PJ... Extend or not to extend, that is the question!

Extend, Don't Extend, or Wait

• Total voters
I would extend now. I oil don't go crazy or anything, but Johnson has done well. Our DL will be much better next year and our O should too. The schedule is a killer though.

I vote two year extension. I think next year will be either rough or glorious. Hold on to your GT panties next season.

Even though I've been frustrated with him in past years, he is a good fit for GT. I'm looking forward to two more seasons of CPJ and Justin Thomas!

I would extend now. I oil don't go crazy or anything, but Johnson has done well. Our DL will be much better next year and our O should too. The schedule is a killer though.

I agree, pretty much, but we need some AB's and BB's pretty badly next season. We are pretty thin there when the seniors are gone. The OL looks real good as does QB. We have Snoddy, Andrews and Leggett back in the back field, but after that we are pretty questionable, IMO

Why do you extend after this season when his last year with us is 2016 season? Extend at the end of 2015, not at the end of this year.

Why do you extend after this season when his last year with us is 2016 season? Extend at the end of 2015, not at the end of this year.

Because you don't leave a coach with less than a two year contract. It hurts recruiting.

Because you don't leave a coach with less than a two year contract. It hurts recruiting.

We have 21 commits in a class where we expect to take what...26? I don't think recruiting is suffering by his lack of extension at this point.

Personally, I don't see a whole long line of teams looking to hire him so I think you absolutely wait until the end of the season. If we end up losing to Clemson, UGA and a bowl game, an 8-5 season isn't going to have tons of suitors lined up to steal him away.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

There is no doubt he is a very good offensive coach. There are too many factors outside of his control to usefully assess recruiting (e.g., rise of SEC, academics, etc.) and the defense has been underwhelming. You have to extend in my opinion: he has probably his second most ideal QB but certainly the best he has had thus far (considering first year starter) and you do not want to piss him off by waiting two years to extend him. My opinion, but I would extend him this offseason. I think a lot has changed over the past 10 years in college football, and for GT to remain relevant they need a very above average coach who values academics and wants to prove people wrong (by winning at Tech).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

There is no doubt he is a very good offensive coach. There are too many factors outside of his control to usefully assess recruiting (e.g., rise of SEC, academics, etc.) and the defense has been underwhelming. You have to extend in my opinion: he has probably his second most ideal QB but certainly the best he has had thus far (considering first year starter) and you do not want to piss him off by waiting two years to extend him. My opinion, but I would extend him this offseason. I think a lot has changed over the past 10 years in college football, and for GT to remain relevant they need a very above average coach who values academics and wants to prove people wrong (by winning at Tech).

Well said !!!!

We should approach the contract circumstances and CPJ personally as if he will be here forever. Let him know that he can build Georgia Tech football his way for our mutual legacy. Let him become synonymous with our football program.

Simultaneously, we signal to any potential recruit that he's on board for the duration and we continue to build the football development and Tech degree to all who qualify.

He's shown what he can do at the ACC level when he gets all of his unique elements in place. This year is 2008 again. Next year will be fun. It could be the real beginning on a lengthy successful string.

At this point there is one thing for sure. There are 3 people that don't have a clue!

I didn't expect over 70% to vote for extension. Nice.

A lot of people on the bandwagon.

I didn't expect over 70% to vote for extension. Nice.

A lot of people on the bandwagon.

Justin Thomas probably plays a huge role in this. For both the people here and the athletic association.

From pre-season: What's your MINIMUM requirement after regular season to extend CPJ for one more year? (percentage bolded if goal completed)

extend him regardless of results (13 votes - 9.15%)
BOS, clapper, forensicbuzz, GTROY, GTTerrific, jep77, KrazieJacket, MadTownJacket, manjano mdudu, midatlantech, originalwombat, PM Gold, SimpleGT

6 wins (10 votes - 7.04%)
85jacket, Beevis, cbee, GTCrew, GTJACKET, GTWannaBee, johncu, Kcs_Tech, TechSBP, ThisIsAtlanta

