Player Development under CGC

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Figured I would start a thread on this. Post where you are seeing players improve vs regress in under the new coach. I’ll start with one:

We used to talk about Curry always playing slow and out of position. He had back-to-back career high tackles the last two weeks and matched Morgan Burnett’s 2009 single game record against UNC.

User 8976

User account deleted
Figured I would start a thread on this. Post where you are seeing players improve vs regress in under the new coach. I’ll start with one:

We used to talk about Curry always playing slow and out of position. He had back-to-back career high tackles the last two weeks and matched Morgan Burnett’s 2009 single game record against UNC.
good idea for a thread. well done.

TechAKnee

Flats Noob
J. Thomas been quite this year. Is he hurt? Any reason we don’t see him on punt/kick returns?

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
J. Thomas been quite this year. Is he hurt? Any reason we don’t see him on punt/kick returns?
I could be mistaken, but I think he had a club on one of his hands earlier this year. Not sure what his current status is.

Gobees

Jolly Good Fellow
I could be mistaken, but I think he had a club on one of his hands earlier this year. Not sure what his current status is.
Still in a cast on Saturday. Playing defense only.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I got another. Have we had a DB in a one on one battle look completely lost or helpless this year? Nothing sticks out if we have.

Technique is vastly improved there.
Defense has been the bomb so far this year. I am surprised whenever someone misses a one on one tackle this season. How long has it been since we have had guys making one on one open field tackles consistently? I like watching this aggressive style of defense and I can't wait until we get some solid DL help. I hope recruits like the changes they are seeing on defense, they should.

Another area I think is improved is running backs. It is more subtle than what you see on defense; but I think TChoice was a great addition there.

I hope the rest of the season we see QB and OL development. The OL looked improved this past week, if they can keep that up the VPI game could be interesting.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?

He talked about this quite a bit on GT:60 this week. Talked about the use of the Catapult system and how it trains the guys to “practice at a high level” and give “maximum effort”. Seems like a great way to get guys to push themselves in a highly measurable way. And they wear it during games as well.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Still in a cast on Saturday. Playing defense only.
Is this why he's not returning kicks? Kinda like Wells getting benched in favor of King, my memories of Juanyeh last year make me want to see him out there again this year.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Is this why he's not returning kicks? Kinda like Wells getting benched in favor of King, my memories of Juanyeh last year make me want to see him out there again this year.
What is the situation with Wells? Is he injured?

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
UNC ran almost 100 plays.

Opponents typically had fewer plays per game under Johnson, and our offense controlled more clock, so it'd make sense that individual player tackles would spike this season.

If you want to check for improvement, let's talk tackles per play.

Edit:
2019 - UNC 97 offensive plays

18in32

Petard Hoister
If you want to check for improvement, let's talk tackles per play.
Huh? Don't all plays end with a tackle? Or I guess a TD or an out-of-bounds? Setting aside the TD's for the moment, not sure it much matters whether a defense is ending the play with a tackle or an OOB. Do you think that reflects something about defensive efficiency or something?

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Huh? Don't all plays end with a tackle? Or I guess a TD or an out-of-bounds? Setting aside the TD's for the moment, not sure it much matters whether a defense is ending the play with a tackle or an OOB. Do you think that reflects something about defensive efficiency or something?
I'm saying it's not a mark of improvement that Curry's tackle total was the largest since 2009 or whenever. Opponents have more offensive plays now than they have had since pre-Johnson, so of course the tackle totals will be higher.

Last year, Rivera had 10 tackles on 67 UNC plays. This year, Curry has 16 tackles on 97 UNC plays. So Curry had 1 tackle like every 6 plays, and Rivera had 1 tackle every 6.7 plays. Not a significant difference

Judging a defensive player by total tackles in a game is like judging a punter by total punt yards in a game.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Why isn't Juanyeh returning kicks anymore? Injury?

Oliver is great and all but Juanyeh ran back several last year. Juanyeh went from a star player to hidden

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I believe he's simply been beaten out in practice, according to CGC.
I am puzzled based on Wells' performance last year versus King's performance this year. Of course since we have only attempted three field goals so far there is a small sample size for King. Still, nine for nine with a long of 48 yards beats one for three with a long of 34 yards.