Patenaude to be OC

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Someone from the Urban Meyer coaching tree or Mike Leach coaching tree?

Or more generally, something better than "beat the guy in front of you every time or we punt." Misdirection, uniqueness, numbers advantages, mismatches, etc. I believe that having something unique for other teams to prepare for can be the difference between elite and mediocre for GT. I'm not attached to the option, but it accomplished these goals with the disadvantage that it was bad for recruiting. There are offenses out there that have similar advantages and are still appealing to recruits (see Mike Leach).

I'm pessimistic that we can beat UGA at their own game, but I'll give coach Collins every opportunity to try. Maybe he really is that good at recruiting.
What I saw temple run looked more like a Meyer/Mullins offense than like anything close to uga.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Just watch a few drives vs. a quality opponent

I think this will give some insight on what to expect from a Coach Patenaude offense

A lot of variety on formations

A lot pulling by the OL which suits our Lineman

Downhill run game

Not many timing routes where the QB has to hold the ball a long time to our tackles in danger

@MtownJacket Football is literally about beating the man in front of you

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
What I saw temple run looked more like a Meyer/Mullins offense than like anything close to uga.
Which is good, since it should transition well to our personnel. And it wasn’t like we were far off from winning our division. And that is with CPJ mailing it in the last two years (in my opinion).

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
I have gone back and looked at how this board reacted to the past 3 hires to see if there is any difference between them. It seems we were pumped about oleary, glum about gailey, and 50/50 with cpj. I'm seeing a negative Nancy approach this time around, where nobody is really sure what to think. Including me. People had very sure opinions on previous hires, this time it's a different feel.
If there's one thing in life I feel confident saying: stingtalk posts are not good predictors of coaching quality.

Let's remember what the experts here reached near consensus on regarding recent coaching hires:
- Dabo is a clown, downgrade from Bowden
- Smart will make UGA look stupid for parting ways with Richt
- Miami lucked out with Richt falling in their laps
- ACC coastal coaching has upgraded with Fedora, Fuente, Bronco, etc.

Edit: don't forget that when Paul came in and was talking about refocusing on recruiting Georgia, the consensus on this board was that it was exactly what we needed to do. Years later, I think he realized his mistake and tried casting a wider net, but mbob, who wasn't part of the original decision, didn't recommit the resources and it was too late anyways. We never talk about THAT decision when we postmortem the recruiting successes and failures and our ability to assess coaching staffs. While we're at it, though, why don't we talk about what Vince Dooley did right and wrong.

Last edited:

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I have gone back and looked at how this board reacted to the past 3 hires to see if there is any difference between them. It seems we were pumped about oleary, glum about gailey, and 50/50 with cpj. I'm seeing a negative Nancy approach this time around, where nobody is really sure what to think. Including me. People had very sure opinions on previous hires, this time it's a different feel.
No. People are excited about this hire. We have a few know it alls, as we always do, who think they know better than everyone else and are projecting their own negativity. Go back and look at the polls from when CGC got hired. You're doing the same thing by making a dumbass statement like this.

JollyGoodFellow90GT#1

Varsity Lurker
If there's one thing in life I feel confident saying: stingtalk posts are not good predictors of coaching quality.

Let's remember what the experts here reached near consensus on regarding recent coaching hires:
- Dabo is a clown, downgrade from Bowden
- Smart will make UGA look stupid for parting ways with Richt
- Miami lucked out with Richt falling in their laps
- ACC coastal coaching has upgraded with Fedora, Fuente, Bronco, etc.

All of this is correct, except Coach Bronco M at UVA. Bronco can coach well and has proven so. By the way, I was one who called Dabo a clown early on. I was COMPLETLY wrong and now I look like the clown.:).

I think it's too soon to know how good or bad Coach Collins will be at Tech. However, I'm excited about the change. We clearly needed to change directions with Tech's football program. Time will tell if we will move in the right direction.

GO JACKETS!

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
Ok, so now are we saying we wish Paul had not retired?
I'm grateful for the things Paul has done for us and I'm glad he retired. This other öööö needs to stop. We can be excited about the new coach without ööööting on the previous one and we can appreciate the previous one without ööööting on the new one. Bunch of whiny bitches.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
No. People are excited about this hire. We have a few know it alls, as we always do, who think they know better than everyone else and are projecting their own negativity. Go back and look at the polls from when CGC got hired. You're doing the same thing by making a dumbass statement like this.
This. Every Tech fan I know outside of this board is excited about the hire. Maybe more so than the CPJ hire.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
I'm grateful for the things Paul has done for us and I'm glad he retired. This other öööö needs to stop. We can be excited about the new coach without ööööting on the previous one and we can appreciate the previous one without ööööting on the new one. Bunch of whiny bitches.
Yeah, I agree.

I posted that because of the apparent disappointment at the OC hire and associated whining for a “big name”.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
I’m thinking the difference between Johnson and Collins is that Johnson wasn’t so public about his offers because he felt he wasn’t going to win many recruiting battles. Collins is going into it head first. That can be good if it works but if not it’s painting a huge bullseye on himself. If we aren’t cracking top25 to 30 recruiting coupled with beating ugag a few times things will go downhill quickly.

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
As commented in another post, give him a chance. Go Jackets!

Under his direction, Temple put together two of the three highest single-season passing totals in school history (3,273 yards in 2017, 3,297 yards in 2018) and ranks 24th nationally in scoring offense this season. Individually, TU running back Ryquell Armstrong ranks second in the American Athletic Conference and 14th nationally in rushing (109.8 ypg) and wide receiver Randle Jones ranks third in the AAC and 13th nationally in yards per reception (19.35 avg.) this season.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
People are excited about Collins but are nervous about the offense. The initial reaction to the idea of hiring the Temple OC was mixed, but took a downturn after the bowl game and comments by Collins and maybe the AD about NFL focus. Some of it is know it alls but some of it is the belief that we can't achieve much with a conventional offense.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I like the idea of Lucas Johnson running this Spread Option Offense and than Jordan Yates taking over! I am Interested to see who comes to coach our O-line? That is going to be the job... Is Brent Key coming with the anoucement after the Bama game???

beej67

new around here
Dabo was and is a clown, and while he was still interjecting himself into the on-field coaching decisions, you could guarantee at least one WTF moment from the clemson sideline, maybe three, per game. Dabo only became a "great coach" when he stopped coaching and started focusing on his talents, which are selling used cars. He's really good at selling to recruits, and equally good at selling to boosters.

If you're a football factory school with nigh infinite money, having a used car salesman as a HC can really work well.

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
Just watch a few drives vs. a quality opponent

I think this will give some insight on what to expect from a Coach Patenaude offense

A lot of variety on formations

A lot pulling by the OL which suits our Lineman

Downhill run game

Not many timing routes where the QB has to hold the ball a long time to our tackles in danger

@MtownJacket Football is literally about beating the man in front of you
Thanks for the video. I saw a lot of concepts in the first series as well. Zone read, shotgun veer, 5 WRs, etc. My complaint on running everything from the gun is that it’s easy to lose the toughness it takes to grind out yards in the red zone or short yardage situations. That said, I’ll reserve judgement until more info is out.