Pat/Thacker Pressers

I don’t get the Patenaude hate. Just like when we ran the option, you can frequently see where the plays would have gone had someone not missed a block here, gone to the right gap there, etc. There are some head scratching play calls, but that’s the case with every offensive coordinator. I recall sitting in the stands too many times to count with people
around frustrated by the prior system play calls. That’ll never end even if we get Belichick calling plays for us.

I don’t get the Patenaude hate. Just like when we ran the option, you can frequently see where the plays would have gone had someone not missed a block here, gone to the right gap there, etc. There are some head scratching play calls, but that’s the case with every offensive coordinator. I recall sitting in the stands too many times to count with people
around frustrated by the prior system play calls. That’ll never end even if we get Belichick calling plays for us.
The problem is that P'Nut calls the same failed sequence of plays over and over and over again. He has absolutely no clue about scoring in the red zone. In a word, he sucks

I still think the 4th down call vs Clemson was perfect. It was absolutely perfect. Act like we are going wide (out of fear of their interior DL) then go right where they were expecting us not to go.

If you want to blame somebody for that play blowing up, don't look at pnut, look at our all-talk, no-walk OL coach.
The 4th down play wasn't the problem. It was the USUAL third down time out inside the red zone, The analyst on the post-game show on TV said that one play lost the game. Tech had been moving steadily down the field and had Clemson confused and disorganized. The time out gave them time to settle down and regroup and stop the ensuing 3rd down play.

How many timeouts have we called not getting the play in on time? How many red zone appearances do we come away with no points or a field goal? How many times have we been getting yards running the same base play repeatedly only to have a drive killing negative play trying to exploit the defensive adjustment that hasn't been made yet? There are trends that are going to have to be addressed.

If you want to go by the "I saw what we were trying to do and didn't execute" reasoning, then Woody was the best DC we've ever had on the flats because I could plainly see the 1 missed assignment leading to the big play conceded every time.

At a certain point in time, you have to produce results and we don't have the dynamic offense I expected based on the bravado from the coaching staff preseason.

When my blood is cool, my opinion is we should be able to tell whether Patenaude and Thacker are good after this season. Can't judge them on one or two games, and the first two seasons are excusable due to the roster. There have been signs of good and signs of bad for both.

Have you counted the number of times in the past two years, the O has gone down the field with moderate ease, but once they get inside the 10 yard line, everything changes. And it's not a stout goal-line defense they are facing, it's a clueless OC who has done the EXACT SAME THING EVERY TIME they have been in that situation --- wasted, stupid 1st and 2nd down plays, chaos on the sideline trying to figure out what to call on 3rd down and taking so long they have to stop the clock, only to run yet another stupid play, and finally a too-little-too-late desperation 4th down play, or a FG attempt. Every one, or most, of those FG attempts were missed last year. This year, we have 6 points out of the 4 times it has happened. You call that a good OC??? I call him a clueless bum. If you don't believe me, look back at the NIL game (desperation 4th down after another wasted time out to change his mind), the KSU game, and 3 times against Clemson with only 6 points, and look back at at least 4 games last year with the exact same pattern.
Totally agree. It’s year 3 and expecting him to change is a fools errand. He is what he is. To me it is obvious we waste practice time. We aren’t crisp in anything. Nothing. If he knew that was his go to play it should have been repped so many times that those players could do it in their sleep. But this ATL stuff keeps reps down for those who really need them. And not for nothing, if that tight end is the best we got we might as well go 4 wide with receivers. And how hard is it to have installed a jumbo package for 1st and goals inside the 5?

Totally agree. It’s year 3 and expecting him to change is a fools errand. He is what he is. To me it is obvious we waste practice time. We aren’t crisp in anything. Nothing. If he knew that was his go to play it should have been repped so many times that those players could do it in their sleep. But this ATL stuff keeps reps down for those who really need them. And not for nothing, if that tight end is the best we got we might as well go 4 wide with receivers. And how hard is it to have installed a jumbo package for 1st and goals inside the 5?
EXACTLY !!!

How many timeouts have we called not getting the play in on time? How many red zone appearances do we come away with no points or a field goal? How many times have we been getting yards running the same base play repeatedly only to have a drive killing negative play trying to exploit the defensive adjustment that hasn't been made yet? There are trends that are going to have to be addressed.

If you want to go by the "I saw what we were trying to do and didn't execute" reasoning, then Woody was the best DC we've ever had on the flats because I could plainly see the 1 missed assignment leading to the big play conceded every time.

At a certain point in time, you have to produce results and we don't have the dynamic offense I expected based on the bravado from the coaching staff preseason.

Not that I entirely disagree with the points, but not sure the coaching staff hype description is the proper gauge for expected performance. Would you of been happier if they had say "we're going to be mediocre on offense this season" and it ended up being correct?

