Portal opens on Monday

Ivy 2 based on what exactly? GT hasn't gone anywhere in the rankings over the last 20 years but a little down. Meanwhile the football factories have skyrocketed because those schools understand the PR value of athletics, so much so that many are right on the heels of GT today in any major overall ranking.

I think you mean Conference USA 2
Just saying that in the end we could end up in a league that looks like this:
Tech
Stanford
Pitt
BC
Duke
uVA
Tulane or Miami
Rice or Wake
Cal
SMU

Of course progress to degree hurt Tech. It directly punishes a school for having players take real majors with real challenges vs fake majors.
You think GT's Literature, Media and whatever is a real major?

Just saying that in the end we could end up in a league that looks like this:
Tech
Stanford
Pitt
BC
Duke
uVA
Tulane or Miami
Rice or Wake
Cal
SMU
That's Conference USA. I just think it's important that we all understand these alternatives, since so many people were so against playing in the B1G for geographic and "rivalry" reasons.

To many i am sure the nostalgia is/was overblown . To many it was real. To me it was real. I guess I was fooled. Or at a minimum I was blissfully ignorant. Not enlightened. But I sure liked it. And miss it. It created in us a level of fandom and support and connection that in some eyes bordered on irrational. My point, at least generationally speaking, is I have yet to converse with anyone in my sphere of fans that says I really like the new model. It has always been this way so I am still all in. I have said this before. Time will tell if there will be an increase or decrease in fan support. I suspect TV eyeballs will be the only measuring stick and this will be void of the fake nostalgia many of us fell for. Of course I will still watch just as I do other forms of entertainment. Only now with enlightened eyes.
Listen, I hear you and am glad you realize that it was all something you built up in your own head even though the reality wasn’t what you believed.

You say you don’t know anyone in your sphere of friends who like the new model. Again, get a bigger sphere or at least realize your sphere isn’t the truth. I have 2 kids at GT right now. Those fans in their sphere love it. I just spent last Saturday on campus for the spring game and the optimism is huge because we have portal players all over the roster and getting more.

I use to think like you until I saw the truth while a student at GT when I saw the corruption almost rip our 1990 Natty away. That’s when I lost my innocence. And since then I’ve seen how the NCAA protects certain teams and hammers others. Anything that kills the NCAA is a friend of mine. I’m sure college football lost fans and gained fans at many points in its corrupt history like integration. If this current iteration chases a few fans away then it is what it is. But, the younger generation could care less how a player got in their schools uniform for 12 - 15 games. If you don’t like our QB because he signed with another school out of high school then so be it.

Reality is, GT is about to be able to recruit with even less restrictions than GOL was given. GOL’s flunkgate + APR put the lockdown on CCG, CPJ. With the NCAA all but out of the picture, being academically eligible is all that will matter. This is how it always should have been.

Reality is, GT is about to be able to recruit with even less restrictions than GOL was given. GOL’s flunkgate + APR put the lockdown on CCG, CPJ. With the NCAA all but out of the picture, being academically eligible is all that will matter. This is how it always should have been.
And 90% of the kids take online classes anyway. Send me that öööö, I'll pass it for ya. No problem.

Well, maybe not me anymore, send it to your "advisor."

Why bother with the farce that they are students? Just bus them into campus on Saturdays.

We should make all decisions based on DEI and have more disruptive protests on campus. That is what the really elite schools do.

Listen, I hear you and am glad you realize that it was all something you built up in your own head even though the reality wasn’t what you believed.

You say you don’t know anyone in your sphere of friends who like the new model. Again, get a bigger sphere or at least realize your sphere isn’t the truth. I have 2 kids at GT right now. Those fans in their sphere love it. I just spent last Saturday on campus for the spring game and the optimism is huge because we have portal players all over the roster and getting more.

I use to think like you until I saw the truth while a student at GT when I saw the corruption almost rip our 1990 Natty away. That’s when I lost my innocence. And since then I’ve seen how the NCAA protects certain teams and hammers others. Anything that kills the NCAA is a friend of mine. I’m sure college football lost fans and gained fans at many points in its corrupt history like integration. If this current iteration chases a few fans away then it is what it is. But, the younger generation could care less how a player got in their schools uniform for 12 - 15 games. If you don’t like our QB because he signed with another school out of high school then so be it.
We totally agree on one key point here. Your comment - So be it - sums it up. To each his own and regardless of why or if you agree with me mean is meaningless to me but my reality is the new model is not important enough for me to stay engaged at the level I have in the past. I am sure there are those who fall all along this spectrum and for their own reasons. Not right or wrong just choices being made. Some will increase support and enthusiasm and others will move on. I am glad you and your sphere are enthusiastic supporters.

