Patenaude to be OC

Chan Gailey was and is like Hillary is to Trump for many GT message board types. Never understood why he was thrown in with BL. Chan was a decent coach who could not beat UGA (mostly great teams). I was ready for him to go but the vitriol was strong from many.

6 points against Wake in the ACCCG with Calvin Johnson.

JRjr

6 points against Wake in the ACCCG with Calvin Johnson.

JRjr
Yes that too. Even though I think he only had to win 1 of 2 that year to keep the fan base from turning on him completely. He had to beat UGA or Wake. The UGA game mattered a lot more to me. Losing 6 in a row to them with a better team and TC running all over them was so demoralizing.

I get that but PJ could have lost 70-7 three or four times to Clemson and UGA if they had wanted and folks still love him so much. I think it’s because he beat UGA three times. For me it mattered a lot. If PJ had not won in 2014, that season would not be nearly as special. Beating UGA just means so much.

Yep. It all comes down to this to me. If Gailey goes 2-4 he would have been here a lot longer and remembered very differently. Even 1-5 with a win in 2006 and I doubt he gets fired. He actually had some really nice wins in 2007. But folks were just so pissed after 2006.

I get that but PJ could have lost 70-7 three or four times to Clemson and UGA if they had wanted and folks still love him so much. I think it’s because he beat UGA three times. For me it mattered a lot. If PJ had not won in 2014, that season would not be nearly as special. Beating UGA just means so much.

Which Gailey team do think would not be capable of losing 70-7 to this year's Clemson or UGA teams? The fact is that CPJ never lost 70-7 to anyone, or even 51-7 to anyone, not even once, even with the rediculously injured team we had in 2015 makes this argument silly.

If O'leary had lost to UGA or Clemson 70-7 people wouldn't have as many good things to say about him either; but the FACT is that such a beat down never happened. What would Bobby Ross' legacy be if he got a beat down from UGA in 1990? Who cares, it never happened.

Last edited:
Which Gailey team do think would not be capable of losing 70-7 to this year's Clemson or UGA teams? The fact is that CPJ never lost 70-7 to anyone, or even 51-7 to anyone, not even once, even with the rediculously injured team we had in 2015 makes this argument silly.

I don’t think any of Gailey’s teams would have. They were much more talented than the current GT teams. This year’s UGA team was not as good as 2002/2005/2007/2012/2017.

Clemson is great but they were not killing teams prior to GT this year. But if Dabo did not like PJ he could have won by whatever score he wanted this year. 51-7 would have been very easy. Same with UGA. They could have won by as many as they wanted. It was 38-7 at half and 45-7 early 3rd. Uga could have won 70-7 no problem this year.

I was there for the uga 51-7 game and it was the most miserable I have ever been as a Tech fan (the Lewis stuff predates me). The team absolutely quit that day and it was demoralizing. It wasn’t 51-7 where we just got beat soundly by a better team.....it was a complete lack of pride against a rival. It was disgusting.

That because GT is the game they switched to trevor Lawrence and they only killed us AFTER that.

If O'leary had lost to UGA or Clemson 70-7 people wouldn't have as many good things to say about him either; but the FACT is that such a beat down never happened. What would Bobby Ross' legacy be if he got a beat down from UGA in 1990? Who cares, it never happened.
If our whole business model offensively and defensively wasn't built around running the clock and shortening the game, yes Clemson or UGAg not just could have, they definitely WOULD have hung 51 on us. Clemson was only 2 points away.

If our whole business model offensively and defensively wasn't built around running the clock and shortening the game, yes Clemson or UGAg not just could have, they definitely WOULD have hung 51 on us. Clemson was only 2 points away.
You think Chan's model was any different?

You think Chan's model was any different?
Not to the extreme of option football on offense, and Tenuta was the 180 degree opposite of bend-but-don't-break, rush 4, corners 10 yards back on defense.

That because GT is the game they switched to trevor Lawrence and they only killed us AFTER that.

Yeah but Bryant was still around. Lawrence was 13-18 for 176. We could have lost 77-7 that day easily if Dabo wanted to give Lawrence more reps. The week before Southern lost to them 38-7. The week after they beat Syracuse in the last minute (when Bryan quit and Lawrence was concussed).

Point is we were overmatched badly but Dabo nor Smart needed to beat us any worse. The game was over early in the 2nd so they just got reps for their 3rd string.

Yeah, it's fine to say CPJ had higher highs than Gailey, but to say he didn't have at least equal lows is willful denial. Bowl loss to Air Force was as ugly as anything in the Chan era.

The Chan vs. PJ argument really boils down to the fact that PJ gave us a better chance to win BIG. Period. Chan was never, ever going to have a roster more talented than 2006, and he absolutely blew it that year. We got humiliated on College Gameday by Clemson before they were even good, lost to our biggest rival (who had just lost to Kentucky and Vanderbilt), and lost 9 to ööööing 6 to Wake Forest in one of the most frustrating GT games I have ever watched. It was utter offensive incompetency with a roster loaded with talent.

Overall, PJ's record was fairly similar to Gailey's. But 2009 and 2014 were always there to provide proof that he CAN take you to the next level with the right pieces (mainly just a good QB). That's the difference.

Yeah but Bryant was still around. Lawrence was 13-18 for 176. We could have lost 77-7 that day easily if Dabo wanted to give Lawrence more reps. The week before Southern lost to them 38-7. The week after they beat Syracuse in the last minute (when Bryan quit and Lawrence was concussed).

Point is we were overmatched badly but Dabo nor Smart needed to beat us any worse. The game was over early in the 2nd so they just got reps for their 3rd string.
No your point was that GT would’ve been destroyed by the bad version of Clemson which is untrue. We were hanging in the game while Bryant played.

Your point is that the talent gap between GT and Clemson has grown so great that they would dismantle us even when they weren’t dismantling other teams.

Beating UGA is worth 3 wins.

Back