Pat/Thacker Pressers

Ok. So here are all of our possessions inside the 10 yard line for the past two years. TL;DR version is we had 21 possessions inside the 10 yard line, 13 TDs, 4 FGs, 1 blocked FG, 1 fumble, 2 turnover on downs. The blocked field goal was after 3 straight runs, a penalty and a pass attempt. The fumble was on 2nd down after a run on 1st down. One of the FG's against Clemson was when we had 1st and goal from the 10 with only 15 seconds left before half and one timeout. Sure you can run it once there but only once, and we did on 2nd down and had to use the TO. The 2nd one we absolutely had to score so we were trying everything, plus we're playing one of the best fronts in CFB, so you play percentages and I'm not sure I'd run it straight into the teeth of that defense. The only really bad call to me was when we got that last first down, I wouldn't have called the timeout there, I would've run it on 1st down while they were on their heels and then called timeout if we didn't get it. That timeout didn't come from the OC, so that's not on him. And to that same point, the timeout in the NIU game wasn't called by him either and that was a bonehead move by our HC, should've just kicked the FG. Also, if you go back and re-watch, that 2nd down play where we had to burn a timeout against NIU, they started the play clock as soon as the previous play ended which was a run by Mason up the middle. There was a pile up of players they had to unstack and really should've reset the play clock. By the time everybody was up it was already under 25, so when the play came in, Jordan didn't pay attention that the play clock was about to expire and we had to call one before he took a delay. Still not sure what you were talking about against KSU seeing as we were 5/5 inside the redzone that game. If anything, the Clemson game is the only outlier, and they have an elite defense, so I can understand trying to get creative with play-calling there. The timeout we had to take on 3rd down there hurt, but the play call was in, you could see the sidelines telling them to run it and Jordan was clearly confused, he didn't get the call so we had to call timeout. Anyway, below are all of our 10 yard line and in possessions for the past 2 years. I don't see too many bonehead calls in there and surely don't see any trend towards what you are referring to:

1 – FSU 1st and goal from the 5 yard line - Blocked FG
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards – 15 yard penalty on GT.
  • 1st and G from 20 – Jordan Mason run for 6 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 14 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.
  • 3rd and G from 12 – Jeff Sims pass to Malachi Carter for 7 yards.
  • 4th and G from 5 – FG Blocked.

2 – UCF 1st and goal from the 6 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jamious Griffin run for 6 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 1 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard TD.

3 – UCF 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - Fumble
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jahmyr Gibbs run for no gain.
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard, fumble to UCF.

4 – UCF 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass.
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass.
  • 3rd and G from 9 – Jeff Sims pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 9 yard TD.

5 – Syracuse 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jamious Griffin run for 2 yards.

6 – Syracuse 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jamious Griffin run for 3 yard TD.

7 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Ahmarean Brown pass to Jalen Camp for 9 yard TD.

8 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 6 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jamious Griffin run for loss of 2 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 8 – Jamious Griffin run for 5 yards.
  • 3rd and G from 4 – Jamious Griffin run for 3 yard TD.

9 – Louisville 1st and goal from the 5 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jamious Griffin run for no gain.
  • 2nd and G from 5 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 4 – Penalty GT 15 yards
  • 3rd and G from 19 – Jeff Sims pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 19 yard TD.

10 – Boston College 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.

11 – Boston College 1st and goal from the 9 yard line - TD
  • 2nd and G from 9 – Jahmyr Gibbs run for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 9 – James Graham pass incomplete.
  • 4th and G from 9 – James Graham pass incomplete – defensive PI
  • 1st and G from 2 – Ahmarean Brown run for 2 yard TD.

12 – Notre Dame 1st and goal from the 3 yard line - TD
  • 2nd and G from 1 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard TD.

13 – NC State 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 1 – False Start GT
  • 1st and G from 6 – Jordan Mason run for 5 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 1 – False Start GT
  • 2nd and G from 6 – Jeff Sims loss of 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 7 – Jeff Sims incomplete pass
  • 4th and G from 7 – 26 yard field goal good.

