Patenaude

Discussion in 'Football' started by coit, Sep 7, 2019.

1. whenyousaybud

whenyousaybud Bill Donaldson IRL @ me and taste steel

Loc:
    Suspended
    Team:
    Your Mom
    IF YOU REMOVE ALL THE LOSSES AND BAD YEARS EVERYONE LOOKS GREAT. CPJ WAS A HORRIBLE COACH AND WE SHOULD ASK THE NCAA TO REDACT OUR BOWL WINS AS WELL AS THE WINS OVER THE DAWGS.

WE DID NOT ***WIN WITH SWAG*** AND THAT IS WHAT RECRUITS WANT @GT98 NOT VICTORIES.

• Like Like x 3
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  2. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    I am absolutely giving Paul credit for better coaching of Gailey’s players. I have always credited him as a genius at calling plays. I think the prediction had more to do with uncertainty of Paul running option than it had to do with the players.

Where Paul sucked was recruiting. And it got worse over time to the point where his skill at calling plays could no longer mask the Jimmy/Joe issues we were having.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. jacket67

jacket67 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tech Motel
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It's way too early to judge a new OC just two games into a complete overhaul. But I am a little concerned about a head coaching bringing a bunch of previous coaches with him to a new job, since it adds a more personal component to their relationship. It is harder to let an assistant coach go and bring in someone else if they have that kind of relationship. Hope we don't get stuck with another Sewak.

• Like Like x 1
  4. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    There were huge gaps in the roster CPJ inherited. JfN was a beast; but not a P5 QB and would not have started for anyone else in P5 even though he proved to be a great option QB in CPJ's system. OL had to be pieced together with a walk on DL as a center. There were certainly some stars; but the roster was not solid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  5. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    Fair enough. But in terms of that list of coaches, CPJ inherited a better roster than most.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JacketForLife

JacketForLife No more small ball, thanks

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    We didn't have to have a walk-on DL as center.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My goal is to be a repetitive drone on this board on the topic of the evils of unconstrained sexuality. There are other posters whose goal is to be a repetitive drone on the topic of how much CPJ sucked.

But I enjoyed many, many incredible moments in GT football under his tenure. And that's sufficient for me to have fond memories of the guy. (Then again, that's why I also have fond memories of CCG – Auburn, Miami, several months of 2006... Perhaps this observation renders my opinion worthless!)

• Like Like x 5
  8. JacketFan77

JacketFan77 Bokonon High Priest

Loc:
    High on a mountain top
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I wish @EffortWarrior79 would chime in on this one. Dude had a pretty sharp perspective on CPJ and a few of those early years with him. @JacketForLife has been dancing on CPJ’s grave since the retirement was announced, though I don’t really remember him posting much before then.

• Like Like x 4
  9. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bedford was definitely a walk on and won an award for it. I am pretty sure he started out on DL. Go back to 2008 and look at some of the posts on here about how excited everyone was about how that offense would run after we got an offense line.

10. JacketForLife

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    I think @EffortWarrior79 did a great, phenomenal job, not trying to critique him. Just stating that there were players there capable, not to just say "oh no, nobody was there, we had zero talent there" like your post insinuates. It kinda takes away from both EW79 and the guys he beat out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    This is me. With the exception of Lewis, I’ve got some fond memories of each of our coaches (those for which I have been alive and old enough to remember) and each deserves respect for their time here.

But CPJ is but one of those. He is not the savior of Tech football. He was a solid coach while here who produced some great seasons and a few abysmal seasons. Tech football is not going to end with CPJ’s retirement.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JacketForLife

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    What constitutes a sharp perspective? I don't recall him being recruited by PJ

13. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He did a great job; but there were very few bodies there for him to beat out. David Brown was recruited as a SDE (https://247sports.com/player/david-brown-45001/) want to guess what position he played?

14. GT98

GT98 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    parts unknown
    And which coaches have a better record against UGA in the last 50? And the last time GT went to the Orange Bowl? I think that you don't have an understanding of what GT has done on the field on a historical basis since the 50s.

Yes, overall, I do think that he did quite good. Go back and look at the list--why do you think that GT has topped out with good coaches at 58-60% over the last 50 years? I'll give you a hint it ain't just the coach.

I enjoyed CPJ after the play not to lose of Channy. CPJ's deficiencies with defense and special teams was catching up to him against better opponents.

I'm excited to see what CGC and staff can do as well as they can answer a long held question of whether or not you can recruit to GT a high level on a more consistent basis versus an outlier year here or there. I'll be estatic if CGC takes us to 2 Orange Bowls in the next decade.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JacketForLife

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    Not sure what you're getting at but DB played right tackle for us IIRC.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  16. aeromech

aeromech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Point I am getting at is that OL was very thin and CPJ had to convert players to patch it together. The roster he inherited was not solid.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 2
  17. JacketForLife

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    That’s revisionist history. The players there were good, it wasn’t thin. I know for a fact.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GT65_UGA89

GT65_UGA89 ATL poster

Loc:
    N Forsyth
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    CCG 2006-2007 - 16-11, 1 ACCCG (L- WF 6-9), 0-2 bowls (Gator, Humanitarian)
    CPJ 2008-2009 - 20-7, 1 ACCCG (W- CU 39-34), 0-2 bowls (CFA-Peach, Orange)

This is about as close as you can get at comparing the CCG to CPJ transition. If CPJ inherited better players, he seems to have done a bit more with them than CCG did.

What else can we do here -
    CCG, 4 years prior to '06-'07- 14-12
    CPJ, 4 years after '08-'09- 14-13

CPJ 2014- 11-3, 2015-2018- 14-13

In comparison, highs were higher under CPJ, and the lows were lower.

All said and done, CBR took us to the ultimate high, and CGO'L (34-14 from '98-'01) brought the most consistency.

I'd rank the 4 this way-

1A- O'Leary (Friedgen)
    1B- Ross
    3- Johnson
    4- Gailey

• Like Like x 2
  19. JacketForLife

Loc:
    Your Head
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    Nice assessment. I'd agree.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    A reasonable perspective... except that crushing UGA, winning the ACC, and winning a freaking NC put any coach above anyone else, no matter how the earlier or later seasons went. So Ross is easily and obviously our best coach since Dodd.

• Like Like x 6