Paul Johnson will be GT's head coach in 2019

How does this make you feel?

• Total voters

Highriser987

Dodd-Like
It's weird I'm kinda thinking CPJ is getting the players hyped up to win these last few games and then he is gonna retire after the season, kinda like have the last laugh since a lot of fans were calling for him to be fired a few weeks back. He wants to leave on a winners note instead of a losers note. Just the way he is. I could be wrong though, but he doesnt seem like the kinda coach that will let a school fire him.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Y'all are talking about Duke as if they aren't a 7-3 team.
Doesn't matter. Only thing that matters is brand name, history, recruiting rankings, etc.

And we wonder why GT never gets any respect and the SEC always has 8 teams in the preseason Top 25. Because the sports journalists are just as dumb as sports fans, and judge things by brand name, history, recruiting rankings, etc., instead of actual on-field results.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
I've heard a few rumblings that "friends of friends who know somebody" claim he will retire after the season. I hope he stays one more, only because I want us to continue to run the option after he leaves (Monken). If he leaves after this year, I have a bad feeling we'll scrap it and do something boring.

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
I've heard a few rumblings that "friends of friends who know somebody" claim he will retire after the season. I hope he stays one more, only because I want us to continue to run the option after he leaves (Monken). If he leaves after this year, I have a bad feeling we'll scrap it and do something boring.
I don't think we'd have a hard time poaching him from army. At all. I assume we stashed him there anyway. I want to run the option forever

johncu

Dodd-Like
The discussion is whether we're relevant nationally or not, not whether we enjoy our successes when they do happen. Relevant is a subjective term, but we didn't go to a bowl game last year, haven't been ranked this year, and haven't upset a playoff contender this year either. At this point in time, we're NOT relevant nationally.
It's dumb to argue about this, because it's incredibly subjective.

My point is only that 2014 still matters in how we're perceived, both by our own fans and nationally. Had we not won the Orange Bowl, our "ceiling" would be viewed as dramatically lower, whereas now we've proven that we can beat pretty much anybody in the country when we catch lightning in a bottle. Even though we all have similar records over the last couple years, if you asked me who was more likely to win an Orange Bowl in the next 5 years out of GT, Duke, UVA, UNC, Syracuse, BC, and Pitt, we are the obvious answer.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I disagree. This is the wrong time for a major change, with Stansbury just getting into his 2020 initiative. I would have to think that TS wants CPJ to be around at least until then so that we are a more attractive job for a variety of reasons. Obviously we want to be successful on the field between now and then as well.

If CPJ retired at the end of the season (which I have no reason to believe that he will) I think Jeff Monken would be almost a shoo-in for the job. Since the time for a rebuild would be all wrong, it just makes sense to pick the guy that is the most natural transition (in addition to having a great resume' and GT experience). If it didn't work out for whatever reason, they could make a change in a few years after we have given the program a facelift. FWIW, Monken would be my #1 long-term choice anyway, so I wouldn't be mad about that.

MeatWrench

Holder of all Moon records
It's dumb to argue about this, because it's incredibly subjective.

My point is only that 2014 still matters in how we're perceived, both by our own fans and nationally. Had we not won the Orange Bowl, our "ceiling" would be viewed as dramatically lower, whereas now we've proven that we can beat pretty much anybody in the country when we catch lightning in a bottle. Even though we all have similar records over the last couple years, if you asked me who was more likely to win an Orange Bowl in the next 5 years out of GT, Duke, UVA, UNC, Syracuse, BC, and Pitt, we are the obvious answer.
Lightning in a bottle against a team with no DC.

*ducks*

That said, I totally agree about most likely to win an OB.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I assume that CPJ being under contract means that he would have to pay GT a buyout if he retires before its end date. Maybe there is a clause which allows him to terminate it without penalty if he retires and doesn't take another job. Barring a health issue, though, CPJ seems like a guy who would fulfill the terms that he signed.

Is the team without a DC us or Miss St?

*ducks*

Really no reason to search for reasons why teams lose to us. It's OK for us to be OK.
Sometimes I think we have the most self-loathing fans in CFB. We’re never better than the teams we beat. Something always has to be wrong with them. USCw didn’t want to be at the Sun Bowl. Miss St. didn’t have a DC even though Dan Mullen is a defensive genius. Whenever we beat UGA it’s because it’s the worst team they’ve had in years. It’s never because our guys wanted it more or were the better team.

/rant

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Sometimes I think we have the most self-loathing fans in CFB. We’re never better than the teams we beat. Something always has to be wrong with them. USCw didn’t want to be at the Sun Bowl. Miss St. didn’t have a DC even though Dan Mullen is a defensive genius. Whenever we beat UGA it’s because it’s the worst team they’ve had in years. It’s never because our guys wanted it more or were the better team.

/rant
If Dan Mullen is a defensive genius, why hasn't he ever coached the defense?

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
If remembering the biggest and best event in GT football of the past 28 years is "cherry picking" a stat, give me more cherries.

Why people don't want to relish the things we have to relish is beyond me.

Cherry relish?
There's relishing and there's obsession. 2014 was nice but clearly a flash in the pan and also almost 5 years ago. To continue worshiping it is kinda like the guy in his 20s who keeps talking about how great his HS years were.

18in32

Petard Hoister
There's relishing and there's obsession. 2014 was nice but clearly a flash in the pan and also almost 5 years ago. To continue worshiping it is kinda like the guy in his 20s who keeps talking about how great his HS years were.
Hey, man, what's up? How's your Wednesday going?