14 – NC State 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 10 – Incomplete Pass
  • 2nd and G from 10 – Jeff Sims run for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 10 – Dontae Smith run for 5 yards.
  • 4th and G from 5 – 24 yard field goal good.

15 – Pitt 1st and goal from the 2 yard line - TD
  • 1st and G from 2 – Incomplete Pass
  • 2nd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for no gain
  • 3rd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 1 – Jeff Sims run for 1 yard TD.

16 – NIU 1st and goal from the 5 yard line. - Turnover on downs
  • 1st and G from 5 – Jordan Mason run for 3 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 2 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard loss.
  • 3rd and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass to Jahmyr Gibbs for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete (was called TD and overturned)

17 – KSU 1st and goal from the 9 yard line. - TD
  • 1st and G from 9 – Jordan Mason run for 2 yards.
  • 2nd and G from 7 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 3rd and G from 6 – Jordan Yates pass to Jordan Mason for 6 yard TD.

18 – KSU 1st and goal from the 4 yard line. - TD
  • 1st and G from 4 – Joran Yates pass to Kyric McGowan for a 4 yard TD.

19 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. (15 seconds before halftime, one timeout left) - FG
  • 2nd and G from 10 – Jordan Yates run for 5 yards. (timeout)
  • 3rd and G from 5 – incomplete pass.
  • 4th and G from 5 – 22 yard FG good.

20 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 7 yard line. - FG
  • 1st and G from 7 – Jordan Yates pass to Dylan Deveney for 2 yards
  • 2nd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Kyric McGowan
  • 3rd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Dylan Deveney (should’ve been caught IMO)

21 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 3 yard line. - Turnover on downs
  • 1st and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Kyric McGowan
  • 2nd and G from 3 – Jordan Yates pass to Kyric McGowan for no gain.
  • 3rd and G from 3 – Jordan Mason run for 1 yard.
  • 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass to Dylan Deveney for no gain.
I will certainly give you credit for researching this matter, and I do not dispute any of it. One thing you didn't mention was the seemingly constant use of time outs on 3rd downs, because there was chaos on the sideline. I would think that a good OC would already have a red-zone plan in place (with variations, of course, depending on circumstances). So why is there so much indecision on those possessions, and almost always a timeout called because of chaos on the sideline? Watching P'nuts offenses the past 3 years, they are just predictable and not the least innovative. Someone mentioned the shovel pass at the end against Clemson. Why wait till a critical time like that to pull a surprise play, when to my knowledge it has never been used before. Perhaps if we had used it at least a couple of times prior to that, the lineman might not have turned the wrong way, prohibiting the play from working. I look back at some really good OC's we have had at Tech, most notably the Fridge, and I sure don't see any similarities there. Even Pat Nix, whom I despised, was more innovative than P'Nut. I and many whose comments I have read continually wonder why he doesn't put Gibbs and Mason in at the same time. But I guess a 2-back set is too much like CPJ's A-back and B-back, to allow that to be done again. SHEESH Sorry, but I just don't think will ever win with any consistency with him as OC.

A 62% TD rate on 1st and Goal ain't good.
Take out the Clemson game which to me is a clear outlier in our play calling, take out the fumble which can't be attributed to a failure or success or play calling, and you have 13/17 which is 76.5% TD rate.

Take out the Clemson game which to me is a clear outlier in our play calling, take out the fumble which can't be attributed to a failure or success or play calling, and you have 13/17 which is 76.5% TD rate.
Why take out the Clemson game? The same bad calls were made in that game that have been made in all the others, plus the chaos on the sideline 3rd downs.

A good throw on 3rd down to Delaney before our second field goal and we have the only TD of the year against Clemson. Yates missed the open man.

