Post game Discussion 111.12.3

Our OL and DL are still not where they need to be in terms of physical strength.

Anytime GT plays a team that is physical, usually both GT lines of scrimmage get manhandled.

Hopefully, GT can recruit better OL and DL players or get some much needed lineman
through the portal. I guess time will tell.

I watched the Ole Miss vs UGa game, the dwags OL and DL look like a professional team,
they are huge, move good and are well coached. The only team I believe that can hang
with them is Alabama. As much as I despise those folks in Athens, I must say they
are loaded with good players and a huge amount of depth, something that is sorely
lacking on the Flats.
They are a professional team.

In his post-game presser, Haynes King said, "They just had a really good scheme. They played hard. Physical, fast. We just couldn’t convert, couldn’t make that play which seemed to be happening the last two weeks. It happens. Sometimes you just gotta find a way." My response to that is that yes, King had a bad day, but what he said about what worked the last 2 weeks, but not yesterday is not on him; it's on Buster Faulkner for not having any plays to call that made adjustments for what Clemson was doing. TERRIBLE play-calling yesterday by Faulkner.

Not having plays to call? Our elite WR dropped two TD passes. Two.

I’d say the play calling was pretty good early on until the wheels fell off.

Not having plays to call? Our elite WR dropped two TD passes. Two.

I’d say the play calling was pretty good early on until the wheels fell off.
And when did King throw to Singleton again? Not until the 4th quarter if I remember correctly. After it became obvious early on that Clemson was prepared for King's QB keeper that had worked spectacularly against UNC and UVA, then why keep trying it. It was never going to work yesterday, because Clemson was prepared for it. And that damn bubble screen play (or whatever the correct name for it is) has worked ONCE all season, and yet Faulkner called it on 2 out of 3 downs on one series. Clemson, on the other hand called it once or twice and it worked perfectly with good yardage. That tells me that since our D apparently can't cover it in practice, Faulkner somehow believes that it is a high percentage play. But not being able to cover it in practice, doesn't mean the play should work; it means that our D can't cover it no matter who runs it. The wheels fell off because Faulkner wasn't prepared to adjust. Does he not view film and see just what the opposing D might do in a game? Sounds to me ike he doesn't.

in the offensive line play, and then today happened. They are better than they were, but they are no where near as dominant as we need them to be in order to be highly successful as a team. Clemson front seven is good, but this is an ass whoopin they are giving us up front today. Just my opinion, but we are just too soft up front.
I agree, whenever this team plays an opponent that is physical, the softness of both of our lines of scrimmages
gets exposed. We can only hope both lines of scrimmage gets better and that the GT coaching staff starts
recruiting and signing some of the 4* and 5* star lineman that the other P5 teams are getting.

And when did King throw to Singleton again? Not until the 4th quarter if I remember correctly. After it became obvious early on that Clemson was prepared for King's QB keeper that had worked spectacularly against UNC and UVA, then why keep trying it. It was never going to work yesterday, because Clemson was prepared for it. And that damn bubble screen play (or whatever the correct name for it is) has worked ONCE all season, and yet Faulkner called it on 2 out of 3 downs on one series. Clemson, on the other hand called it once or twice and it worked perfectly with good yardage. That tells me that since our D apparently can't cover it in practice, Faulkner somehow believes that it is a high percentage play. But not being able to cover it in practice, doesn't mean the play should work; it means that our D can't cover it no matter who runs it. The wheels fell off because Faulkner wasn't prepared to adjust. Does he not view film and see just what the opposing D might do in a game? Sounds to me ike he doesn't.

saw a few drops where it looked like it would have worked.

saw a few drops where it looked like it would have worked.
If you are referring to the bubble screen, I didn't see it anytime where it would have worked, because they always have somebody out there to cover it, and we never provide any blocking for the receiver which might allow it to work.

Well, I did assume some blocking
And one SHOULD assume that there actually WILL be blocking out there, but there never seems to be. Others have posed the excuse that the players didn't line up properly. WOW. They obviously practice that play during the week, and it's obviously called in advance, and yet the players didn't line up properly? Are our players dumb? I don't think so.

Back