Paul Johnson....

Status
Not open for further replies.
He unaddressed special teams when he fired Groh and they have been noticably worse since that time. There has to be some connection between CPJ's philosophy and weak defense because he's going on his third DC. There could be merit to some of the theories such as practicing against the TO, a lack of emphasis, or the assistants aren't up to snuff.
ST was crap before Groh fired and is crap since Groh got fired. It's a wash, but I agree it was a shame that we hired a coach for ST and took him off ST within a few games.

ST was crap before Groh fired and is crap since Groh got fired. It's a wash, but I agree it was a shame that we hired a coach for ST and took him off ST within a few games.

ST wasn't bad early in the season. We weren't giving up the long runbacks that we did against BYU and UGA. The kicking game is another matter. We haven't put emphasis into recruiting (even non-scholarship) kickers and punters until this year. ST coaches can't fix a complete lack of ability to kick the ball into the endzone.

I just think that the mid-season firing, although popular, was a bad idea on many levels. I also think we beat Utah and VT if Young wasn't an idiot selling his complimentary tickets.

Disagree. We had breakdowns in ST before the firing but they were markedly worse in all phases afterward.

I'm not sure special teams has been a wash. We hadn't had a ko return TD in forever. We got two this year. More than that from 2008 to 2012, we went from 96th, 63rd, 97th, 108th, to 29th. We saw similar improvement in punt returns. Of course opponent ko return and punt returns has still been terrible. So, who knows.

ST wasn't bad early in the season. We weren't giving up the long runbacks that we did against BYU and UGA. The kicking game is another matter. We haven't put emphasis into recruiting (even non-scholarship) kickers and punters until this year. ST coaches can't fix a complete lack of ability to kick the ball into the endzone.
Stats don't agree with your memory.

The average kickoff return is about the same before and after. Look at the stats:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/255/kickreturn/defense/gamelog.html

We had a lot more touchbacks before the firing and kicks were about the same long:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/255/kickoff/offense/gamelog.html

Stats don't agree with your memory.

The average kickoff return is about the same before and after. Look at the stats:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/255/kickreturn/defense/gamelog.html

We had a lot more touchbacks before the firing and kicks were about the same long:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/255/kickoff/offense/gamelog.html

If you look at the touchback percentage, you'll see an entirely different story. A 25 yard return from inside the endzone isn't the same as a 25 yard return from the 10 yard line. It could be a function of the kicker though.

The kicker(s) who hit it deeper on the kickoffs early in the year got hurt. We've been playing a third stringer for weeks.

And GT doesn't have a good degree with nice weather in a city that has more hot chicks than hot men?

Let's parse my sentence.

No, they're going because it's a good degree, that's easy, and there's nice weather, and there's chicks, and they have degrees they'd like to take. We're missing most of the criteria there.

We have a good degree, that's not easy, with heat and smog, one of the worst hot chick quotients in the country, and very few football players want to take business classes.

We need:
1) a technical communications / ejournalism major..
2) ..that's easy..
3) ..and to sneak VIP passes to Magic City to recruits on their official visit.

That still won't put us up against Stanford, but it'll get us a lot closer.

Let's parse my sentence.

We have a good degree, that's not easy, with heat and smog, one of the worst hot chick quotients in the country, and very few football players want to take business classes.

We need:
1) a technical communications / ejournalism major..
2) ..that's easy..

That still won't put us up against Stanford, but it'll get us a lot closer.

Totally agree with your premises, but I would add to #1. Why can't we add some type of STEM education major? I just graduated from Clemson in 2011 with a Chemistry Education degree. Definitely not a cakewalk program since it requires taking a lot of upper-level science courses, but it's certainly easier than an engineering degree.

Not only is that a type of degree that should be emphasized, it's something that GT should be good at doing. Teachers that have been exposed to the rigors of a Georgia Tech education should make great high school teachers. Not only that, it's something that I think a lot of athletes would really be interested in doing. It provides them a direct career path that will also allow them to coach sports at a high school.

We're trying to recruit football players; not get them shot in the parking lot. Cheetah might be a safer bet :cool:

Sports management major or at least minor would be an easy fit.

How about something within the College of Management that has an emphasis in sports management? Would TPTB smile approvingly upon that?

How about something within the College of Management that has an emphasis in sports management? Would TPTB smile approvingly upon that?

Agree with this. Also, no reason we can't have a College of Education or Communications.