One thing you didn't mention was the seemingly constant use of time outs on 3rd downs, because there was chaos on the sideline.
I actually did mention that, maybe you failed to see it. We used a TO against NIU on 2nd down because we were about to take a delay of game. It wasn't a chaos debacle on the sidelines, the previous play was a run up the middle in which Mason got stopped short and there was a pileup. Play clock started immediately and it took a while to clear the pile. Mason was still on the ground and the playclock was already down to 25. It should have been reset. By the time we got the play call in, Jordan didn't look up at the clock and we were about to take a delay so we had to call TO from the sideline. TV replay doesn't show it but I was at the game, we came back out in the exact same formation so we weren't indecisive on a play call, we actually came out and ran the same play we had called. The next timeout was the one called by the HC on 4th down because of the booing of him sending the kicker out. That one was boneheaded but still not on the OC. The 3rd down timeout at Clemson you could see the coaches on the sideline that had already signaled the play call and were telling Jordan to hurry up, he didn't get the call apparently and he was confused, had to burn that one. I'll even go back as far as the debacle at the end of regulation in the Citadel game. We had just made a 1st down, at the 12 yard line with 1 timeout left. Then we had a false start. The team should've snapped the ball as soon as it was set to play because the clock started on the ready, not the snap. They didn't realize that and waited too long and coach had to go call a timeout because had we not scored on that play, time would've expired and we probably wouldn't have gotten the timeout called quick enough to send the FG unit out. Refs still awarded the timeout after the snap anyway and should've been a TD.

Why take out the Clemson game? The same bad calls were made in that game that have been made in all the others, plus the chaos on the sideline 3rd downs.
Because it's the clear outlier? You say all the rest have been the same. They clearly have not. The Clemson game skews those stats tremendously.

Ok. So here are all of our possessions inside the 10 yard line for the past two years. TL;DR version is we had 21 possessions inside the 10 yard line, 13 TDs, 4 FGs, 1 blocked FG, 1 fumble, 2 turnover on downs. The blocked field goal was after 3 straight runs, a penalty and a pass attempt. The fumble was on 2nd down after a run on 1st down. One of the FG's against Clemson was when we had 1st and goal from the 10 with only 15 seconds left before half and one timeout. Sure you can run it once there but only once, and we did on 2nd down and had to use the TO. The 2nd one we absolutely had to score so we were trying everything, plus we're playing one of the best fronts in CFB, so you play percentages and I'm not sure I'd run it straight into the teeth of that defense. The only really bad call to me was when we got that last first down, I wouldn't have called the timeout there, I would've run it on 1st down while they were on their heels and then called timeout if we didn't get it. That timeout didn't come from the OC, so that's not on him. And to that same point, the timeout in the NIU game wasn't called by him either and that was a bonehead move by our HC, should've just kicked the FG. Also, if you go back and re-watch, that 2nd down play where we had to burn a timeout against NIU, they started the play clock as soon as the previous play ended which was a run by Mason up the middle. There was a pile up of players they had to unstack and really should've reset the play clock. By the time everybody was up it was already under 25, so when the play came in, Jordan didn't pay attention that the play clock was about to expire and we had to call one before he took a delay. Still not sure what you were talking about against KSU seeing as we were 5/5 inside the redzone that game. If anything, the Clemson game is the only outlier, and they have an elite defense, so I can understand trying to get creative with play-calling there. The timeout we had to take on 3rd down there hurt, but the play call was in, you could see the sidelines telling them to run it and Jordan was clearly confused, he didn't get the call so we had to call timeout. Anyway, below are all of our 10 yard line and in possessions for the past 2 years. I don't see too many bonehead calls in there and surely don't see any trend towards what you are referring to:

• 4th and G from 2 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete (was called TD and overturned)

19 – Clemson 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. (15 seconds before halftime, one timeout left) - FG

• 3rd and G from 5 – Jordan Yates pass incomplete to Dylan Deveney (should’ve been caught IMO)

From the stands, it seems like we have a disproportionate number of LONG 1st and Goal situations (from 9+). These numbers show that 1/3 of our 1st and Goals are from 9 or 10 yards out. I wonder how that compares to other teams, because it seems like a theme for us.

