on his wins and losses. His first year of 7-6 was close to the previous year's coach of 7-5.

No, your opinion is just as good as mine or anyone else on any of the subjects. It does not mean your being a player or having contacts with other players guarantees all your statements are facts.

Your information gained from others at Tech, coaches, players, faculty, etc. is interesting and may or may not be true.

When I look at this board, I see huge amounts of information. These contacts are like your contacts, they state things that may or may not be true. If you pass them on, they are only as reliable as the person that told you.

If the person happens to be biased toward a certain viewpoint, that is what you will get from them. You pass it on, and it is still a biased view and may not be true.

So, when I see a statement by you or a representative of the school, I have to decide if that information sounds true, false, or somewhere in between. You may think it is true, and have passed it on as true, when in reality it may be completely biased and false.

I realize you don't think it up, but you are not beyond being fooled by a false statement from another source, especially if that source is a disgruntled one. If he is unhappy and disgruntled, his information has a high capability of being biased and being false information.

Yes styles are definitely compared in business, but a company does not always hire the same style of manager or CEO. The style of manager picked is usually according to the job required of that person and what will be expected of him.

Case in point, it appears Braine did not like O'Leary's style, so he changed some things after O'Leary left and hired a new coach with the style he preferred in the new academic system.

Now, it becomes foolish to expect Gailey to be like O'Leary. Their styles are different, but you have to give Gailey just as much of a chance as you gave O'Leary.

Now, you get down to comparing O'Leary and Gailey again. You compared them to your bias and your dislike of Gailey. You did not compare them fairly.

Let's compare them fairly. I will have to restate some of the same facts, I have stated in other posts.

In O'Leary's first 2 1/3 years, his record was 11-14. His record against UGA was 0-3, and he went to no bowls in that period. Gailey's record was 7-6 in his first year and he went to a bowl in his first year.

Since you brought up the three straight wins with O'Leary against UGA, let's re-examine that. As stated O'Leary was 11-14 until he got a new Offensive Coordinator. For four straight years with the new Offensive Coordinator, O'Leary was 33-14, went to four straight bowls, and had a record against UGA of 3-1.

Without that coordinator O'Leary was 18-20, 0-4 against UGA, and never won a bowl game. He took a 9-2 team into a bowl (LSU) without that coordinator and lost. He was a strong favorite to win that bowl.

The next year, without that coordinator, he had a top ten rated team, with a national championship home scheduled and went 7-5 with that team. The wheels literally came off the wagon.

Now, we have Gailey with a first year record of 7-6 and a bowl to his credit, and stuck with a less than satisfactory OC who did not know how to develop quarterbacks.

He gets new offensive coordinators the same as O'Leary when he was losing, and has some of his own players available, and many of the unhappy seniors have graduated.

So, what happens, the old O'Leary crowd wants to fire him and not give him the same chance they gave O'Leary. Personally, I think they are afraid he might do better than O'Leary did his second year (5-6), and better than they did last year with O'Brien.

And whose fault was it Tech got blown out 51-7 at UGA and lost to a pathetic Fresno State? It very well could have been the fault of those same Mac supporting dissatisfied seniors who laid down in those games.

Any more questions or answers needed?

rolleyes.gif

Bezerk, you are right, I am not an alumnus of GT, so what, 60% of the season ticker holders are not alumni of GT.

No, I am not a life-long ticket holder. I once had season tickets years ago when I had someone to go with (my ex-brother-in-law). No, don't have season tickets now. I have been a fan of GT for 56 years through some good times and some bad times.

How long have you been a fan, will you last that long, and will you have season tickets that long? Some like you have already threatened to withdraw their donations and forego their season tickets if Gailey is not fired. Are you one of them?

No, I am not a life-long AT fund contributor. I don't contribute at all now. I have contributed at one time when I purchased season tickets, but nothing now. So, what does that prove?

Oh, my thoughts have a lot of relevance, you just can't cope with them or the truth.

I don't believe Nate needs you to tell him what to do. He has proved he can handle himself. I would not worry about him if I were you.

By the way, I was never thrown off the Hive nor had a post deleted on the Hive, have you? If you don't believe it contact RR and ask him? I came over to this board some time back, have forgotten my old password on the Hive, and have never gone back to post there.

