Player Development under CGC

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
UNC ran almost 100 plays.

Opponents typically had fewer plays per game under Johnson, and our offense controlled more clock, so it'd make sense that individual player tackles would spike this season.

If you want to check for improvement, let's talk tackles per play.

Edit:
2019 - UNC 97 offensive plays
Okay, let’s talk about it then. What have you got?

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
DVR'ed the NC game and started watching yesterday. I see marked improvement and the kids balled out. I didn't notice as much trash talking and antics. Graham certainly improved and while we are still overmatched in the trenches we have some playmakers. David Curry was all over the field. There was at least 2 plays though where he blitzed the QB that if he would have gotten his hands up it would have led to errant throws from the QB. This can and should be noted in the film room.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Why isn't Juanyeh returning kicks anymore? Injury?

Oliver is great and all but Juanyeh ran back several last year. Juanyeh went from a star player to hidden
Please read the posts before yours in this thread. If you still need that question answered, let us know.

johncu

Dodd-Like
UNC ran almost 100 plays.

Opponents typically had fewer plays per game under Johnson, and our offense controlled more clock, so it'd make sense that individual player tackles would spike this season.

If you want to check for improvement, let's talk tackles per play.

Edit:
2019 - UNC 97 offensive plays
This is completely true, but it doesn't change the fact that Curry looks like a completely different player. Last year he looked bad against the run and even worse in coverage. This year he is driving people backwards with his tackles and even looks a little better in coverage. He's definitely improved significantly.

User 10337

This is completely true, but it doesn't change the fact that Curry looks like a completely different player. Last year he looked bad against the run and even worse in coverage. This year he is driving people backwards with his tackles and even looks a little better in coverage. He's definitely improved significantly.
He also looked slow, both mentally (being out of position/not recognizing plays) and physically. He does not look like that this year.

johncu

Dodd-Like
To my novice eye, Charlie Thomas looks really good as well. He's got a knack for big plays and has been making them pretty consistently. It's amazing how linebacker has gone from a massive weakness to a solid group that I'm excited we return next year.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow
He also looked slow, both mentally (being out of position/not recognizing plays) and physically. He does not look like that this year.
Ehh, I think this past game he took a big step forward, for whatever reason. He did not play this well earlier in the season. Hopefully he can keep it up and improve even more.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I'm saying it's not a mark of improvement that Curry's tackle total was the largest since 2009 or whenever. Opponents have more offensive plays now than they have had since pre-Johnson, so of course the tackle totals will be higher.

Last year, Rivera had 10 tackles on 67 UNC plays. This year, Curry has 16 tackles on 97 UNC plays. So Curry had 1 tackle like every 6 plays, and Rivera had 1 tackle every 6.7 plays. Not a significant difference

Judging a defensive player by total tackles in a game is like judging a punter by total punt yards in a game.
The difference I see there is a LB has the most tackles now as opposed to the Safety making them. That's usually a good sign.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I am puzzled based on Wells' performance last year versus King's performance this year. Of course since we have only attempted three field goals so far there is a small sample size for King. Still, nine for nine with a long of 48 yards beats one for three with a long of 34 yards.
It's not just as simple as "King is beating him in practice." That makes it sound something like King is making 19/20 in practice and Wells might be making 18/20. The word is Wells has the yips and is missing badly. You can see it if you watch pre-game. Something mental going on with him right now and he is extremely inconsistent. Do you not remember we put him in and he missed the XP vs Citadel?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
I wonder what our defensive YPP is this year compared to the past 10 years?

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
There was at least 2 plays though where he blitzed the QB that if he would have gotten his hands up it would have led to errant throws from the QB. This can and should be noted in the film room.
I definitely noticed at least one of those while watching live, and yelled “get your hands up.” It’s one of those things I seem to remember a previous coaching staff (maybe O’Leary) emphasize that bugs me when I don’t see it.

(Similarly, I’ve always liked the “stand on the 10 and let it go if it’s over your head” approach to fielding punts that O’Leary or somebody used to preach. We’ve fielded a couple inside the 10 that didn’t work out for us this season.)

JRjr

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Figured I would start a thread on this. Post where you are seeing players improve vs regress in under the new coach. I’ll start with one:

We used to talk about Curry always playing slow and out of position. He had back-to-back career high tackles the last two weeks and matched Morgan Burnett’s 2009 single game record against UNC.
Not much... But there’s only so much they can do. The highest priority is getting players through the transfer portal and recruiting.

User 10337

I definitely noticed at least one of those while watching live, and yelled “get your hands up.” It’s one of those things I seem to remember a previous coaching staff (maybe O’Leary) emphasize that bugs me when I don’t see it.

(Similarly, I’ve always liked the “stand on the 10 and let it go if it’s over your head” approach to fielding punts that O’Leary or somebody used to preach. We’ve fielded a couple inside the 10 that didn’t work out for us this season.)

JRjr
Some players aren’t capable of playing meta games.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Your question made me curious as well, so I looked it up, and the results are extremely odd.

Right now our defense is giving up an average 5.7 YPP at 75 plays per game. The past 10 year average (2009-2018) we are giving up 5.8 YPP at 65 plays per game. 10 less plays per game for our defense sounds about right when running the 3O. The biggest difference now is that we are not running as many plays as our opponents. The last 10 years we average about 5 more plays on offense than defense. Right now we are averaging 60 plays offense per game, so 15 less plays than on defense. Here is the odd stat: years we've given up the most YPP on defense? 2009 and 2014, our best 2 seasons over the past 10 years. Those years we gave up 6.1 and 6.3 YPP, only other time 6 or higher was last year we gave up 6.0 YPP. Every other season has been 5.5-5.8. The only outlier of note is that in 2009 when we gave up 6.1 YPP, our defense only averaged 59 plays per game, so they may have given up more yards per play, but were efficient at getting off the field, or our offense was holding the field more, or both.

johncu

Dodd-Like
We're currently ranked 81st nationally at 5.9 defensive yards per play.

Here are previous years:

2018: 6.1
2017: 5.6
2016: 5.7
2015: 5.9
2014: 6.2
2013: 5.6
2012: 5.7
2011: 5.5
2010: 5.8
2009: 6.1
2008: 4.9

That's surprising to me. I would have thought we were doing better this year, but it appears to be about the same.