We're trying to recruit football players; not get them shot in the parking lot. Cheetah might be a safer bet :cool:

Funny, sir, but I was being serious. Ryan Stewart has even mentioned his recruiting trip to Magic City on the air once.. :)

I will ask to the right person this time.

John, how would you sell GT football to a recruit considering UGA, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, and GT?

Thank you for your candor.

YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHY I HAVE BEEN SAYING WE NEED TO GO NATIONAL ON RECRUITING. HELL STANFORD GOT ONE FROM WALTON HS AND CENTENNIAL HS JUST TO NAME A FEW.

Unless we don't want our coaches away from their families then send their asses out on the road like every other f*cking school does and make them earn their paychecks.

you can curse all you want, that's what dwags do, but where were you rejoicing with our wins?!! Where was the post that said something like, "i may not think our ol coach is very good but our ol had a good game against md which has played some decent d this year." where was the post like, "i may not like cpj, but he got our guys to shake off the bad start and beat the teams we were expected to beat in md, unc, and duke." maybe you could have posted something like, "well, i still hope we go in a new direction as far as coaching is concerned, but i'm glad our bowl streak was kept alive and our kids get to play in the postseason." hell, it's hate week, maybe you could've come on once during hate week, put aside your hate for gt's coach, and posted, "to hell with georgia!" you didn't do any of that. Why? Because you're a crap fan, imo.

Face it. You let your feelings about our coach keep you from celebrating our wins. Well, the truth may hurt, but you need to face the facts. You are who your posting history says you are. Cursing me isn't going to change that fact.

wow

YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHY I HAVE BEEN SAYING WE NEED TO GO NATIONAL ON RECRUITING. HELL STANFORD GOT ONE FROM WALTON HS AND CENTENNIAL HS JUST TO NAME A FEW.

Unless we don't want our coaches away from their families then send their asses out on the road like every other f*cking school does and make them earn their paychecks.

Shouldn't this happen as a natural consequence of weak local recruiting? Shouldn't a coach realize this in his first year. If it hasn't happened by the 5th year, then what is the point? I can't believe CPJ doesn't realize this. However, it is not happening with any success, which can only mean ...

I just think that the mid-season firing, although popular, was a bad idea on many levels. I also think we beat Utah and VT if Young wasn't an idiot selling his complimentary tickets.

We cannot afford to put 1* athletes on special teams, we have never been able to. WE DON'T HAVE THE F*CKING DEPTH TO DO IT. Until you put your 11 studs on ST's we will suck. Jameal spelling I have no idea Thomas made a great play on KO yesterday.

FCS players will not get it done at GT.

You ask why it hurts? I will tell you why it hurts. When you play against those M*ther Fu$kers you get a taste in your mouth like I did as a freshman when we lost on a last play interception listening to all their shat, having to listen to everyone in Ellijay talk shat. You know what? I took it and promised myself I would do what ever I had to do on my part to not let it happen again.

1984 guess what Those MF'ers didn't see us coming and there is a reason in 1985 they came out with the sticker "Silence is Golden" I put as many as I could by on nadlickers cars. Not a one of them said a God ---- thing to me for two years and today they know better than to talk shat to me because when we sucked we went 2-2 against them. You know why? We had f*cking heart, we cared about what product we put on the field, we cared about our alumni and lettermen friends and we cared about our fans.

I don't know how old you are but it seems like since 1990 we have two sets of fans. one set who wants to win the ACCC game and one who wants to beat the hell out of georgia. And to me that is sad.

It also amazes me that we can't find 25 athletes across the United States that want a great education and play football as well. I know we are there. I blame recruiting and not spending the time to get our coaches out there. I blame networking in other states to help spot other talent.

I don't have a problem if we take a 2* talent, my problem is we don't have the coaches that can coach up the players. Everybody keeps saying it's not our offense and I say WTF. Every God ---- time we play a top program we score on average less that 17, to me that is a problem but everyone seems to want to brag that we avg. 6 ypp or we average 40 pts per game. we are f*cking 6-6 and backed our way in to the ACCC game and some people I talk to are happy with that.

There was another post I saw about former players not liking pj, HE and The former AD abandoned the former letterwinners. Every athlete that I talk to across the country who play football says whoever the coach is they welcome letterwinners in at all time, they said they want their players hearing from past players about history, rivalries and such. That doesn't happen here.

Maybe that will change with the new AD, who knows. Sorry for rambling but I'm pretty disgusted that I have to face nadlickers for another 365 days.

rnd-rudy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back