Program Resets: 2020 Edition

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
The kicking game has missed 10 out of 14 FGs under Collins and probably a half dozen PATs too. With that amount of sample size and with several different kickers, that’s all on the coaching.
Maybe, but it is a zero sum game. There are limited coaches and limited practice time. So what is he incorrectly prioritizing over the kicking?

My opinion is kicking is an item that can be addressed later. Keep the focus on recruiting, s&c, and implementing the O and D (in that order).

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Maybe, but it is a zero sum game. There are limited coaches and limited practice time. So what is he incorrectly prioritizing over the kicking?

My opinion is kicking is an item that can be addressed later. Keep the focus on recruiting, s&c, and implementing the O and D (in that order).
Wiesehan-formal-Cropped-741x1024.jpg

Chris Wiesehan

Look him up.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like

CGC took a kid that was perfect the year before and parked him on the bench.

Why the öööö are we continuing to talk about vague coaching priorities and lack of practice time as an excuse for the ööööty handling of our special teams?

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
"Kicking is an item that can be addressed later."

When? Are we not trying to win games now? Or are all of these games this year just practice games leading toward some undefined future date, when the games are finally going to count?

Come on - this is really, really, basic stuff. Does NOT require a bunch of "prioritization" or focus . . . your HC, OC, and DC CAN work on your O and D, while a snapper, holder, and kicker practice kicks by themselves over to the side - maybe with some occasional direction, oversight and feedback from your offensive special teams coach. Then at the end of practice you can bring in the entire o-line and d-line to do a few full run-throughs. We can walk and chew gum at the same time . . . or at least we should be able to. Look, there are a zillion high school football teams in this country which have successfully kicked extra points and field goals for decades. Even the crappiest little FCS schools are able to execute PATs and FGs better than what Tech has exhibited this year.

It's not the end of the world, and no reason to just toss CGC under the bus, IMO. But I do find it very hard to take seriously folks who are excusing this (Tech doesn't have enough money to coach this up; kicking PATs would take time away from polishing the defense; etc.) or acting like it should be expected during the most difficult transition in college football since the invention of the wheel.

Please.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Yeah, the kicking situation is getting to level of not being able to inbound the ball under Hewitt. Basic competence at those things is a universal given, and you almost have to be doing something wrong to screw it up.

JRjr

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Indeed. The comments of delusional football fans are always a good source of entertainment.

South Carolina has only been good at football for 3 or 4 years in the early 2010s. And even then, I don't believe that they have ever played even once in any of the big bowl games . . . Orange, Sugar, Fiesta or Rose. Right now . . . they're in third place in their home state. And Army would cream them.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Indeed. The comments of delusional football fans are always a good source of entertainment.

South Carolina has only been good at football for 3 or 4 years in the early 2010s. And even then, I don't believe that they have ever played even once in any of the big bowl games . . . Orange, Sugar, Fiesta or Rose. Right now . . . they're in third place in their home state. And Army would cream them.
In a perfect football world, your new coach would have to beat your old coach to take his job. The resulting games would be all time greats, every time.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
In a perfect football world, your new coach would have to beat your old coach to take his job. The resulting games would be all time greats, every time.
Then swap him and let him beat your coach with your players.

Olgoldandwhie

Flats Noob

When does the coaching begin? Year 3, 5, 7, 9?

MeatWrench

Holder of all Moon records
If you could script a resume for Michigan, wouldn’t this be it? Harbs inching closer to the brink vs winless PSU.

Alum
Celebrated former player
Program-great QB
Played under an all-time great HC
NFL success as a player
Pulled a P5 program out of the ditch as HC
NFL success as a coach
Family of coaches

Where in the hell do you go from there?