PA at GT game

Tell me more. What didn't you like about it?

Like somebody else mentioned, the delay can be problematic (especially if you're trying to sing along). Personally, it's always just felt a little amateurish to me, too, like your band isn't loud enough to make themselves heard. We don't seem to have that problem in most of the stadium unless the PA is playing over them (fixable) or the crowd is too loud (good problem to have).

JRjr

That makes sense. I wonder if it can be solved.

I do feel like the band is often not quite loud enough, especially by comparison with the PA. Could they divide the band in two, and put one half in the south stands and one half in the north? But I don't know if that would make them seem louder or quieter.
Like, with both halves playing the same thing at the same time? That would be incredibly difficult to conduct.

The only way I could see speakers possibly working is in the upper North, pointed away from the field. If you're above the walkway and directly behind the band, you can hardly hear them currently, except for the echo off Wardlaw. I actually watched the UVA game from upper East (why not, plenty of room...) and was impressed by the band's volume. I'm sure that's partially due to what I'm used to hearing from behind them, though.

I do feel like the band is often not quite loud enough, especially by comparison with the PA. Could they divide the band in two, and put one half in the south stands and one half in the north? But I don't know if that would make them seem louder or quieter.

Seems like it would be tough for the band to play in synch when they're 140 yards apart. That probably creates more problems than it solves.

JRjr

not to beat a dead horse but my kids were finally experiencing a decent YJ cheer and were looking at me like "WTF?" when that ööööing moron PA guy shut it down with that stupid soccer crap.

You need to wash their minds out with soap...

Like, with both halves playing the same thing at the same time? That would be incredibly difficult to conduct.
Seems like it would be tough for the band to play in synch when they're 140 yards apart. That probably creates more problems than it solves.
Ah, yes. That seems obvious now. I think I just successfully outed myself as a non-musician.

Mic-ing the band through the PA systems is kind of like pumping in crowd noise. When I was in band, it was a point of pride to be able to play super loud, and I think our band does a good job of that now.

A poster on a respectable tech site said that the "1000 miles" song may have been played bc it was 3rd and 32. Sounds good, doesn't work.

NWA's "100 miles and runnin" would have been far far better....

Back