Paul Johnson deserved better.

Damn - PJ went out with a mic drop. That last quote is savage.
Well given the constant negative attention PJ was given it’s no surprise. The media did more to shape the perception of the program than the offense did. If he were at a less popular college football area it probably would’ve been much better.

LOL yeah right Paul. The man never heard a question he didn't think was dumb. He constantly gave snarky answers to good questions. It was funny and we loved it when he was winning. It was tired and petty when he wasn't.

I'm a Paul Johnson fan but don't agree that he deserved better. 34-10 is exactly what he deserved because that's how his team played in this game.

I was driving through southern Illinois listening to the game and Ibrahim runs were more monotonous than the scenery.

So just how amazing is the coaching staff then considering we were 5-3 in conference this season?
Army went 11-2 and dropped 70 on a team that is vastly superior in talent than them. It just means the system matches the personnel (which is good coaching, admittedly). PJ used to make great half time adjustments. Now if they other team stops it in the first quarter then expect the same for the next three quarters. Face it, he lost it. The play book got simpler and simpler each year rather than more and more complex. In a nutshell, if he has a dynamic QB who runs the offense to perfection, it works. If you have TaQuon "I read QB keeper only" Marshall, then it's awful to watch. I remember all the PJ fans 11 years ago saying "just wait until he puts in the run and shoot elements!" Well, we're still waiting.

Edit: Running a great system with inferior talent is good coaching but "inferior talent" is bad recruiting. Recruiting is 50%+ of college football coaching.

CGC pushes spirit. Defense and special teams are mostly about effort and execution, and that is what he promises. Temple was developing a pretty good offense, and we will see what we do here. Our advantages will not be that we will try to catch an inexperienced coach unawares. It will be that we will outfight the other guys, and do so with comparable athletes.

We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how bout you??

Army went 11-2 and dropped 70 on a team that is vastly superior in talent than them. It just means the system matches the personnel (which is good coaching, admittedly). PJ used to make great half time adjustments. Now if they other team stops it in the first quarter then expect the same for the next three quarters. Face it, he lost it. The play book got simpler and simpler each year rather than more and more complex. In a nutshell, if he has a dynamic QB who runs the offense to perfection, it works. If you have TaQuon "I read QB keeper only" Marshall, then it's awful to watch. I remember all the PJ fans 11 years ago saying "just wait until he puts in the run and shoot elements!" Well, we're still waiting.

Edit: Running a great system with inferior talent is good coaching but "inferior talent" is bad recruiting. Recruiting is 50%+ of college football coaching.

I'll disagree on one point: simplicity. I think a big reason the off played better with TO is that the offense was simpler. Ol in particular.

I don't think he simplified enough for this years talent.

Dream on, this is the story of Ga Tech football, 4 great seasons in the last 57 years, isn't Johnson's fault, it is what Tech is and will continue to be forever, Tech will never be Alabama, nor Georgia, they are Vanderbilt, Duke and Kentucky. A great team every 10-15 years, average teams 80% of other years and 20% failure the rest, numbers don't lie.

Dream on, this is the story of Ga Tech football, 4 great seasons in the last 57 years, isn't Johnson's fault, it is what Tech is and will continue to be forever, Tech will never be Alabama, nor Georgia, they are Vanderbilt, Duke and Kentucky. A great team every 10-15 years, average teams 80% of other years and 20% failure the rest, numbers don't lie.

Go the back to the Hive.

I'll disagree on one point: simplicity. I think a big reason the off played better with TO is that the offense was simpler. Ol in particular.

I don't think he simplified enough for this years talent.

I think this is the key: it is worse to run complex and suck at it than to run simple. Could rephrase the earlier bit that we started sucking more and more at running complex.

No he wasn’t.
He was clearly better. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Regardless of whether he was better yesterday or not, Quan played bad enough early in the game to justify giving Oliver some snaps before the game was out of reach.

If you think Army and Jeff Monken are so damn great, you should go to their board and root for them. We didn't hire Monken, we went away from the option, and that's that. Get over it. You're like a child throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way.

Too many people are butthurt because I guess they think we all should have worn black for a month and mourned the end of Paul Johnson before having any excitement, so they are sadly choosing to poison the well for the new coach. It's a prime example of the miserable crap fanbase we have.

:lol2:

Only at Georgia Tech do you get called out for being part of a crap fanbase if you don't find a 3-9 season acceptable. I never wanted Monken because he is too old. I have been the guy calling out those in the fan base who wanted to hire old retreads like Art Briles. You guys arguing that our entire roster isn't even mediocre P5 talent are the real good fans right?? We need a young energetic coach like Collins, who can hopefully recruit, and who hopefully is an up and comer; but we don't need 3-9. If we lose a huge chunk of starters early in the season that may be what happens; but it should never be our expectation.

I'll say my part: I would have liked to see CPJ go out with one more win, but he seemed to have lost the passion of football over the last few months, maybe even years. He may coach again, or he may not. IF he does, probably at a smaller school. Still better than CCG IMHO. That being said, turn the page. Time for CGC

What I think Collins brings that a lot of the GT fans want desperately is conformity. Win or lose, Collins will do it in a manner that is more acceptable to the fan base.

with an offense everybody else runs, the prairie dog (everybody sticking their heads up to get the sideline signal), or the shotgun, hurry up, zone read and a playcaller on the sidelines holding one of those laminated cards like it was stolen from a Waffle House table?
If CGC doesn't get better athletes, we'll become Vandy or Wake in a hurry - happy to get to 6-6.
"CGC is going to get better recruits." No, we don't know that. The hope is he will. There are no guarantees.

Damn, I thought Dave Braine was dead. Guess not.

Damn, I thought Dave Braine was dead. Guess not.
I always was amazed at the continued belief that there was a light at the end of the football tunnel. Hang on to it if it makes you feel a superiority to, who does Tech have that superiority over? The AAC? Basketball and baseball is no better, when was it we were in the World Series? Final 4 was how many years ago? I hate UGA, but they own Tech, 20oz was right.

Back