Not that I entirely disagree with the points, but not sure the coaching staff hype description is the proper gauge for expected performance. Would you of been happier if they had say "we're going to be mediocre on offense this season" and it ended up being correct?
When every set of offensive plays in the red zone over the past 2 years has been exactly the same with the same results, it is not player execution; it is stupid and stubborn coaching.

He’s a lousy OC. ZERO—- and I do mean ZERO capacity to develop a QB as far as I can tell. Time to move on.

When every set of offensive plays in the red zone over the past 2 years has been exactly the same with the same results, it is not player execution; it is stupid and stubborn coaching.

Show your work here please. Not sure I’ve ever seen us run that 4th down play from the Clemson game before.

I still think the 4th down call vs Clemson was perfect. It was absolutely perfect. Act like we are going wide (out of fear of their interior DL) then go right where they were expecting us not to go.

If you want to blame somebody for that play blowing up, don't look at pnut, look at our all-talk, no-walk OL coach.
Can’t make chicken salad...

Show your work here please. Not sure I’ve ever seen us run that 4th down play from the Clemson game before.
I didn't say that we had. I said that the redzone play calling over the past 2 years has followed exactly the same sequence, never producing more than 3 points. That sequence is two wasted downs, chaos on the sideline necessetating a time out followed by a totally disorganized 3rd down play, which was then followed by a too-little-too-late end zone attempt or a FG (mostly missed last year). I never meant to say that the plays were all exactly the same. But the results have been. If you can't see that pattern, then you are blind.

Have you counted the number of times in the past two years, the O has gone down the field with moderate ease, but once they get inside the 10 yard line, everything changes. And it's not a stout goal-line defense they are facing, it's a clueless OC who has done the EXACT SAME THING EVERY TIME they have been in that situation --- wasted, stupid 1st and 2nd down plays, chaos on the sideline trying to figure out what to call on 3rd down and taking so long they have to stop the clock, only to run yet another stupid play, and finally a too-little-too-late desperation 4th down play, or a FG attempt. Every one, or most, of those FG attempts were missed last year. This year, we have 6 points out of the 4 times it has happened. You call that a good OC??? I call him a clueless bum. If you don't believe me, look back at the NIL game (desperation 4th down after another wasted time out to change his mind), the KSU game, and 3 times against Clemson with only 6 points, and look back at at least 4 games last year with the exact same pattern.
Ok. So here are all of our possessions inside the 10 yard line for the past two years. TL;DR version is we had 21 possessions inside the 10 yard line, 13 TDs, 4 FGs, 1 blocked FG, 1 fumble, 2 turnover on downs. The blocked field goal was after 3 straight runs, a penalty and a pass attempt. The fumble was on 2nd down after a run on 1st down. One of the FG's against Clemson was when we had 1st and goal from the 10 with only 15 seconds left before half and one timeout. Sure you can run it once there but only once, and we did on 2nd down and had to use the TO. The 2nd one we absolutely had to score so we were trying everything, plus we're playing one of the best fronts in CFB, so you play percentages and I'm not sure I'd run it straight into the teeth of that defense. The only really bad call to me was when we got that last first down, I wouldn't have called the timeout there, I would've run it on 1st down while they were on their heels and then called timeout if we didn't get it. That timeout didn't come from the OC, so that's not on him. And to that same point, the timeout in the NIU game wasn't called by him either and that was a bonehead move by our HC, should've just kicked the FG. Also, if you go back and re-watch, that 2nd down play where we had to burn a timeout against NIU, they started the play clock as soon as the previous play ended which was a run by Mason up the middle. There was a pile up of players they had to unstack and really should've reset the play clock. By the time everybody was up it was already under 25, so when the play came in, Jordan didn't pay attention that the play clock was about to expire and we had to call one before he took a delay. Still not sure what you were talking about against KSU seeing as we were 5/5 inside the redzone that game. If anything, the Clemson game is the only outlier, and they have an elite defense, so I can understand trying to get creative with play-calling there. The timeout we had to take on 3rd down there hurt, but the play call was in, you could see the sidelines telling them to run it and Jordan was clearly confused, he didn't get the call so we had to call timeout. Anyway, below are all of our 10 yard line and in possessions for the past 2 years. I don't see too many bonehead calls in there and surely don't see any trend towards what you are referring to:

1 – FSU 1st and goal from the 5 yard line - Blocked FG
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards – 15 yard penalty on GT.
  • 1st and G from 20 – Jordan Mason run for 6 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 14 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.
  • 3rd and G from 12 – Jeff Sims pass to Malachi Carter for 7 yards.
  • 4th and G from 5 – FG Blocked.

2 – UCF 1st and goal from the 6 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jamious Griffin run for 6 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 1 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard TD.

3 – UCF 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - Fumble
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jahmyr Gibbs run for no gain.
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard, fumble to UCF.

4 – UCF 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass.
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass.
  • 3rd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 9 yard TD.

5 – Syracuse 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jamious Griffin run for 2 yards.

6 – Syracuse 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jamious Griffin run for 3 yard TD.

