Portal opens on Monday

It’s funny that schools that continue to get high ranked players brag about it, while schools that don’t get high ranked players will contend that rating services are bogus.
There are also more 4,5* players now vs 10-20 years ago. There are also very few 2* players (majority are 3*). Any guess why that is?

There are also more 4,5* players now vs 10-20 years ago. There are also very few 2* players (majority are 3*). Any guess why that is?
Maybe it's a business decision by the rating services. Easier to convince someone to buy your service if you tell them good news than to tell them their recruiting sucks.

Maybe it's a business decision by the rating services. Easier to convince someone to buy your service if you tell them good news than to tell them their recruiting sucks.
Bingo. Yet people are naive enough not to see that? Every school gets the ole commitment “bump” by the sites mod it seems if they were previously a 2* or in some cases a late rising 3* who commits to a Factory gets the ole 4th star.

As Mike Farrell has jokingly said, the previous 2* in the early mid 2000’s are all 3*’s now.

As I understand it, there are only supposed to be 30-35 5* players every season, by design. Is that not the case? I can't speak on the other stars. But understanding Bud Elliott's blue chip ratio, you have to have 50% 4* and above players to have a chance to win a national title.

Let's not assume he's a "ööööing quitter". Players are evaluated and some end up fitting, some don't.
You're absolutely right.

Over the last few days, I've learned that in this current ööööed up environment he may well have been run off after an "audition" (or it may have simply been a case of him not being able to handle Calculus ... and there's no shame in that).

You're absolutely right.

Over the last few days, I've learned that in this current ööööed up environment he may well have been run off after an "audition" (or it may have simply been a case of him not being able to handle Calculus ... and there's no shame in that).
I am told he has potential but very raw and we don't have luxury of time to have him develop for a couple of years.

Wow, now that's a surprise! It was my understanding that the coaching staff was bullish on him at C. I guess that not highly-rated IMG product (Alo something) must have passed him on the depth chart as a true freshman :dunno:.

Wow, now that's a surprise! It was my understanding that the coaching staff was bullish on him at C. I guess that not highly-rated IMG product (Alo something) must have passed him on the depth chart as a true freshman :dunno:.

And Harrison Moore

The IMG kid was repping with the 2nd team.

With the NCAA officially abolishing any rules related to transferring and sitting out a year, this will show whether GT is truly “all in” for the future in football. There will no longer be an APR component soon, so the academic excuse should be out the window. Reality is, a player only needs to be in “good academic” standing for 1-2 semesters as a transfer at this point to be a contributor. The likelihood that there are players who transfer on a roster more than 2 years will be a rarity going forward.

So will the GT academic hill allow GT to bring in a lot of transfers to elevate the program? This will be very interesting to watch going forward. Fact is, HS recruiting is taking a huge backseat in recruiting now.

With the NCAA officially abolishing any rules related to transferring and sitting out a year, this will show whether GT is truly “all in” for the future in football. There will no longer be an APR component soon, so the academic excuse should be out the window. Reality is, a player only needs to be in “good academic” standing for 1-2 semesters as a transfer at this point to be a contributor. The likelihood that there are players who transfer on a roster more than 2 years will be a rarity going forward.

So will the GT academic hill allow GT to bring in a lot of transfers to elevate the program? This will be very interesting to watch going forward. Fact is, HS recruiting is taking a huge backseat in recruiting now.

Per HS, the portal is already having a huge effect, as less good student athletes are even being seen.
Before I came to play beesball, the importance of being a good overall student/athlete was paramount, at least at GT.
With the advent of APRs, the situation was somewhat improved (at least relative to academics).

However, with this new stance, the negative academic effects will cascade down to high schools, as academic performance will be totally de-emphasized in favor of just getting them through and on to their mostly unproductive sports "career".
As a result, there will be even more HS "student" athletes just passed through at the minumum standard which is already pretty damn low in some places. We'll be back to college "students" who can't even read or add/subtract. Yippee.

Per HS, the portal is already having a huge effect, as less good student athletes are even being seen.
Before I came to play beesball, the importance of being a good overall student/athlete was paramount, at least at GT.
With the advent of APRs, the situation was somewhat improved (at least relative to academics).

However, with this new stance, the negative academic effects will cascade down to high schools, as academic performance will be totally de-emphasized in favor of just getting them through and on to their mostly unproductive sports "career".
As a result, there will be even more HS "student" athletes just passed through at the minumum standard which is already pretty damn low in some places. We'll be back to college "students" who can't even read or add/subtract. Yippee.
Listening to Rick Neuheisel yesterday, he said when he was the HC at UCLA they told HS kids you’ll need to go elsewhere and come in as a transfer. Basically said, it’s much easier to get in to UCLA that way. The complete opposite of say Tennessee, Mississippi State, WVU, UofL, etc.

This is a problem for a school like Stanford that already really limits HS kids, and hardly takes in transfers. With the Portal, they are now losing more players than they accept via transfer. Another example of a school that will need to figure out Tthe “game” if they want to be a part of the future of CFB.

Interesting times to say the least.

Even fewer kids will be able to leverage their athletic ability to build a better life after their college career ends. Instead they will bounce from school to school and never earn a degree.

Back