Photo of Overturned Forward Pass

Pretty much.

They definitely made the wrong call on the field (should assume a lateral on close option plays), then compounded it by making a questionable decision to overturn. But I'll take it.

The worst part of this is that the referee (white hat) made the call from behind the play. There was no way he had any perception of depth from where he was but blew his whistle and ran in on a mission as soon as the ball hit the ground. There was no way from where he was standing that he could make the call.

07ejkVU.gif

How is this even being debated? Watch the video. The ball was released at the 27 yard line and touched at the 27 yard line.

They should be more concerned with the fact that after that play, they allowed a 70 yard drive from an offense that spent the 2nd half trying to suck it's own dick.

Do you have any idea how many pitches to the A-Backs are ruled passes? More than you might think.

For us, not many. And being ruled after the fact in the score sheet and in real-time on the field are different things.

If it happened often, we'd get a lot more flags for ineligible man downfield than we do.

A five page thread titled "Photo of Overturned Forward Pass" where there is in fact no photo or video of overturned forward pass. Neat.

Do you have any idea how many pitches to the A-Backs are ruled passes? More than you might think.

If I had to guess I'd say it was all of the ones that went forward, of which this is not one.

One thing I'm wondering is when exactly it goes from being a lateral to a forward pass. If the ball travels one inch forward, such that it doesn't even go forward by the length of the ball, is that a forward pass?

One thing I'm wondering is when exactly it goes from being a lateral to a forward pass. If the ball travels one inch forward, such that it doesn't even go forward by the length of the ball, is that a forward pass?

You were a STAC major, weren't you?

"A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass."

hmm

Do you have any idea about how bitter and butthurt you sound? More than you might think.

:lol: at you reprimanding someone else on how butthurt they sound. You always sound butthurt at any contrarian opinion.

You were a STAC major, weren't you?

It's a legitimate question. Suppose the ball is released with tip pointed toward the sky, travels exactly parallel to the goal line, and spins so the tip is ultimately pointed toward the goal. The tip of the ball is then several millimeters further toward the goal than where it originally began. Is it a forward pass?

Players A and B are running down the field at 12 mph, aka 17.6 fps. Player B is 10 feet away from A in the Y-direction and 6 feet behind him in the X-direction. These distances are constant.

A pitches the ball to B at 30 fps. The ball covers the 11.7 feet in 0.4 seconds. In that time, the players have moved forward in the x-direction by roughly 7 feet meaning player B is now 1 foot farther down the field than A was when he pitched it.

Was it really a backwards lateral?

"A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass."

hmm

That might explain the ref with no angle defaulting to a forward pass.

The replay clearly showed that it was even, and thats what they announced.

The booth would have known that the ref was using B and defaulting to a forward pass. They would not be overturning a call, but a default based on not knowing.

So you're saying that there is no "inconclusive" evidence then? That's what the rule calls for. Makes no difference now, but BAD CALL to reverse the on field ruling in that instance.

I was surprised it was over ruled. I was more surprised it was called a forward pass in the first place. Refs usually defer to calling a lateral unless the ball is obviously going forward.

Back