per AJC: significant announcement for GT football

Discussion in 'Football' started by jkernea, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ThisIsAtlanta

ThisIsAtlanta Actually Nicolas Cage Staff Member

Loc:
    Acworth
    Team:
    GT
    This is the way I see it as well, with the exception that it appears we may have vetted this with the NCAA indirectly and gotten a green-light to play them. If that turns out to be the case, we have a case.

2. wesleyd21

wesleyd21 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    GT
    What pisses me off:

AJ Green sells a jersey for $1,000 and gets suspended 4 games.

Demarius Thomas wears a pair of $45 tennis shoes and the entire program gets put on probation for 4 years.

Like CPJ said. "Life isn't always fair."

3. alpha

alpha Dodd-Like

Loc:
    NC
    Team:
    wtf. srsly?
    Yes, Cam was declared ineligible then reinstated on the same day which was a couple of days before a game. So with everything behind us, they technically did the right thing (which is to say... did everything NCAA told them or expected them to do).

However, since the Auburn issue happened a full year after our investigation, did NCAA's bylaws or instructions clearly state that GT should hold the players out until the NCAA has cleared them? Maybe Auburn asked the right questions last year and we didn't the year before.

Lastly, the biggest difference between the Auburn investigation and our investigation was that, the NCAA got pissed that DRad told CPJ and CPJ asked Morgan Burnett about the cell phone allegation. NCAA stated that by us doing this, it "appeared" to have been done to coach our players on what to say when the NCAA AGA interviewed the player. Is this even a bylaw? Considering how high-profile the Auburn case was, are they saying that Gene Chizik never had a meeting with Cam Newton before NCAA came on their campus for interviews? I highly doubt it.

4. HelluvaMGTmjr

HelluvaMGTmjr Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Smyrna, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't know...seems to me the AJ Green punishment was much worse. Probation doesn't mean squat and has no bearing on the season. Your #1 bad ass WR getting suspended for 1/3 of the season is very bad for business.

5. yellowphysics

yellowphysics Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    atl
    Team:
    GT!!
    The NCAA had little financial interest in keeping bebe or Morgan eligible. I'm guessing they would not have been reinstated so quickly as Cam.

6. beej67

beej67 new around here

Loc:
    the smouldering hellscape of east cobb
    Team:
    GT
    We were made aware of the allegations the TUESDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING, WITH THE GEORGIA GAME COMING UP, and had to make our decision then. Even so, it was an easy decision that the ACC vetted.

Auburn knew they'd have time to get the appeal done / etc. Someone clearly set us up, in my opinion.

7. alpha

alpha Dodd-Like

Loc:
    NC
    Team:
    wtf. srsly?
    Exactly. I'm just using Cam as an example considering NCAA had no proof, only allegations.

If I use OSU's case as an example, it's even more mind blowing. There was proof that players received free tattoos yet they still declared them "eligible" (what the hell does this mean now anyway?) and let them play in the Sugar Bowl and allowed OSU to suspend them five games in 2011. Yet, Terrell Pryor is no longer with the team. So, we could have said, let them DT and MB play and they can be punished the following year. Again, of course, none of these things are in the NCAA bylaws and they are pulling random öööö out of their ass.

8. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology

And the key difference is that UGA sat AJ out, and we didn't sit our guys out. Had the UGA thing surfaced in November like ours did, AJ would not have played against us, or in their bowl game, assuming the self-imposed penalty would've been the same.

9. coit

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

This is something I must've overlooked. Did GT indeed get the ACC office involved? That could help our case.

10. alpha

alpha Dodd-Like

Loc:
    NC
    Team:
    wtf. srsly?
  11. jacket1515

jacket1515 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    jacket1515's summary of this issue for dummies:

1) Somebody gave DT $312 worth of clothes. There is no clear evidence of who gave him the clothes, but it could have been his cousin. He gave all but $45 worth of the clothes back (side note; the DeDe situation provided a greater $ value of benefits to TJB and is considered a minor violation). There is no proof that MB received any clothes.
    2) Under advice of the ACC & legal counsel, Tech did not rule DT or MB ineligible. The likelihood is that even if they had they would have (eventually) been reinstated. Even though they would not have been ineligible the NCAA is taking away our ACCC because they were ineligibly eligible. Or something.
    3) MB supposedly got given a cell phone by Calvin Booker. Even though it was proven that MB's cell phone was bought by his mom (i.e. he was not ineligible), the NCAA thinks we should have ruled him ineligible.
    4) MB was told (along with CPJ) about the situation and upcoming interview even though the NCAA told us that only the DoA and ADoA could know about it. CPJ and DR told him to tell the truth to NCAA investigators. Because of this, we get 4 years probation.
    5) Some basketball stuff

12. ramblinzach

ramblinzach Flats Noob

Loc:
    ATL, Ga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but the timing is ridiculous and the amount of money that attracted this is also ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

Just wanted to say it again.

ridiculous

13. Highriser987

Highriser987 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Cave in Santa Cruz, CA
    Team:
    JACKETS/GATORS!!
    I second that emotion.

14. coit

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

So, it sounds like we made the decision without informing the NCAA? Sounds like we should've (if we didn't) written the NCAA, told them that we dispute their claim of ineligibility, and asked them to defer their decision until their investigation could be fully completed.

But maybe we did all of that?

15. alpha

alpha Dodd-Like

Loc:
    NC
    Team:
    wtf. srsly?
    That is basically the mistake both Bud and DRad admitted that they made in hindsight.

If the above quote was written like this, they wouldn't have been able to take our ACC Championship away:

Not sure what made them think just getting an interpretation from the ACC was enough to declare the players as eligible to play. I guess they were expecting that NCAA would eventually agree with the ruling given that they didn't have any evidence.

16. beej67

beej67 new around here

Loc:
    the smouldering hellscape of east cobb
    Team:
    GT
    Sure did, and they approved our case for eligibility.

17. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Milky Way
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think that we did and would hope that it would help our case. I do believe that we should appeal and make a stink out of this, would love to see some of this crap reduced or overturned.

18. ElCidBUZZingFAN

ElCidBUZZingFAN Dodd-Like

Loc:
    My house
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Does a conference ever go to bat for one of its teams in cases such as this? Basically, I wonder how involved the ACC will be in our appeal.

19. ramblinzach

ramblinzach Flats Noob

Loc:
    ATL, Ga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You think Swofford has the spine to stand up for something that isn't in Carolina?

20. Stick

Stick Flats Noob

ftfy