PA at GT game

Serious question, has anyone emailed someone at GTAA about this? If so, what feedback did you receive?

The impression that I got was that everyone was painfully aware of how bad it was and measures would be taken to address it.

About the same feedback I got after the GT Admissions fiasco last year. We hear you, we don’t like it either, we will fix it. In their defense, I haven’t heard of any more defacing of GT alumni on the GT Admissions twitter feed. So, problem solved? Haha.

yes, i highlighted miss piggy in a new thread.
dumb bitch can choke on a box of dog flavored dicks

They need to let Chris Moore be in charge of the Gameday experience. That will coordinate with the band so we don’t end up with the overplay issues. Plus, Chris knows what he is doing and will delegate tasks such as in-game PA stuff to someone who is capable. Not a uga castaway.
I don't know who Chris Moore is, but I agree 100% that the PA should be coordinating with the band.

In fact, is there any reason why the PA can't amplify the band? That seems like an obvious use of those giant speakers, but I don't think I've heard that done.

I don't know who Chris Moore is, but I agree 100% that the PA should be coordinating with the band.

In fact, is there any reason why the PA can't amplify the band? That seems like an obvious use of those giant speakers, but I don't think I've heard that done.
He’s the band director.

It was fine Saturday too, douchebag, we won. Stop trying to get a restraining order from GT, psycho
you got just as mad about donald trump "stealing an election." go hope and change somewhere else.

Last edited:
Putting mics on the band kind of sucks, from my experience in road stadiums. I'd rather not do that - just don't play music and PA announcements over the top of the band and it'll be OK.

Literally every time GT has sent me a survey for the last few years, I've written them a paragraph about our hamfisted use of the AV system and how we could be using it for an actual competitive advantage. Things seldom seem to get better, and if they do improve by the end of the year, we forget everything at the start of the next season.

- Coordinate with the band. It's annoying to have two different songs playing at the same time. In particular, never step on the band playing White and Gold, Ramblin' Wreck, or the Budweiser Song.

- Have a good (and varied) arsenal of songs available. Rap songs (whatever the team is into, plus some classics), classic rock (stuff to get the old white people in the stands fired up), cheesy crowd pleasers (YMCA, Sweet Caroline, whatever). No Vanessa Carlton girly piano pop songs, even ironically.

- Operate the system competently. Fade songs down instead of stopping them cold. Don't skip from song to song in short bits.

- Pick your spots. Be aware of the game situation. Don't play loud music or get the crowd riled up when we're going to the line on offense. Do play loud music and get the crowd riled up when we're on defense. Watch the players and the sidelines - they can help you figure out what's warranted.

- Train the fans. You can train fans to get loud in key spots with PA announcements, stuff displayed on the video board, etc. If we'd introduced the "Yellow Jackets" thing early in the season, by the end we could get it going easily without the 30 second preamble. You can't go to the well too often or people start ignoring the requests, but even our fans proved in the last couple of games that they'll respond when the moment is right, given the right encouragement.

- Personally, I like what I've seen at various road stadiums where they do fun little bits with players and coaches (name that tune, trivia questions, etc.). Yeah, it doesn't make you any money, but it's fun and lets fans get to know the personality of the players and coaches a little more, and maybe makes you support them a little harder because you like them.

- Establish an identity. Our pregame is OK, but it lacks personality or any kind of "signature" thing - a song, a video, a cheer. (We don't have anything like Enter Sandman at VPI, or even the goofy but fun Cavman entrance videos at UVA.) We're trying with the "What's the Good Word?" thing, but we need to keep working on it.

We need to send people on the road to see how other teams do it, steal their good ideas, and come up with a plan for ourselves. I'd like to believe this could help attendance over the long term - you don't get the insane, bleachers are shaking crowd energy when you're watching at home, nor do you get the sense that you, as an individual yelling and clapping, can actually help your team win. I think a lot of our fans and students have forgotten what it can be like to be in a stadium that's going crazy and how much fun that is.

JRjr

Putting mics on the band kind of sucks, from my experience in road stadiums. I'd rather not do that - just don't play music and PA announcements over the top of the band and it'll be OK.

Literally every time GT has sent me a survey for the last few years, I've written them a paragraph about our hamfisted use of the AV system and how we could be using it for an actual competitive advantage. Things seldom seem to get better, and if they do improve by the end of the year, we forget everything at the start of the next season.

- Coordinate with the band. It's annoying to have two different songs playing at the same time. In particular, never step on the band playing White and Gold, Ramblin' Wreck, or the Budweiser Song.

- Have a good (and varied) arsenal of songs available. Rap songs (whatever the team is into, plus some classics), classic rock (stuff to get the old white people in the stands fired up), cheesy crowd pleasers (YMCA, Sweet Caroline, whatever). No Vanessa Carlton girly piano pop songs, even ironically.

- Operate the system competently. Fade songs down instead of stopping them cold. Don't skip from song to song in short bits.

- Pick your spots. Be aware of the game situation. Don't play loud music or get the crowd riled up when we're going to the line on offense. Do play loud music and get the crowd riled up when we're on defense. Watch the players and the sidelines - they can help you figure out what's warranted.

- Train the fans. You can train fans to get loud in key spots with PA announcements, stuff displayed on the video board, etc. If we'd introduced the "Yellow Jackets" thing early in the season, by the end we could get it going easily without the 30 second preamble. You can't go to the well too often or people start ignoring the requests, but even our fans proved in the last couple of games that they'll respond when the moment is right, given the right encouragement.

- Personally, I like what I've seen at various road stadiums where they do fun little bits with players and coaches (name that tune, trivia questions, etc.). Yeah, it doesn't make you any money, but it's fun and lets fans get to know the personality of the players and coaches a little more, and maybe makes you support them a little harder because you like them.

- Establish an identity. Our pregame is OK, but it lacks personality or any kind of "signature" thing - a song, a video, a cheer. (We don't have anything like Enter Sandman at VPI, or even the goofy but fun Cavman entrance videos at UVA.) We're trying with the "What's the Good Word?" thing, but we need to keep working on it.

We need to send people on the road to see how other teams do it, steal their good ideas, and come up with a plan for ourselves. I'd like to believe this could help attendance over the long term - you don't get the insane, bleachers are shaking crowd energy when you're watching at home, nor do you get the sense that you, as an individual yelling and clapping, can actually help your team win. I think a lot of our fans and students have forgotten what it can be like to be in a stadium that's going crazy and how much fun that is.

JRjr

This is what my original post looks like when it isn’t composed while still half drunk the morning after the game. Well done.

Agree with everything you say especially this. They also need to start soft and get louder when starting a song. About half the songs start on full blast, sound like s**t, then the AV person realizes it and lowers the volume. Sounds like a JV middle school volleyball game not Power 5 CFB.

Tell me more. What didn't you like about it?

Tell me more. What didn't you like about it?
I've seen it in other stadiums and didn't like it, as well. It creates phasing effects where the sound coming out of the speakers is a little behind what you hear directly from the band and it just sounds bad.

I've seen it in other stadiums and didn't like it, as well. It creates phasing effects where the sound coming out of the speakers is a little behind what you hear directly from the band and it just sounds bad.
That makes sense. I wonder if it can be solved.

I do feel like the band is often not quite loud enough, especially by comparison with the PA. Could they divide the band in two, and put one half in the south stands and one half in the north? But I don't know if that would make them seem louder or quieter.

Back