This is not 1960 anymore. Almost none of the players in today's game were either recruited for academics nor care about the degree. With the rule passed last week making transfers immediately eligible no matter how many times they transfer it is a wide open free for all. Even the few players who care about a degree have to be concerned if they do not immediately make first or 2nd team will fall to the Urban Meyers and Deion's of the world who can take a look after one season , run them off and re-recruit the portal. We've beaten that dead horse, but Tech is falling farther and farther behind in the arms race. There will be a day when we have to band together with others who couldn't keep up in the arms race like Tulane, Rice, etc.

This is not 1960 anymore. Almost none of the players in today's game were either recruited for academics nor care about the degree. With the rule passed last week making transfers immediately eligible no matter how many times they transfer it is a wide open free for all. Even the few players who care about a degree have to be concerned if they do not immediately make first or 2nd team will fall to the Urban Meyers and Deion's of the world who can take a look after one season , run them off and re-recruit the portal. We've beaten that dead horse, but Tech is falling farther and farther behind in the arms race. There will be a day when we have to band together with others who couldn't keep up in the arms race like Tulane, Rice, etc.
The first part of your comment is accurate- it's not 1960 anymore. However, I do believe in JBatt and our President. They have the vision to keep us in the arms race and stay in it for the long haul. The past regime did not do us any favors, but those days are truly done!

We totally agree on one key point here. Your comment - So be it - sums it up. To each his own and regardless of why or if you agree with me mean is meaningless to me but my reality is the new model is not important enough for me to stay engaged at the level I have in the past. I am sure there are those who fall all along this spectrum and for their own reasons. Not right or wrong just choices being made. Some will increase support and enthusiasm and others will move on. I am glad you and your sphere are enthusiastic supporters.
I hear you and you should absolutely do what decreases stress in your life. And I’m not an enthusiastic supporter of this system. I think there should be a 1 year sit out rule. But just because that’s what I want doesn’t mean I’m going to abandon the sport I’ve watched for 50 years because others see it differently. I’m sure as I get older I’ll get more stubborn and eventually will abandon it just like we all do with a lot of things.

My whole point is it seems like GT has a lot of fans who have had their head buried for decades regarding “the system of the day” yet scream and yell when we lose. Our program has fallen off because our administrators never changed with the times as the rules and landscape changed. It’s been 40 years since academics mattered in college football yet we still have fans today talking about the classroom while hamstringing coaches while every other southern school used the rules of the day to recruit better athletes. It has finally taken the implosion of the NCAA’s enforcement branch for GT to be ripped from their fog of the mythical “student-athlete” from the 1950’s. Those players don’t exist anymore except in DII or below .500 teams. You and I may not like it but we can lose for the next 100 years by pretending or we can win by doing what all other schools do. Glad that Cabrera and JBatt want to win more than look down their noses.

I hear you and you should absolutely do what decreases stress in your life. And I’m not an enthusiastic supporter of this system. I think there should be a 1 year sit out rule. But just because that’s what I want doesn’t mean I’m going to abandon the sport I’ve watched for 50 years because others see it differently. I’m sure as I get older I’ll get more stubborn and eventually will abandon it just like we all do with a lot of things.

My whole point is it seems like GT has a lot of fans who have had their head buried for decades regarding “the system of the day” yet scream and yell when we lose. Our program has fallen off because our administrators never changed with the times as the rules and landscape changed. It’s been 40 years since academics mattered in college football yet we still have fans today talking about the classroom while hamstringing coaches while every other southern school used the rules of the day to recruit better athletes. It has finally taken the implosion of the NCAA’s enforcement branch for GT to be ripped from their fog of the mythical “student-athlete” from the 1950’s. Those players don’t exist anymore except in DII or below .500 teams. You and I may not like it but we can lose for the next 100 years by pretending or we can win by doing what all other schools do. Glad that Cabrera and JBatt want to win more than look down their noses.
100% this.

Back