Paul Johnson....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindsight is 20/20. He addressed those issues just hasn't worked out as we expected

He unaddressed special teams when he fired Groh and they have been noticably worse since that time. There has to be some connection between CPJ's philosophy and weak defense because he's going on his third DC. There could be merit to some of the theories such as practicing against the TO, a lack of emphasis, or the assistants aren't up to snuff.

I hope that this isn't directed at me? But I will put my two cents in the pot. Ken Whisenhunt for one. Hell I would take George Godsey right now and start over.

It's funny how everyone keeps blaming the defense but when we play top caliber teams they shut our offense down. Explain that?

Even BYU. We couldn't block BYU. They looked faster on defense than UGA.

I'd love Whisenhunt too. He's busy trying to coach a poorly-built team into the NFL playoffs. He may have a harder problem than CPJ.

Our defense has not played physical since 2009. The defense has declined every year since CPJ came on board. The players are not being coached up at all.

Our recruiters on staff are not good, yes, but how could you expect highly touted players to choose GT over any SEC team in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida or Alabama? In addition, why would an athlete with NFL hopes want to subject himself to the rigors of GT academics when he could glide through at any SEC school? Why would any 4 or 5 star come to the ACC to a team running an unique offense not geared for NFL play or a defense that has been steadily getting worse each year? Blame all you want on CPJ and company, but the problem with GT football goes way beyond coaching and players.....it's ACC and tough academics......

Vandy (and James Franklin) are doing it. They're recruiting well, and have a team "attitude". And they've had the same "hill situation" that we say we have here.

We can't block well on offense either. It's not just a defense problem.

Why does it hurt?!? It has been the same result for a decade+. Should be immune to it now. That is why it is not the team #1 goal. Just pointless

You ask why it hurts? I will tell you why it hurts. When you play against those M*ther Fu$kers you get a taste in your mouth like I did as a freshman when we lost on a last play interception listening to all their shat, having to listen to everyone in Ellijay talk shat. You know what? I took it and promised myself I would do what ever I had to do on my part to not let it happen again.

1984 guess what Those MF'ers didn't see us coming and there is a reason in 1985 they came out with the sticker "Silence is Golden" I put as many as I could by on nadlickers cars. Not a one of them said a God ---- thing to me for two years and today they know better than to talk shat to me because when we sucked we went 2-2 against them. You know why? We had f*cking heart, we cared about what product we put on the field, we cared about our alumni and lettermen friends and we cared about our fans.

I don't know how old you are but it seems like since 1990 we have two sets of fans. one set who wants to win the ACCC game and one who wants to beat the hell out of georgia. And to me that is sad.

It also amazes me that we can't find 25 athletes across the United States that want a great education and play football as well. I know we are there. I blame recruiting and not spending the time to get our coaches out there. I blame networking in other states to help spot other talent.

I don't have a problem if we take a 2* talent, my problem is we don't have the coaches that can coach up the players. Everybody keeps saying it's not our offense and I say WTF. Every God ---- time we play a top program we score on average less that 17, to me that is a problem but everyone seems to want to brag that we avg. 6 ypp or we average 40 pts per game. we are f*cking 6-6 and backed our way in to the ACCC game and some people I talk to are happy with that.

There was another post I saw about former players not liking pj, HE and The former AD abandoned the former letterwinners. Every athlete that I talk to across the country who play football says whoever the coach is they welcome letterwinners in at all time, they said they want their players hearing from past players about history, rivalries and such. That doesn't happen here.

Maybe that will change with the new AD, who knows. Sorry for rambling but I'm pretty disgusted that I have to face nadlickers for another 365 days.

The head coach needs to be fired, not the OC. His handling of Defense and Special Teams has been horrible. And yes, recruits parents see him being pissy in news conferences. There are teams out there with much less talent that are performing much better. Your point is arbitrary and ignores what can be done. Do you not think that we have better talent than Duke, Georgia Southern, UL-Monroe, MTSU, etc. The talent isn't be coached up.

+1 We do not have any coaches that can coach a 2* kid up and until we find one this is what we will get.

Well said sir. I can't stand CPJ's nonchalant attitude. Wish we had a coach with more fire in him to motivate the players. I do think this offense can work with some tweaks to open it up.

This is true. We admitted kids during nate's years we would not be able to today. This is the first difference people need to understand

Thank clough.

Well if we can't change it back, its time to give up. I'm done investing money in this mess. Hell, I could just go and buy some more HP stock!

There was another post I saw about former players not liking pj, HE and The former AD abandoned the former letterwinners. Every athlete that I talk to across the country who play football says whoever the coach is they welcome letterwinners in at all time, they said they want their players hearing from past players about history, rivalries and such. That doesn't happen here.

Maybe that will change with the new AD, who knows. Sorry for rambling but I'm pretty disgusted that I have to face nadlickers for another 365 days.

Your perspective is very much appreciated. I consider myself a "new age" fan but losing to these clowns still hurts. I have to go back to an office on Monday full of dwags and I'm not sure how I'll make it through the day without slugging somebody.

The section above is particularly disturbing. I read elsewhere how CPJ probably has a problem with van Gorder since he went to GSU and basically did away with all the traditions there. Well, if he doesn't embrace our former athletes then he's essentially doing the same thing, right?

Anyways, it's disappointing to see the team not play with that extra umph not only against UGA but really any time they face adversity.

Well if we can't change it back, its time to give up. I'm done investing money in this mess. Hell, I could just go and buy some more HP stock!

I stopped this past year. Like i detailed in my other posts, there is a litany of reasons.

