Pero's Pizza, Junior's Grill, Engineer's Bookstore, the old C&S building....

Buzzilla

I'm all out of bubblegum
The thread on recalling your first Tech game got me thinking about those early games I went to and there were some great spots on and around campus that are now long gone.

Pero's was a great little pizza spot on North Ave. and on game day it was a great place to hang out before the game. Very lively and active filled with fans getting ready for the game. I have some very clear, great memories of that place.

Would love to see any old photos of any of the old landmarks, buildings or anything of interest on or near campus through the years that are now gone.

Please share here any old photos of any time period that you might have.

Can be anything around campus, on campus or even just the greater midtown areas that is interesting. I would love to see them and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Is “Girls R Fun” still open? That sign was a masterpiece of advertising that every business school should study. Just a little roll out sign on Northside. Literally every person in Atlanta knew exactly where it was.

Was so great in the early 80's to be able to do the short walk from my dorm in Hanson, through the 3rd Street tunnel, to the pre-eminent punk/new wave music club in the entire southeast, 688.

And even more importantly the 3rd Street Tunnel Pub to get your cheap beer on.

Is “Girls R Fun” still open? That sign was a masterpiece of advertising that every business school should study. Just a little roll out sign on Northside. Literally every person in Atlanta knew exactly where it was.

You mean "Girls R Fun ATM"? It looks like it's been replaced with some lesser establishment. The world's downward spiral continues.

I lived in the apartments behind there in the days before GPS. Their sign made an effective landmark!

Tech Motel. Me and my dad stayed here and were almost robbed.

tech_motel_front.jpeg

I briefly delivered pizza for Pizza K (another landmark and good story, the owner was hilarious) and I made a delivery to that place once. I'll just say that the ladies were happy to see me (giggity).
:giggity:

Nah... they were just hungry.

How many on here remember the "Armpit", the old Techwood Theater, across North Ave from Smith dorm and in the same strip of businesses with Juniors and the original Engineer's Book Store. Despite the nickname, it was a decent place to see 2nd run movies, and I saw many great movies there in the early 60s. It was opened in 1939 and demolished in 1970.
1700499802170.png

Back