You might see me there again in the future. I probably still have an account over there. So, some more of your false information.

So, 56 years as a fan of sports at GT gives me nothing to talk about here. I bet I know more of the history of GT sports than you do.

I could care less what you do off the board and what you are up to in the family. I don't remember ever inviting you into the family. Since I have been a Tech fan for 56 years, you are the newcomer on the block.

There are a lot of Tech fans similar to me who have been faithful to Tech for many years and could care less if you want to be part of the overall group. Since alumni only purchase about 40% of the season tickets, it appears you are in the minority.

Your so called family are the ones coming out of the woodwork to form the pack trying to fire Gailey. It is your kind that have been airing the dirty laundry, and my kind that has been defending Tech, its coach, and its good name.

I see you have not gotten a life since our last little encounter.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I know I will get some heat from the Braine lovers, but I am the former Academic Advisor under O'leary. I also worked for Curry, Ross, & Lewis. Between me, Carole Moore, and Dave Braine, I am the only one with a Tech degree. I will still being supporting the institute when they are gone from the flats. I told Dave Braine when I resigned (forced) that this would happen. He will either deny it or refute it. It is not the curriculum, it is not satisfactory progress, it is the people and the way they conduct business. I would not do anything to cheapen my diploma nor yours. I don't have all the answers, but I will definitely share my perspective.
Out of everybody involved, I'll admit I made mistakes, they won't.

Ahso brings up some good points. It appears the academic casualties are squarely in Braine & Moore's camp and that Gailey had little choice when accepting the job or doing things which went against the system that Braine put in place. Now, if someone has proof that it was Gailey who said "I don't want to deal with academics get somebody else to do it" then you've got a reason to blast him.

What becomes apparent in all of this is that Gailey isn't what we were told initially when he was presented as somebody who could come in and take over without a learning curve. What we actually ended up with was someone who grossly underestimated what he was getting into and has been forced to play catch up since day one. This season will determine if he has learned his lessons or if he is truly someone who is stubborn and refuses to learn. Either way he fielded a team that was poorly coached this year and the bad luck had a lot to do with poor preperation.

On O'Leary, I was always a big fan of his but I didn't think when he left and I still don't think today that he was the future for Tech. He was being outcoached his last year and displayed a poor attitude by calling out his own players and basically had his team quit on him as the season progressed. I also firmly believe that O'Leary likely would have gotten his butt kicked by UGA last year as well. We are talking about a team that had everything click their final 3 games of the season which unfortunately began with our game. Funny thing is that many of the same players that seemed to quit on O'Leary also seemed to quit on Gailey (perhaps they were a large part of the equation).

Overall, I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what O'Leary did or how he ran his program. Nor am I saying that Gailey is doing things the right way now. However, I do think that Gailey's true potential will show through this year and we will all see where the chips will fall. O'Leary left us and I don't fault him for that but I still think that he was beginning to slip and only preserved his reputation by leaving when he did.

Finally, I do believe that Braine should be held accountable along with Moore and that somebody needs to be taken out publicly to show that this type of mismanagement and incompetence will not be accepted at Tech.

P.S. - BEESerk, from one "family" member to another, your post is by far the most shallow one I have read in sometime. You may not agree with Ahso but there are much better ways to handle your disagreement then post like that. Argue your point with some sound logic and reason and if in the end you don't agree then agree to disagree.

thanks for responding, and for the record I will answer your questions

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

How long have you been a fan, will you last that long, and will you have season tickets that long? Some like you have already threatened to withdraw their donations and forego their season tickets if Gailey is not fired. Are you one of them?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wow, you sure did make a lot of assumptions. Why do I always find my self using that word "assumption" when responding to your posts? I have been a fan since 1989 when I decided to come to Tech. My loyalty is to the kids who step foot onto the Flats to play a game for the enjoyment of all of us, not whoever happens to be the administrator or coach. I said actions were being taken. I did not say what those actions were. It is par for the course for you to assume that means I am personally witholding donations or season ticket purchases. For the record, nothing could be further from the truth. I have fulfilled all of my financial obligations to GTAA for the year, and intend on continuing that for as long as I live and can afford it.

