Paul Johnson gets Extension

I think TStan wants to see what CPJ can do with the right support, he should have been given all this time. Better recruiting support will bring better players. We all have seen how potent the offense is with high caliber players like Dwyer etc. Now let's just imagine a defense with a offense this good! Johnson has been good for Tech and I don't think he has reached his peak at Tech yet.

Tough to comment on without knowing the details of the agreement.

Exactly. Maybe it increases assistant pay, maybe it eliminates a contract buy out, maybe it has a 7 year auto-renewing clause ... need to know the details before the negative comments.

Exactly. Maybe it increases assistant pay, maybe it eliminates a contract buy out, maybe it has a 7 year auto-renewing clause ... need to know the details before the negative comments.
Wanna put a bet on the 7-year auto-renewal possibility?

After these past three seasons, I'd be willing to bet that the new numbers 'hold serve.' The total compensation will increase marginally (say from $3.25 to $3.30/year) and the buyout will stay the same (so continuing at $1.00/remaining year).

I don't think CPJ's contract would contain provisions regarding assistant pay, but hopefully increasing that is part of his overall discussions with TStan.

I would be curious to know how much CNW is getting... I think Roof was in the $500k/year realm, wasn't he? I would expect Woody is getting the same or a little less.

After these past three seasons, I'd be willing to bet that the new numbers 'hold serve.' The total compensation will increase marginally (say from $3.25 to $3.30/year) and the buyout will stay the same (so continuing at $1.00/remaining year).

I don't think CPJ's contract would contain provisions regarding assistant pay, but hopefully increasing that is part of his overall discussions with TStan.

I would be curious to know how much CNW is getting... I think Roof was in the $500k/year realm, wasn't he? I would expect Woody is getting the same or a little less.
Roof made 800k

7 year auto-extension was a joke. Also, I haven't pulled his last contract, but I believe assistant pay is in the HC contract (a total sum which the HC divides among his staff). The reason is that a HC wouldn't want to come to a school that offered him insufficient salary to recruit a successful staff.

Roof made 800k
Yikes, I didn't realize it was that much. I'm putting CNW back in the $500k bucket. More interesting would be whether there's any buyout. Assistants haven't traditionally had that kind of market power, but these days maybe so.

Just a reminder, PJ didn't want a raise and only wanted more assistant pay in 2014. He/his agent only went for the raise after dipshit Bobinskquatch sat on his renewal.

7 year auto-extension was a joke. Also, I haven't pulled his last contract, but I believe assistant pay is in the HC contract (a total sum which the HC divides among his staff). The reason is that a HC wouldn't want to come to a school that offered him insufficient salary to recruit a successful staff.
I know it was! The point was... we should speculate away, because the range of possibilities is quite narrow.

CPJ's contract makes no reference to the assistants' pool. Just skimmed it. There's a bunch of things CPJ might want from GT — capital improvements, recruiting assurances, you name it — that aren't gonna make it into the contract. Maybe you're thinking of another school's deal with its coach? I recall a lot of talk about Dabo increasing his assistants' salaries after their first ACC champ, I think.

Yikes, I didn't realize it was that much. I'm putting CNW back in the $500k bucket. More interesting would be whether there's any buyout. Assistants haven't traditionally had that kind of market power, but these days maybe so.
I’d bet Woody has at least a 2 year deal

Also, it could be argued that getting an extension done after a subpar year could lead to more favorable terms for the school. Unless you really believed CPJ was about to get fired, I can't see how this news would be surprising or particularly upsetting.

If the AD believes in CPJ, this would be a great year to give him an extension. CPJs stock is pretty damn low right now.

This year sucked, but it could have been a lot better with a half way decent kicker.

Why wouldn't he? Short of murdering a player or quitting PJ will be coach through 2019.

A think multi year deals for assistants is a relatively new phenomenon. But yeah, I doubt he’d be willing to leave App St for a one year deal with someone who might be fired.

This is all that really needs to be said about it.

Yep, and the last damn thing you want to do right is get even close to the coaching carousel with uga having just played for a NC. Stansbury is stabilizing and emphasizing the FB program. I think the next few years will show if we are a 7 win or 10 win program.

GTAA won't get a dime of my money anymore until I see some drive for accountability from CPJ. No more witnessing turd burritos in person for me. You Polyanna's big cry me and go down and kneel at the AA and maybe he will smear some feces on your foreheads.

You go to work for GT. Where 10 years is considered a trial period.
And where you can retain a friend on the staff that teaches dirty football.

When CPJ does retire (obviously no need to worry about termination) we are going to have great coaches apply for the job.

Great pay.
No $ bonus to win biggest game of year.
Bonus to go to any numb nuts bowl.
Can be a smart azz to anyone including long time supporters who only want to see GT be best they can be.

careful - you're gonna get labeled a Miserable SOB!!!

Back