7 wins (12 votes - 8.45%)
1TechFan, beej67, Ceiling Cat, cyptomcat, gnats67, golftango18yankeejuliet, gtleviathan, hiveredtech, QuadF, sandlapperjacket, smokey_wasp, TechRush

8 wins (23 votes - 16.20%)
77GTFan, AlaGold, BarrelORum, BMEjacket04, buzzn, buzztheirazz, DediKtd2GT, GT flunkout, GT18YJjr., GT1992, gtbuzz2011, gtfan088, gtrower, JacketFan77, MCRP09, MySouthernJacket, Nashville Jacket, NEJacket1, ramblinwreck24, saxondawg, spandex, StingThing, Vespid

9 wins (18 votes 12.68%)
all4tech, Architorture23, BainbridgeJacket, BlackJacket, bravejason, BuzzCzar, Deke, dressedcheeseside, goldbybirth, GTFowler, Jacket-n-Athens, Milledgeville, MtownJacket, pjjacket, ramble on, scatman22, ScionOfSouthland, veerbone

10 wins (11 votes - 7.75%)
BeeProudBeeLoud, eneq, etc79, gojackets706, gt2690b, JoeCakeEater, non-gineer, oldfoggy, Stinger24, turbanicusgt, xrayjacket

beat at least 1 of UM, Clem, VT, uga (3 votes - 2.11%)
bmeGT, bookergt, gtg936g

beat at least 2 of UM, Clem, VT, uga (23 votes - 16.20%)
05GTCorndog, AlabamaBuzz, BigGTMike, BLEEDGOLD, brian22, bsakoff, BuzzLaw, bwolff, Clifflives10, EastboundJacket, fishinjacket, grantfield82, GTsapper, ippikiokami, ITJacket, JTGT21, killerbuzz42, MEwreck02, supersenior, TNJacketFan, Wreck Em, WreckRod, WrongShadeOfGold

beat at least 3 of UM, Clem, VT, uga (7 votes - 4.93%)
1NYJacket, 33jacket, DressHerInWhiteAndGold, GTEE3, GTJackets530, refrigeratormover, Yukonwreck

beat uga (22 votes - 15%)
84 Civil, Aiken Jacket, Akinji07, Andewa, atlanta jacket, boozinbuzz, Buzzfalcon, coit, DressCheeseSideSeaboard, eaglejacket98, gtphd, jackets1414, JEMJacket, Jerry the Jacket, MACHETE, macongajacket, MidGABuzz, Mkemkay, Nixon_Corral, Salter21, Tempest, texstinger

this gentlemen.. is how you do a callout.

We should approach the contract circumstances and CPJ personally as if he will be here forever. Let him know that he can build Georgia Tech football his way for our mutual legacy. Let him become synonymous with our football program.

Simultaneously, we signal to any potential recruit that he's on board for the duration and we continue to build the football development and Tech degree to all who qualify.

He's shown what he can do at the ACC level when he gets all of his unique elements in place. This year is 2008 again. Next year will be fun. It could be the real beginning on a lengthy successful string.

so we're beating uga? because i'll extend him infinitely if he can deliver 2008 every year.

Extend. Several very good reasons have already been listed --c18 for instance.

Look at the ACC Coastal, we have struggled with VPI and UM -but defeated both this season. Both will continue to bring in talented players, although I feel VPI is on the decline. As for UM -they've yet to win the Coastal.

Although we lost to Duke and UNC, we've pretty much owned them under CPJ. UVA and Pitt we should continue to have the upper hand as well.

We should continue to compete for the Coastal, and in turn the ACC, on a consistent basis. We need to step it up some to compete with FSU, but we're certainly capable.

UGA and Bowl games are an issue. We've been in the 2009, 2010 and 2013 UGA games -should have won last year. That being said, UGA will almost always have better talent, and it gets lost on many in our fan base that UGA, under Richt, is in the midst of it's most successful stretch, in terms of being a consistent top 25 team, in the history of it's program.

Bowl games have been pretty horrendous -and there's no excuse for it. CPJ needs to start winning bowl games.

In the end, I think we've got a great fit in CPJ as our head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back