No, I am not a life-long AT fund contributor. I don't contribute at all now. I have contributed at one time when I purchased season tickets, but nothing now. So, what does that prove?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It proves that it is my money, not yours, that is currently paying the salaries of Braine, Gailey, Moore, and the scholarships of the SA's. I am sick of people arguing the "morality" of our current issues in a public forum when they don't have the proper credentials to participate in the discussions in the first place. Nor do you have the first hand knowledge, insight, and understanding of the issues involved. This doesn't only apply to you. This applies to the people who you argue with that lack the same credentials. Both of you are airing dirty laundry that you can't clean. Your attitude towards Nate simply pushed me over the top. While, I wish Nate had had used some better discretion... I won't tolerate your audacity to question his authority. You have no basis in which to question him in the first place.

By the way, I was never thrown off the Hive nor had a post deleted on the Hive, have you? If you don't believe it contact RR and ask him? ?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That is not what I meant. I know you were not "thrown off". I said you were "run off" because of the same pompous attitude that I see you exhibit here.

So, 56 years as a fan of sports at GT gives me nothing to talk about here. I bet I know more of the history of GT sports than you do.

I could care less what you do off the board and what you are up to in the family. I don't remember ever inviting you into the family. Since I have been a Tech fan for 56 years, you are the newcomer on the block.?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fine, but I am still the newcomer on the block who wields more power and authority than you do when it comes to GT matters. You are the one who needs to understand that your opinion does in fact carry less weight and authority than Nate's and many others. I simply have chosen not to publicly discuss my opinions because it serves no purpose. You have the freedom of speech to state your opinions, and I have the freedom of speech to tell you to mind your own business.

Your so called family are the ones coming out of the woodwork to form the pack trying to fire Gailey. It is your kind that have been airing the dirty laundry, and my kind that has been defending Tech, its coach, and its good name.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here we go with the assumptions again. My family? Just because i called you out, you assume i want Gailey fired. Please go find a quote from me where I state that Gailey needs to be fired. For someone who preaches about dealing with facts you sure find it convenient to ignore them when it doesn't server your purpose. For the record, I don't want Gailey fired.

Originally posted by GTPilot:

P.S. - BEESerk, from one "family" member to another, your post is by far the most shallow one I have read in sometime. You may not agree with Ahso but there are much better ways to handle your disagreement then post like that. Argue your point with some sound logic and reason and if in the end you don't agree then agree to disagree.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You missed my point. I WILL NOT ARGUE our current situation in Public because now it is a "family" matter. If that seems shallow... fine. Shallow it is, and I won't lose any sleep over it. However, i won't tolerate Ahso's attitude towards Nate. That is what set me off. I just happen to know Ahso's history pretty well. I wish everyone would just shutup, and let the people who can make something happen... do just that.

I understand your point and respect your opinion that it should be dealt with in private. My issue was in discounting anybody who didn't meet your criteria because I think that alienates a large percentage of our fan base and comes across as very elitist.

In my mind, fans are fans and each one has different connection and way in which they support the team. I don't think any one fan's opinion is any greater than anyone else's because it is just that "an opinion". Of course people like Nate have access to facts which many others don't have available and when he states those facts I think they do and should carry some weight. However, his, yours or anybody else's opinion is still just that and should be taken that way. Personally I appreciate Nate, Wood and many others coming over here and glad they can provide their perspective and facts that they are able to derive from their connections to the program.

Also, often times the only way action is taken in private is when the public sentiment reaches a level that forces that to occur. Therefore I think these boards and the public discussion of the matter do serve a purpose.

That's just my opinion of course and I do understand your perspective.

Originally posted by GTPilot:
I understand your point and respect your opinion that it should be dealt with in private. My issue was in discounting anybody who didn't meet your criteria because I think that alienates a large percentage of our fan base and comes across as very elitist.

In my mind, fans are fans and each one has different connection and way in which they support the team. I don't think any one fan's opinion is any greater than anyone else's because it is just that "an opinion". Of course people like Nate have access to facts which many others don't have available and when he states those facts I think they do and should carry some weight. However, his, yours or anybody else's opinion is still just that and should be taken that way. Personally I appreciate Nate, Wood and many others coming over here and glad they can provide their perspective and facts that they are able to derive from their connections to the program.

Also, often times the only way action is taken in private is when the public sentiment reaches a level that forces that to occur. Therefore I think these boards and the public discussion of the matter do serve a purpose.