It also amazes me that we can't find 25 athletes across the United States that want a great education and play football as well. I know we are there. I blame recruiting and not spending the time to get our coaches out there. I blame networking in other states to help spot other talent.

I will ask to the right person this time.

John, how would you sell GT football to a recruit considering UGA, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, and GT?

Thank you for your candor.

+1 We do not have any coaches that can coach a 2* kid up and until we find one this is what we will get.

+1. Even with the talent we have there is no way we shouldn't be better than we are on Defense. Some one argued last week that Georgie couldn't score on us at will. What say ye now?

Our D does not have good fundamentals at any position. The line stands straight up. The LBs don't break down to make tackles and wiff more times than they make contact. The D backs really don't know who they are supposed to be covering half the time. This is coaching folks.

John, how would you sell GT football to a recruit considering UGA, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, and GT?

I'm not JD, but we used to schedule Stanford and Vandy as patsies. They're not patsies any more. They're selling their school.
No one is going to Vandy or Stanford because they think it's a cakewalk. They think it's a good degree, and they want to play football there.
Also, who cares what other schools they're considering? Stanford will fight UGA for a kid, but they're not recruiting a kid because Miami is. They might recruit against UGA or UNC, but I don't think they're taking a kid going to Miami--they're below Stanford's academic standards.

You ask why it hurts? I will tell you why it hurts. When you play against those M*ther Fu$kers you get a taste in your mouth like I did as a freshman when we lost on a last play interception listening to all their shat, having to listen to everyone in Ellijay talk shat. You know what? I took it and promised myself I would do what ever I had to do on my part to not let it happen again.

1984 guess what Those MF'ers didn't see us coming and there is a reason in 1985 they came out with the sticker "Silence is Golden" I put as many as I could by on nadlickers cars. Not a one of them said a God ---- thing to me for two years and today they know better than to talk shat to me because when we sucked we went 2-2 against them. You know why? We had f*cking heart, we cared about what product we put on the field, we cared about our alumni and lettermen friends and we cared about our fans.

I don't know how old you are but it seems like since 1990 we have two sets of fans. one set who wants to win the ACCC game and one who wants to beat the hell out of georgia. And to me that is sad.

I don't have a problem if we take a 2* talent, my problem is we don't have the coaches that can coach up the players. Everybody keeps saying it's not our offense and I say WTF. Every God ---- time we play a top program we score on average less that 17, to me that is a problem but everyone seems to want to brag that we avg. 6 ypp or we average 40 pts per game. we are f*cking 6-6 and backed our way in to the ACCC game and some people I talk to are happy with that.

Well, i wouldnt have said it like you did but i do agree. We are their ---- whipping boy.

John Davis is RIGHT. I've said it for years you gota go where the players are, I don't care if it's Tim Buck Too or how ever they spell it. There must be 25 players a year who have the grades, have the ability and could do the work at Tech and make a difference on the field. PJ has to get off his arse and do the work to getem.

No one is going to Vandy or Stanford because they think it's a cakewalk. They think it's a good degree, and they want to play football there.
No, they're going because it's a good degree, that's easy, and there's nice weather, and there's chicks, and they have degrees they'd like to take. We're missing most of the criteria there.

John Davis is RIGHT. I've said it for years you gota go where the players are, I don't care if it's Tim Buck Too or how ever they spell it. There must be 25 players a year who have the grades, have the ability and could do the work at Tech and make a difference on the field. PJ has to get off his arse and do the work to getem.

Right on. There are plenty of excellent players in the nation with the smarts to do well at Tech.

It's like with the pros. The teams that do well year-in and year-out are the ones with top organizations getting the best personnel to run the show and to play.

Right on. There are plenty of excellent players in the nation with the smarts to do well at Tech.

It's like with the pros. The teams that do well year-in and year-out are the ones with top organizations getting the best personnel to run the show and to play.
True, but the margin for error in recruiting these players is extremely small. There are only so many of these guys to go around, and when players like Jordan Jenkins are being convinced that Auburn is the best place to go for an engineering degree, we really don't have much of a chance.

IMO the B1G might be the best place for us. Down here the SEC bias is suffocating, but if we join a different conference we can expand our northern and midwestern recruiting bases. To really be successful we will have to recruit nationally, so I think joining another conference and getting out from under the SEC curtain would be a good thing for us.

No, they're going because it's a good degree, that's easy, and there's nice weather, and there's chicks, and they have degrees they'd like to take. We're missing most of the criteria there.

And GT doesn't have a good degree with nice weather in a city that has more hot chicks than hot men? A business degree makes a lot more sense than Parks and Rec, you just have to convince a kid and his parents that's the case. I just think our recruiters suck as John said.

True, but the margin for error in recruiting these players is extremely small. There are only so many of these guys to go around, and when players like Jordan Jenkins are being convinced that Auburn is the best place to go for an engineering degree, we really don't have much of a chance.

IMO the B1G might be the best place for us. Down here the SEC bias is suffocating, but if we join a different conference we can expand our northern and midwestern recruiting bases. To really be successful we will have to recruit nationally, so I think joining another conference and getting out from under the SEC curtain would be a good thing for us.

I'm with you on the B1G. Some of the best players in Minnesota like Seantrel Henderson (USC, Miami) and Larry Fitzgerald (Pitt) get the hell out. There's a lot of talent outside Georgia that would love to come to Atlanta, but we don't make an effort. We're busy combing Thomasville for another 180 pound A-back or Wetumka Alabama for quarterbacks. The midwest is just as football crazy as the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back