Paul Johnson gets Extension

As was mentioned in the article, extended contracts are viewed as crucial to recruiting. This is standard practice. Bear in mind that we don't know the buyout numbers. It's also clear that TStan doesn't feel that CPJ got adequate support from the previous AD. Thus, the push to raise money, improve facilities, and hire assistants.
Okay well do that and in 2019 start talking about his contract. I get recruiting, but do you honestly think that a spread offensive minded coach would not be able to retain these kids?

So how much better will he recruit when all the other coaches are telling recruits that CPJs contract will end at the end of their sophmore season and that he likely won't be there much longer?

It's an extension. It's not like he parlayed a 5-6 record into a multiillion dollar raise.

Bigcries all around

No opposing coach recruits against the Jackets like that except for perhaps Georgia State.

As was mentioned in the article, extended contracts are viewed as crucial to recruiting. This is standard practice. Bear in mind that we don't know the buyout numbers. It's also clear that TStan doesn't feel that CPJ got adequate support from the previous AD. Thus, the push to raise money, improve facilities, and hire assistants.

This is all that really needs to be said about it.

Tough to comment on without knowing the details of the agreement. It’s possible these are added years in name only if they come with basically no buyout.

I think everyone knows where I stand on Paul Johnson’s continues tenure at the school, but this doesn’t really bother me unless it’s revealed that these are 100% guaranteed years.

CPJ has been a head coach for 20 years and he's never been fired. Regardless of whether you like his offense; like his personality; or are satisfied with the state of the program, he is deserving of a typical 5 year executive contract. If he gets fired next year, it will be expensive for Tech to pay him after he leaves, but that is the cost of hiring an established, experienced head coach.

Coaches don't usually make it to the end of their contracts unless they retire, so no one should get hung up on the number of years on the deal. If you don't like CPJ, the only thing that should matter to you is the buyout numbers. Also, it could be argued that getting an extension done after a subpar year could lead to more favorable terms for the school. Unless you really believed CPJ was about to get fired, I can't see how this news would be surprising or particularly upsetting.

CPJ has been a head coach for 20 years and he's never been fired. Regardless of whether you like his offense; like his personality; or are satisfied with the state of the program, he is deserving of a typical 5 year executive contract. If he gets fired next year, it will be expensive for Tech to pay him after he leaves, but that is the cost of hiring an established, experienced head coach.
No, this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately industry. What you say is correct when you're first hiring a coach, but irrelevant at this stage. CPJ ain't gonna make more money anywhere else at this point. So the extension is just a recruiting thing. Remember that CPJ's buyout decreased significantly this year. I believe it's just $1mil/year, which is to say a 66% reduction over his regular pay. We'll see what it is in the extended years, I guess, when that becomes public.

Last edited:
Back