JRjr

I will certainly give you credit for researching this matter, and I do not dispute any of it. One thing you didn't mention was the seemingly constant use of time outs on 3rd downs, because there was chaos on the sideline. I would think that a good OC would already have a red-zone plan in place (with variations, of course, depending on circumstances). So why is there so much indecision on those possessions, and almost always a timeout called because of chaos on the sideline? Watching P'nuts offenses the past 3 years, they are just predictable and not the least innovative. Someone mentioned the shovel pass at the end against Clemson. Why wait till a critical time like that to pull a surprise play, when to my knowledge it has never been used before. Perhaps if we had used it at least a couple of times prior to that, the lineman might not have turned the wrong way, prohibiting the play from working. I look back at some really good OC's we have had at Tech, most notably the Fridge, and I sure don't see any similarities there. Even Pat Nix, whom I despised, was more innovative than P'Nut. I and many whose comments I have read continually wonder why he doesn't put Gibbs and Mason in at the same time. But I guess a 2-back set is too much like CPJ's A-back and B-back, to allow that to be done again. SHEESH Sorry, but I just don't think will ever win with any consistency with him as OC.

If you’ve run a “surprise play” a couple of times prior, it’s not really a surprise play anymore. (I assume we’ve practiced it repeatedly and either messed up or Clemson’s very experienced LB just made a great play.)

JRjr

From the stands, it seems like we have a disproportionate number of LONG 1st and Goal situations (from 9+). These numbers show that 1/3 of our 1st and Goals are from 9 or 10 yards out. I wonder how that compares to other teams, because it seems like a theme for us.

JRjr
I've noticed this too. Here's something else interesting. I broke it down into 1-5 and 6-10 yard line starts for 1st and goal. From the 1-5 yard line, we had 11 possessions, 7 TDs, 1 FG, 1 blocked FG, 2 turnover on downs. From 1st and goal starting at the 6-10 yard line, we had 10 possessions, 6 TDs, 3 FGs, 1 fumble. One of those turnover on downs we should've just kicked the FG. The other we had no choice but to go for it on 4th down.

Unless we run hurry up, we should have a RB fake an ankle injury after every run in the redzone. We have backs to spare, so switching them out isn’t a problem and we’ll save about 20 time outs.

If you’ve run a “surprise play” a couple of times prior, it’s not really a surprise play anymore. (I assume we’ve practiced it repeatedly and either messed up or Clemson’s very experienced LB just made a great play.)

JRjr
My eyes are not sharp enough to see it myself, but I was told that our lineman turned the wrong direction, enabling the Clemson LB to get through.
Practicing a "surprise play" and executing it on the field are 2 entirely different things. I still say, given that he's been there for 2+ years, he has had time to do a little experimenting on the field.

My eyes are not sharp enough to see it myself, but I was told that our lineman turned the wrong direction, enabling the Clemson LB to get through.
Practicing a "surprise play" and executing it on the field are 2 entirely different things. I still say, given that he's been there for 2+ years, he has had time to do a little experimenting on the field.

My recollection was that the Clemson lineman was down and essentially tackled our TE from his knees.

My opinion is that the Clemson LB 47 just made a great intuitive play on the shovel pass. The pulling guard got in position for the kick out block on 47, but 47 had already sniffed out the TE pulling and reacted to the shovel pass by the time the guard got across the line. A less intuitive LB there would have likely flowed more towards the option pitch on the outside and been pancaked by the pulling guard without ever seeing him there. I think it was a good call since I don't think we've ever run that play in a game and we had everyone blocked except the LB that just made an excellent heads-up play.

He didn't turn the wrong way, but when pulling, if there's nobody to kick out, you have to turn up into the hole which he was late on doing. Credit where credit is due, Skalski (Clemson LB) made a great cut to get to the inside of him, but if Johnson turns up into the hole at minimum Deveney can either push his way in or go outside of them. Skalski cut to the inside and dove wrapping up Deveney's legs and he couldn't go anywhere and couldn't create any forward momentum to fall/push his way in.

Cool, so the red zone is defined as inside the 20. Those stats are surely available. Where does our scoring and TD % rank there?

Here it is
2021 - 68th
2020 - 122nd

Last edited:
Back