Playoffs?

What if Alabama beat Georgia, and they decided to put both Michigan and Ohio State in and leave both Alabama and Georgia out? That would certainly make for a great Paul Finebaum (?) show. Also, what if FSU wins a close game with Louisville, and they leave FSU out? What if they think an FSU team without an experienced QB could not be competitive in the four team playoff?

If Michigan wins, they are in. If Washington beats Oregon they are in (if not, Oregon is a bubble team). If FSU wins, they are probably in. If Texas wins, they are a bubble team too. It’ll come down to Bama and UGA - we know what happens if the cesspool wins, but if Bama does and the undefeated teams win:

Michigan
Washington
Bama
Texas or FSU

Bama not only needs to beat UGAY but they need to beat them soundly.

I would absolutely love the CFP to actually be 4 conference champions for once…

1. Michigan
2. FSU
3. Washington
4. Bama

Where do yesterday’s games leave the playoff situation?

#1 was underwhelming against us. Would love it if they dropped a spot.

#2 Ohio State lost to #3 - probably won’t fall much.

#3 Michigan beat #2, probably not enough to rise above #2.

#4 Washington needed a last second FG to beat a middling Washington State team

#5 FSU got past Florida but has no QB.

What are we expecting going into next weekend?

JRjr
The sec has won 4 nattys in a row, and 5 of 6. There’s no way in the world bama isn’t in with a win.

The real qqq would be who to leave out if fsu, wash, bama and Mich win. Obvious answer would be cesspool but man, how could one logically say they aren’t one of best four. They’d be favored by 14 against fsu, heads up, even after a bama loss.

Opposite of that is uga had their chance (conf championship game) and blew it.

I think oreg/wash winner is in. Both ranked higher than Texas and oreg should jump fsu with the win

Fsu could win and still not be in, but only if bama wins, imo. Dawgs win and an fsu win puts them in. And then they get their ass handed to them in semis.

Reason I don’t like 12 team set up is that the extra game will be really hard on teams going into quarterfinal games against rested, better teams. I’d still go 8 with no byes.

Just my dos centavos!

Should be fun.

The ideal scenario would be Michigan, Washington, FSU, Texas, Alabama all winning.

Georgia would be the only 1 loss conference runner up. Would the committee look at FSU and demote them, ala how it’s sometimes done in March Madness (State U lost their PG in the conference championship, so they’re a 4 seed rather than a 2).

I could see FSU getting left out, leaving logically Texas being awarded the 4 seed, but don’t think they somehow Georgia gets pushed into the picture, although I don’t see how given the scenario above.

I think Oregon beats Washington and they would grab that slot. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

If Michigan wins, they are in. If Washington beats Oregon they are in (if not, Oregon is a bubble team). If FSU wins, they are probably in. If Texas wins, they are a bubble team too. It’ll come down to Bama and UGA - we know what happens if the cesspool wins, but if Bama does and the undefeated teams win:

Michigan
Washington
Bama
Texas or FSU
Oregon is in with a win Friday night. Bank it. The P12 was the best conference and a win over #3 Washington to end the season locks the Ducks in. Oregon and Michigan are the 2 best teams right now. Against damn uga or Bama, I’d much rather roll the dice with Oregon than anyone else. No one is playing better than Oregon.

FSU and Alabama are the WC’s are this point. FSU loss opens the door for Texas & uga if they lose to Bama.

Right but I'm only thinking about keeping UGA out of the playoff. All FSU has to do is beat Louisville (I'd rate it as slightly less than 50% chance) and they're undefeated conference champs.

Say it, Louisville. "In the 4th, my ass goes down."

1701128359167.png

Alabama beats Georgia. FSU, Washington, & Michigan remain undefeated. Does a one loss Georgia bump a P5 undefeated? If so, which one? If they do, and its FSU, does that kill the ACC? Or would they bump Washington first since the P12 is already dead?

Alabama beats Georgia. FSU, Washington, & Michigan remain undefeated. Does a one loss Georgia bump a P5 undefeated? If so, which one? If they do, and its FSU, does that kill the ACC? Or would they bump Washington first since the P12 is already dead?
That scenario means uga is out. No way an undefeated conference champion is out against a 1 loss team. It doesn’t matter if uga pulls an Auburn and loses like only Auburn can.

The term “Auburning” needs to be a thing. They have managed to blow the last 2 games against Alabama @ Auburn based on pure stupidity.

Where do yesterday’s games leave the playoff situation?

#1 was underwhelming against us. Would love it if they dropped a spot.

#2 Ohio State lost to #3 - probably won’t fall much.

#3 Michigan beat #2, probably not enough to rise above #2.

#4 Washington needed a last second FG to beat a middling Washington State team

#5 FSU got past Florida but has no QB.

What are we expecting going into next weekend?

JRjr
Give your team a little credit. The Committee will likely see the game as a hard fought in-state rivalry game, which it was.

UGA simply isn’t as good as any of the playoff teams in my opinion. They may beat Alabama, but I’m not sure Bama is that good either. I have a feeling whatever SEC team shows up for the playoffs is de-pantsed in round 1.

We need Michigan and Washington to win and we also need Bama to steamroll the mutts. That would make me happy, but more like Bama wins a close one and the mutts squeak in.

I hope uga loses to bama by 40, then makes the playoffs anyway, then their plane crashes but somehow the pilots (both GT grads) manage to have brought parachutes and fortunately survived to tell the tale of how the crash was the fault of the unruly uga players doing stupid things. The only thing heard on the cockpit voice recorder is barking and the flight data recorders were destroyed like angry apes around the monolith. That's my Christmas wish.

The main question in all the scenarios is if Bama beats UGAg, should they get in over Texas given they lost head-to-head.

I say yes, but I am biased having living in Austin and understanding that UT fans are right up there with UGAg, ND, and the osu fans when it comes to being delusional.

Back