Pat/Thacker Pressers

This isn't a question on the videos but rather contentment with our coordinators so far. I was thinking about the situation with Paul Johnson where he doubled as Offensive Coordinator here, and Manny Diaz taking on the role as Defensive Coordinator for Miami this year. Collins has years of experience at multiple stops including SEC schools as Defensive Coordinator. How would you guys feel about Collins taking on the additional role similar to Manny and spending more money on an OC, or adding extra staff? Ideally I prefer the positions to stay decoupled but his defenses seemed like they were pretty good and we could use the money elsewhere.

This isn't a question on the videos but rather contentment with our coordinators so far. I was thinking about the situation with Paul Johnson where he doubled as Offensive Coordinator here, and Manny Diaz taking on the role as Defensive Coordinator for Miami this year. Collins has years of experience at multiple stops including SEC schools as Defensive Coordinator. How would you guys feel about Collins taking on the additional role similar to Manny and spending more money on an OC, or adding extra staff? Ideally I prefer the positions to stay decoupled but his defenses seemed like they were pretty good and we could use the money elsewhere.
I don’t think that’s Collins management style - at least based on what he says in public. He’s very much a “I hired you to do this. I have confidence you can do it. Now, there’s the deep end.”

That’s not a knock either, and I don’t mean to imply CGC isn’t in control of the ship. I personally thrive under that management style but to each their own. It requires a self starter and someone willing to own up to mistakes and ask for help openly.

I like Thacker. Based solely on those 20 min weekly pressers during the season and camp, I get the impression Thacker is the type of guy that if you tell him to eat a bag of hammers he’ll come back to you with a bag of nails and ask you if he should eat these too. Don’t know why but just small snippets where he catches himself making sure he’s staying on brand and within the box Collins places on those.

Plus, he’s young. Freakin 36. He’s acknowledged he basically learning to call games going as far as acknowledging mistakes he made in NIU with subbing and using it as a personal lesson.

I do not think that would be useful.

Thacker is coaching the defense exactly the way Collins wants him too, and the separate job gives him more time to do the job better than the head coach could.

Your OC question assumes money would make an offensive performance improvement, and there is no evidence of this.

We will get better. Offensive line needs to gel. Offensive skill players still need to mature and get reps. Freshmen is freshmen. Could literally happen next game. Could be early next year, but our offense will gel. I predict later this year. Hopefully in time to spank Georgie.

Their pressers are always pretty good. Get to understand the thought process behind decisions. More football talk and less rah rah versus Collins. I recommend listening every week during football season if you can carve out 30mins.

Why don't you like Thacker?
I guess not so much got it backwards... It's not that I don't like Thacker, but I think Patenaude is the better coordinator of the two. When it's all said and done, players have to make the plays. When they do, coordinators look like geniuses. When they don't, they look like idiots. We've had a ton of plays that were *almost* there because somebody missed a block or made the wrong read or a bad throw.

Patenaude does great pressers.

His observation about UNC trying to dominate you physically up front and play press gives me pause. I don’t trust our downfield passing nor do I think our OL can provide enough protection for deep plays to develop.

I wonder if he’s mentioning that explicitly to try to goad them into doing something different?

I fear our best defense in this game is a ball control offense and to hope UNC presses and makes mistakes.

Think you've got it backwards there bud.
Have you counted the number of times in the past two years, the O has gone down the field with moderate ease, but once they get inside the 10 yard line, everything changes. And it's not a stout goal-line defense they are facing, it's a clueless OC who has done the EXACT SAME THING EVERY TIME they have been in that situation --- wasted, stupid 1st and 2nd down plays, chaos on the sideline trying to figure out what to call on 3rd down and taking so long they have to stop the clock, only to run yet another stupid play, and finally a too-little-too-late desperation 4th down play, or a FG attempt. Every one, or most, of those FG attempts were missed last year. This year, we have 6 points out of the 4 times it has happened. You call that a good OC??? I call him a clueless bum. If you don't believe me, look back at the NIL game (desperation 4th down after another wasted time out to change his mind), the KSU game, and 3 times against Clemson with only 6 points, and look back at at least 4 games last year with the exact same pattern.

How u kno dis?
i-heard-it-through-the-grapevine-marvin-gaye.gif

More money for coordinators won't make our OL or DL play better

I was watching an ESPN Special about CFB , I forget then name of the Series, but this segment was about Modern Day Recruiting , they interviewed Mack Brown

He said STTE of, "when I won 8 games I had 8 win talent, and when I won 12 Games I had 12 win Talent

This desire for more expensive Coordinators is amusing, take Brent Venables - what would his Playcalls have looked like last Sat without Myles Murphy and Brian Bresee on the DL?

We need more Talent on both Lines, anyone can't recruit small & fast people, the exceptional Guys are good at Recruiting Big & Fast people

Think about it, except for TE, the gap between our Skill Positions and the Elite Program's skill positions is much smaller than the Gap among both of our interior lines

Get better Talent on both Lines and both of our Coordinators will all of a sudden become hot names for promotion opportunities

In a combat sport like FB Coaching is vastly over rated, now that Urban Meyer is in a League that forces Parity among Teams, now all of a sudden he ain't a genius anymore

Who woulda thunk it?

In a combat sport like FB Coaching is vastly over rated, now that Urban Meyer is in a League that forces Parity among Teams, now all of a sudden he ain't a genius anymore

Who woulda thunk it?
[/QUOTE]

Saban coached the Dolphins about long enough to drink a cup of coffee and said F parity, I’m going back to college where I can have better players than my opponent.

Pnode just strikes me as the kind of guy who likes the smell of his own farts. Thacker is extremely green and it shows at times. The past two weeks give me hope on that side of the ball. Offensively, well I'm less impressed. Fundamentally, the concepts are sound, but head scratching play calling in certain situations consistently (red zone and stalling drives after a couple first downs by going away from what's working to try to misdirect the defense) and I don't feel like we seem to coordinate play calls with our substitutions. We've got to find a way to create a big play threat on offense because our margin for error to score on drives is too small right now (hey, remember CPJ saying that the past couple years he was here?).

Pnode just strikes me as the kind of guy who likes the smell of his own farts. Thacker is extremely green and it shows at times. The past two weeks give me hope on that side of the ball. Offensively, well I'm less impressed. Fundamentally, the concepts are sound, but head scratching play calling in certain situations consistently (red zone and stalling drives after a couple first downs by going away from what's working to try to misdirect the defense) and I don't feel like we seem to coordinate play calls with our substitutions. We've got to find a way to create a big play threat on offense because our margin for error to score on drives is too small right now (hey, remember CPJ saying that the past couple years he was here?).
I don't believe we will ever win on a consistent basis with P'Nut calling the plays.

I still think the 4th down call vs Clemson was perfect. It was absolutely perfect. Act like we are going wide (out of fear of their interior DL) then go right where they were expecting us not to go.

If you want to blame somebody for that play blowing up, don't look at pnut, look at our all-talk, no-walk OL coach.

Back