P. Harvin III

But isn't the hangtime much longer for punts? A kick to the goalline is considered mediocre but a punt to the goal line seems like it could be exceptional.
I don't know about that. I've never noticed the hangtimes being markedly different.

That is a good point. It would still be a push, it seems like.

Though query whether a drop kick free kick would make for a more dangerous on-side kick situation. I wonder if there are some HS coaches out there experimenting with that.
I've been to 2 games this season. In pregame and after-half warm-ups, Harvin consistently punts the ball 65+ in the air, with lots of hangtime. He is punting from in the endzone, and they are catching them near the other 30. If you could put that much hangtime on a Kickoff that lands right near the goal line every time, you'd get nothing but fair catches.

On a somewhat related note, is a drop-kick a live ball just as an onside kick? Can you even fair catch a dropkick since it has already touched the ground?

Punters are also around 15 yards behind the line when they receive the snap and 10 or so yards behind when they kick it. I would say that Harvin regularly kicks with 55 plus yards of carry, but punting net is from the line of scrimmage and not the contact point.
Dad said he was kicking 70 yards in the air pregame

A rule that makes no sense
Actually there was thought behind the rule where a muffed kick was dissimilar to a fumble in that the receiving team never actually possessed the ball. Thus it is instead a live ball resulting from a kick and can only be recovered, not advanced.

On a somewhat related note, is a drop-kick a live ball just as an onside kick? Can you even fair catch a dropkick since it has already touched the ground?
I didn't see anything in the rule about a drop kick not being live. That doesn't make sense to me, though. In a free kick (not a scrimmage kick), it is kicking the ball that makes it live, much like snapping the ball does from scrimmage.

It would be fun to find a coach willing to do something like this. Would CPJ be contrarian enough to give it a shot? He's probably thinking: "At this point, we just need to get decent at normal kicks before I spend practice on something weird."

p8y9ODu.gif

I made this because the shove was amazing. Hopefully it loads.

Could you do a drop kick/punt for an onsides kickoff? The extra hang time could make for a good shot at recovering. And i think there's no fair catch for a kickoff, right?

Could you do a drop kick/punt for an onsides kickoff? The extra hang time could make for a good shot at recovering. And i think there's no fair catch for a kickoff, right?
There's definitely a fair catch for a kickoff; happens almost every game. (???) But there's no fair catch after the ball touches the ground, which is one of several reasons why the onside kick attempt is usually made by bouncing the ball on the ground.

I think the extra hang time cuts both ways. The beauty of the drop kick would mainly be the novelty/surprise value. And maybe you could get some additional unpredictability in the ball's motion.

Great link thanks.

I wish they'd change rules to make onside kicks more doable. They're a fun part of the game.
An interesting concept that would a fun thread. How crazy does that make every game if every onside kick is 50/50

Last edited:
Great link thanks.

I wish they'd change rules to make onside kicks more doable. They're a fun part of the game.

Disagree for a couple of reasons. nothing worse to me than a team that gets their ass kicked for 59 mins, then pulls off two freak onsides kicks to stay in game. let the best overall team win. this isn't the NBA of 1985 where only the last two minutes count.

rule changes happened for a couple of reasons. first safety: they only allow only a five yard run up instead of kick coverage dudes starting from ten yards (or more, years ago) and mutilating the first line of blockers who are stationary looking for the ball. secondly: I think you now have to have a minimum of four players on each side of the ball at kickoff, so you can't load up ten on one side of the kicker and do basically the same thing...run over the first line of blockers and then swoop in over the dead bodies to recover the kick. so I think the rules are improved and you see very few successful onside kicks, which is great. I heard a tidbit on Sunday's NFL coverage that surprised me. Janokowski is something like 3 for 42 in successful onside kick attempts in his career, which seems about right to me.

bring on the cadavers....GO JACKETS!

Disagree for a couple of reasons. nothing worse to me than a team that gets their ass kicked for 59 mins, then pulls off two freak onsides kicks to stay in game. let the best overall team win. this isn't the NBA of 1985 where only the last two minutes count.
That's weird, there's nothing better to me than pulling off two freak onside kicks. The very best thing about CFB, aside from historic rivalries that have been destroyed by weak-willed athletics directors, is the weird and wonderful play, the earth shaking upset, kids storming the field, etc.

Back