Positive surprises

Positive surprise: the penalties seemed to go our way, particularly on that one drive. We actually got some of those holding calls we weren't getting the past couple games.

Clayton had a big, big impact on the last 2 series to ice the game. Loved seeing pressure with the game on the line.
I was expecting a Falconsesque defensive collapse at the end of the game (Falcons have given me late lead PTSD), but Tech got pressure on the QB which relieved my anxiety.

Apart from how disrespectful and irritating it was, I just don't get why anyone thought that was a productive use of air time. I could understand if it was the 4th quarter of a blowout, but I can't imagine too many people watching that game and thinking "I'd really like to hear some woman's scarcely audible take on Clemson-Miami right now--that won't be distracting and bizarre, and I'll totally be listening to what she has to say."
Do what do....just turn the audio down, and discuss the game with Stingtalkers live.

THe fake punt was cool.
The WR pass was brilliant.
The lack of TOs was a huge relief.
The TD pass to Gibbs was gutsy and won the game ,me thinks.
THEIR tackling was WORSE than ours.

Amazing how we were able to sack the QB with only rushing 3 guys. Maybe do that more often.

Positive Surprises:
a) Patenaude called a pretty good game
b) Offensive line looked more organized
c) Stopped trying to throw the deep ball
d) I don't think we got flagged for too many men on the field
e) scored over 40 points
f) second half adjustments

Negatives:
a) tackling
b) break downs in coverage
c) lack a nasty inside runner (need a 3rd & Laskey type; maybe Mason fills that void)
and of course d) place kicking

I think Patenaude has figured out he can use Gibbs like Roger Craig, and getting Brown, Gibbs, Carter, Camp.. the ball in open space makes good things happen.

Positive Surprises:
e) scored over 40 points

Negatives:
a) tackling
c) lack a nasty inside runner (need a 3rd & Laskey type; maybe Mason fills that void)

I think Patenaude has figured out he can use Gibbs like Roger Craig, and getting Brown, Gibbs, Carter, Camp.. the ball in open space makes good things happen.
It’s hard to be too upset with P-Node when we are putting up over 400 yards of offense per game with a true freshman quarterback. Every team has bad series and head scratching play calls. But 400 yards + per game is a positive development and we see what we can do when we don’t turn the ball over.

It’s hard to be too upset with P-Node when we are putting up over 400 yards of offense per game with a true freshman quarterback. Every team has bad series and head scratching play calls. But 400 yards + per game is a positive development and we see what we can do when we don’t turn the ball over.
Absolutely. But man he has some head scratchers for sure. Can’t wait until we start clicking.

Think about it....this is literally Year 1 with our new guy at QB.

Positive Surprises:
e) scored over 40 points

Negatives:
a) tackling

I think the inside run will come with more of the newly recruited linemen getting in there. I saw some runs up the middle where a hole was almost there but a defender pushed the lineman right into the running back.

Not to mention that while the dingbat was droning on about T Lawrence, Harvin dropped a punt on the 1 yard line that we tried to down on the one. I didn't know until after the commercial if the ball was on the one or the 20.
Watching it live, I thought it was downed at the one. Then they showed the Tech sideline and you could tell from the body language we had been jobbed. Of course since they didn’t give a damn about our game, there was no reply. Worst football telecast segment I think I’ve ever seen.

2nd half adjustments. Glad to see some mojo through the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter tenacity.

There's a lot to like about our performance Friday, so don't take this the wrong way.

I think the only things that are keeping this team from being great, besides lack of experience which will fix itself, is lack of speed at linebacker and safety and depth at DT. Those will come but it will be painfully slow (no pun intended). We have some exciting true freshmen, but they are not ready yet.

Our ends are diagnosing like crazy but are double teamed and we are vulnerable to strong running teams and crossing patterns and posts, etc. We have guys playing above their athletic ability level, but we need our young athletic ability to mature and step in at linebacker and safety. We need to claim the middle of the field as ours, and that takes speed, not heart.

Satterfield is a very good coach who has a disciplined team. It was impressive to watch our coaches make the adjustments and our coach him down the stretch.
Satterfield is a good coach however, all that time spent in the Southern Conf you would have thought after the Citadel game last year, he would have used the option against us.

Our offense has been putting up good numbers. It’s the turnovers, and especially the inceptions deep in positive territory that have killed us. But those are the kinds of things you get with a true freshman quarterback with limited practice because of a pandemic. It should get better as the season progresses.

Apart from how disrespectful and irritating it was, I just don't get why anyone thought that was a productive use of air time. I could understand if it was the 4th quarter of a blowout, but I can't imagine too many people watching that game and thinking "I'd really like to hear some woman's scarcely audible take on Clemson-Miami right now--that won't be distracting and bizarre, and I'll totally be listening to what she has to say."
She probably got sex harassed last week in the office and ESPN said they’d give her that air time if she promised to not to public.

Back