PJ... Extend or not to extend, that is the question!

Extend, Don't Extend, or Wait

• Total voters
"Recruiting may be negatively affected and you may lose your coach to another team if you don't extend a contract. In fact, I support large, multi-year contract extensions."
- Paul Hewitt

I stand behind my preseason poll response.

He is one regular season win away from an extension. Not until then.

He should be shown the door if we finish on a 3 game losing streak to Clemson, UGa, and the bowl.

Under no circumstances do you extend until the end of 2015 season.We could easily lose to clem/ugay/bowl game.And, some of you folks say extend now just because of Tech's schedule in 2015 is hard and we may crash! Holy cow! you have already given johnson an excuse to have a losing season! I really don't get it, Paul Johnson is not the best that coach that Tech will ever have! Seriously,if he is,count me out!

Good. Leave. You bring nothing positive to the program.

Even if we win out you'd have things to complain about because we could've won the national championship or some bs.

I completely agree with yellowbritchies and say wait until the end of the season. There is still a lot of ball to be played and things could go great or the grapes could turn sour really quick. Today we are middle of the pack in a struggling Coastal division. However, with that being said if somehow PJ manages to beat Clemson, UGA and win a "respectable" bowl game I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a Paul Hewitt auto-renewing contract.

I completely agree with yellowbritchies and say wait until the end of the season. There is still a lot of ball to be played and things could go great or the grapes could turn sour really quick. Today we are middle of the pack in a struggling Coastal division. However, with that being said if somehow PJ manages to beat Clemson, UGA and win a "respectable" bowl game I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a Paul Hewitt auto-renewing contract.

he's saying wait until the end of 15.

I was thinking of saying it (or did elsewhere) but both sides have a lot at risk by waiting until the end of the year. It may be worthwhile to just do it at reasonable terms now.

If we finish o some incredible streak, PJ could demand a hell of a lot of cash and years.

If we lose out after extending now, the school loses money.

I can see it going either way but I think it's in the schools est interest to do it now and show some confidence in PJ as the entire program has progressed under his leadership.

We have graduating SA's
We compete for conference titles every season.
We have increased the recruiting staff and budget.
We are seeing real results on the field and on the recruiting trail.

He has shown repeatedly that his goal is to make GT football a better program.

I notice I haven't heard about his sub .500 record against FBS in a while.

He should be shown the door if we finish on a 3 game losing streak to Clemson, UGa, and the bowl.

So we should fire a coach after a bowl game (i.e., after most schools looking for coaches have either already hired a coach or at least spent several weeks interviewing candidates)? Gee, we need to get you on the phone with MBob right away!

Jeremy Foley said he was going to wait until season's end. So if nothing else we pick up Big Willie Muschamp. We know he can at least beat Georgia once every 4 years. This is a joke.

I believe we should wait until the middle of next year. Next year is his last on contract, and a lot of Tech fans (including myself) are swayed by the results of this year.

Let's not forget his record against VPISU/Da U/Clemson and UGAg the past few years. That being said, I love CPJ. I think our offense is functioning better than it ever has been and we've got a great QB in charge. The future looks bright under JT5. After that? Who knows.

If there weren't discussions going on through the season (or at least after Miami), I'd be surprised. I would think it's already in progress now.

With the recruiting classes coming in... plus the wins over VT & Miami....8-2 going into Clemson and UGA.....Extend him ASAP....However I would just extend him and his staff 2 years, so add 2 after 2015 so we have him through 2017....

Just as a point of clarification I believe his contract runs through December 31, 2016 as it stands today.

I think we're very likely sitting at 9-0 if Jabari and Kenderius were playing. This probably wouldn't be a question if that were the case.

Extend him. He is the perfect coach for Georgia Tech under current NCAA rules.

We can win a national title under him. It's not likely, and things will have to line up correctly, but it's doable. This season has shown that to me.

We're never going to be Alabama, Auburn, or even U[sic]GA. We're just not willing to admit the type of students it takes to do that. We've also done pretty öööö good during his tenure compared to other schools. Hell, just look at UNC, which literally created a fake major and jeopardized their entire university to win at athletics. No one is trading our program for theirs over the last six years.

Success doesn't come easy when you don't want to compromise; we should keep the guy who brings us moderate success and a chance to excel.

From the preseason I said beat 2 of the big 4 and resign him, but that was with the assumption we didn't lose to 2 teams we've owned over the last decade.

In this poll I said wait. Due to the losses to unc and Duke, I would say we need to win 2 of the last 3 to sign a new deal, otherwise wait to extend until after next year. 8-4 is a meh campaign with the 3 OOC oppenents we had this year. 9 wins with beating 3 of the big 4 are needed to make up for Duke and Unc in my book. If you don't beat Georgia and don't win the coastal, you haven't done anything worth getting an extension, you just met expectations to keep coaching under the current contract.

Btw, before anyone says it: You can say it's not the same ole Duke, but VPI is just like normal Duke this year so it evens out.

Im sure I will be called totally clueless by everybody in the thread, but my thoughts are you lock up your coach if he is a hot commodity. I really dont think there are any power 5 programs willing to go the triple option route no matter how successful he is with it here so we dont have to worry about UF sniffing around our campus. Regarding recruiting, I've always thought a coach in his last year or in a year where he could be fired (e.g. Muschamp) hurts recruiting, but a coach guaranteed to be there the next year is okay (i.e. PJ in 2015). Therefore the proper extension time is sometime near the end of the season next year, not this year.

öööö this thread really brought the retards out in full force. You either renew his contract this year or you start looking at coaching options, but you don't wait til next year. Do some of you eve pay attention to how this öööö works? Bunch of ööööing idiots on this board.

Last edited:
Back