7 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Ahmarean Brown pass to Jalen Camp for 9 yard TD.

8 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 6 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jamious Griffin run for loss of 2 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 8 – Jamious Griffin run for 5 yards.
  • 3rd and G from 4 – Jamious Griffin run for 3 yard TD.

9 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 5 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jamious Griffin run for no gain.
  • 2nd and G from 5 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 4 – Penalty GT 15 yards
  • 3rd and G from 19 – Jeff Sims pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 19 yard TD.

10 – Boston College 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.

11 – Boston College 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jahmyr Gibbs run for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 9 – James Graham pass incomplete.
  • 4th and G from 9 – James Graham pass incomplete – defensive PI
  • 1st and G from 2 – Ahmarean Brown run for 2 yard TD.

12 – Notre Dame 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 2nd and G from 1 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard TD.

13 – NC State 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 1 – False Start GT
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jordan Mason run for 5 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 1 – False Start GT
  • 2nd and G from 6 – Jeff Sims loss of 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 7 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass
  • 4th and G from 7 – 26 yard field goal good.

14 – NC State 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 10 – Incomplete Pass
  • 2nd and G from 10 – Jeff Sims run for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 10 – Dontae Smith run for 5 yards.
  • 4th and G from 5 – 24 yard field goal good.

15 – Pitt 1st and goal from the 2 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 2 – Incomplete Pass
  • 2nd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for no gain
  • 3rd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 1 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard TD.

16 – NIU 1st and goal from the 5 yard line. - Turnover on downs
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jordan Mason run for 3 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard loss.
  • 3rd and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete (was called TD and overturned)

17 – KSU 1st and goal from the 9 yard line. - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 7 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 6 – Jordan Yates pass to Jordan Mason for 6 yard TD.

18 – KSU 1st and goal from the 4 yard line. - TD
  • 1st and G from 4 – Joran Yates pass to Kyric McGowan for a 4 yard TD.

19 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. (15 seconds before halftime, one timeout left) - FG
  • 2nd and G from 10 – Jordan Yates run for 5 yards. (timeout)
  • 3rd and G from 5 – incomplete pass.
  • 4th and G from 5 – 22 yard FG good.

20 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 7 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 7 – Jordan Yates pass to Dylan Deveney for 2 yards
  • 2nd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Kyric McGowan
  • 3rd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Dylan Deveney (should’ve been caught IMO)

21 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 3 yard line. - Turnover on downs
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Kyric McGowan
  • 2nd and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass to Kyric McGowan for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 3 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass to Dylan Deveney for no gain.

Ok. So here are all of our possessions inside the 10 yard line for the past two years. TL;DR version is we had 21 possessions inside the 10 yard line, 13 TDs, 4 FGs, 1 blocked FG, 1 fumble, 2 turnover on downs. The blocked field goal was after 3 straight runs, a penalty and a pass attempt. The fumble was on 2nd down after a run on 1st down. One of the FG's against Clemson was when we had 1st and goal from the 10 with only 15 seconds left before half and one timeout. Sure you can run it once there but only once, and we did on 2nd down and had to use the TO. The 2nd one we absolutely had to score so we were trying everything, plus we're playing one of the best fronts in CFB, so you play percentages and I'm not sure I'd run it straight into the teeth of that defense. The only really bad call to me was when we got that last first down, I wouldn't have called the timeout there, I would've run it on 1st down while they were on their heels and then called timeout if we didn't get it. That timeout didn't come from the OC, so that's not on him. And to that same point, the timeout in the NIU game wasn't called by him either and that was a bonehead move by our HC, should've just kicked the FG. Also, if you go back and re-watch, that 2nd down play where we had to burn a timeout against NIU, they started the play clock as soon as the previous play ended which was a run by Mason up the middle. There was a pile up of players they had to unstack and really should've reset the play clock. By the time everybody was up it was already under 25, so when the play came in, Jordan didn't pay attention that the play clock was about to expire and we had to call one before he took a delay. Still not sure what you were talking about against KSU seeing as we were 5/5 inside the redzone that game. If anything, the Clemson game is the only outlier, and they have an elite defense, so I can understand trying to get creative with play-calling there. The timeout we had to take on 3rd down there hurt, but the play call was in, you could see the sidelines telling them to run it and Jordan was clearly confused, he didn't get the call so we had to call timeout. Anyway, below are all of our 10 yard line and in possessions for the past 2 years. I don't see too many bonehead calls in there and surely don't see any trend towards what you are referring to:

• 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete (was called TD and overturned)

19 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. (15 seconds before halftime, one timeout left) - FG

• 3rd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Dylan Deveney (should’ve been caught IMO)

Good work.

A 62% TD rate on 1st and Goal ain't good.

People who wanted to hammer Clemson up with middle with Mason 4 straight times should look at #17.

2 straight runs vs Kennesaw State and only got 3 yards.

The problem is the OL. We can’t even smash mouth KSU down near the goal line.

Back