Photo of Overturned Forward Pass

if you really wanna be technical

actually_it_was_tugmm8.png

Pretty much.

They definitely made the wrong call on the field (should assume a lateral on close option plays), then compounded it by making a questionable decision to overturn. But I'll take it.

Officials don't make an assumption here, but generally, yes, you would assume that a pitch is backwards unless you see something to the contrary becaue you are in the backfield. so, the on the field ref go that wrong too, and made it even worse because yo umake that assumption when you can't tell and it is close.

This is all made less of an issue because the ref wasn't watching the right thing here and wasn't in the right place. Look at the video and look how his head swivels back a fraction too late. He misread his key and didn't get the right angle either. Apparently, he was watching Golden be held, decided not to flag that, and then realized he did not see where the QB let go of the ball and made a call.

if you really wanna be technical

Thanks. Any official paying attention would have made that call.

The fact is the on-field completely blew his assignment and misread the key and started heading up field before he should have.

ball was helicoptering...you have to watch it frame by frame and you can see the center of the ball was about the same the whole time. it was the right call but if there is question it was the wrong call since any pass has to be considered fwd if there is question.

Not in the backfield. You go with backwards in this scenario as the baseline.

hOkBDnQ.png

I crudely superimposed two of the screenshots by lining up the markers on the sideline (do those have a name? are they also hash marks?) It looks forward to me. The red line is not mine, but you can see the ball starts behind the red line and ends up even with it.

Who gives a öööö? It was obviously an attempted pitch not a forward pass. So what if it minutely inched forward a bit.

hOkBDnQ.png

I crudely superimposed two of the screenshots by lining up the markers on the sideline (do those have a name? are they also hash marks?) It looks forward to me. The red line is not mine, but you can see the ball starts behind the red line and ends up even with it.

wow. This has me completely convinced. You superimposed two photos and concluded that your position is correct. Fascinating.

I'm sure glad the refs blew that call...but I feel bad for GA Southern fans they deserved that win.

wow. This has me completely convinced. You superimposed two photos and concluded that your position is correct. Fascinating.

I'm sure glad the refs blew that call...but I feel bad for GA Southern fans they deserved that win.

The refs blew the call, but correctly overturned that call.

Red line doesn't seem perfectly straight(touches front and back of the check marks at closer and farther ends respectively) and the ball seems to be about even as far as yard position considering the ball itself is about a foot long and can turn while in flight. So no clear forward movement.

Therefore lateral for me...

Red line doesn't seem perfectly straight(touches front and back of the check marks at closer and farther ends respectively) and the ball seems to be about even as far as yard position considering the ball itself is about a foot long and can turn while in flight. So no clear forward movement.

Therefore lateral for me...

Ignore the red line. The ball starts behind the hash marks and ends up on top of them.

I think y'all aren't being objective here. It is OK, we won the game, no one is going to overturn our victory.

says the master of grumbling. you are a tard, go drink rum and stfu

Why don't you take a poll on which one of us sounds like a tard. Put it up for public opinion. I'm willing to take the Pepsi Challenge.

The refs explained it. They said it started at the 27 and ended up at the 27 in the air... so yea it was a lateral and got tipped backwards. Fumble all day in any books.

Ignore the red line. The ball starts behind the hash marks and ends up on top of them.

I think y'all aren't being objective here. It is OK, we won the game, no one is going to overturn our victory.
Not really, this is not clear from the picture as the ball can turn around in flight. Therefore no clear evidence of forward movement. So, it's a lateral.

While we're bigcrying about officiating, what about the ensuing driving (after GT scored to retake the lead) when a GT defender was practically undressed by a blocker while chasing the QB out of the pocket? The one where you could see full extension of the defender's jersey as he was chasing the QB?

So you're saying that there is no "inconclusive" evidence then? That's what the rule calls for. Makes no difference now, but BAD CALL to reverse the on field ruling in that instance.

I completely disagree. It was the on-field call that was a bad call.

The ball goes sideways. Sideways is a lateral. I don't know what they were thinking calling it an incomplete pass in the first place.

they did but forgot about the Coriolis effect

Actually the Coriolis effect would tend to make that particular pitch (in the easterly direction) deflect forward, not backward, for a player moving towards the south end zone.

Just saying.

There were several blatant holding instances that were seemingly blatantly ignored by the zebras. They had a poor game overall imo

Back