That's just my opinion of course and I do understand your perspective.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We are on the same page really. There is no doubt that we need the "sidewalk fans" to fill the seats and support our program. Their support and value to the program is without question in my eyes. In fact, they make up some of the best GT fans I personally know.

I completely agree with you that the public sentiment leads to private action. However, that public debate has taken place ad nauseum since Gailey was hired. The lines have been clearly drawn, rehashed, and beaten into the ground prior to this latest incident. It is the seriousness of the latest incident that will now cause the private action to take place.

Having said that, I am out. I just pray everyone will chill out and let things play out. Arguing over whose opinion is more valid IS NOT going to do a damn thing at this point. It is way beyond that point now.

I just pray everyone will chill out and let things play out. Arguing over whose opinion is more valid IS NOT going to do a damn thing at this point. It is way beyond that point now.

I agree.

Let me clarify something that has and has not changed.

Nothing has changed in the tutoring system, it is the monitoring. When you go from three academic advisors to zero, where does the monitoring go?

Braine has insisted on just "throwing money at the problem" and Moore has insisted on "Having everything in place" . My "way out" ideas that Dave Braine's secretary (partjacket on the hive) alludes to, have to do with relationships. The relationships the academic advisor has with students and faculty are critical in the process. Without cultivating these and finding out each kid's strengths and weaknesses, you are destined to failure.

Originally posted by General Wood:
Let me clarify something that has and has not changed.

Nothing has changed in the tutoring system, it is the monitoring. When you go from three academic advisors to zero, where does the monitoring go?

Braine has insisted on just "throwing money at the problem" and Moore has insisted on "Having everything in place" . My "way out" ideas that Dave Braine's secretary (partjacket on the hive) alludes to, have to do with relationships. The relationships the academic advisor has with students and faculty are critical in the process. Without cultivating these and finding out each kid's strengths and weaknesses, you are destined to failure.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">General Wood,

Coach Curry, in Chattanooga yesterday alluded to the risk of the academic staff getting too close to the SA; kids must be held accountable for doing their own work.

Some of us (well at least me) are not familiar with the current organization structure under Braine. Specifically, do advisors also tutor? Is there an organizational separation between tutors and advisors?

Thanks.

MsTech, You are off base. The program O'Leary had in place for the tutoring program was scrapped as soon as he left, and a new program was put in place before Gailey was hired.

This has been explained by many on the board and should be understood by now.

It appears you are asking why Gailey changed O'Leary's program. He did not, he inherited a new program that he agreed to when he was hired. So, your accusation is completely false.

Gailey did not have the option to put a plan in place. It was set in place by Braine and was not to be fooled with by the new coach. So, why try to insinuate Gailey could do anything different here?

If your boss was Braine, and he told you to keep your nose out of the tutoring and academic staff functions, you would either do it and work within the guidelines, quit, or be dismissed.

Once this was set up, not even O'Leary could buck it. Why? Because he would not get the chance. If he were considered for the job now, he would either take it with the structure as it is, or he would not get the job. So, it is not the same anymore.

You are wrong again when you say the coach dropped the ball. He never had the ball in this situation, so he could not drop it. He could only watch the person with the ball drop it.

We hired a coach and he was told he would not be responsible for these issues and to keep his hands off. So, go ahead with your agenda and use false statements and information to assist in your Fire Gailey campaign.

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">YOU NEED TO START READING OTHER POSTS AND NOT JUST YOURS - READ CAREFULLY MY POST #695!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It also seems like you have your own agenda to try and twist things others say to suit your own agenda, you need to stop!!!

My post #695 is very clear in what I knew DB did and what I believe this devisive coach should have done based on his position!!!! It's VERY CLEAR WHAT I WROTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

71....I think that it is a perseption vs. reality problem. As their advisor, I felt it needed to be more of a parental role. These young men come from extremely diverse backgrounds, and need a refuge from the rigors of their coaches. I understand the coaches concern, but I treated the kids as I would want my kids treated if they were so lucky as to earn a scholarship.

The tutors have to sign documents stating what is considered inappropriate. In a rare instance would an advisor tutor when I was there. Cedric Stallworth, the current academic director for football was one of the best tutors we had. I don't know if he is still tutors or not.

Back