Realistically, what should we be looking for against Clemson?

IMO it's forcing the deep ball that's gonna get us back in -3 turnover territory.

Let's do what we do well. We have Gibbs, Griffin and Dontae behind a line that's improving rapidly. I would focus on our recently-returned tight ends and get Gibbs in space with screens. Keep Lawrence drinking gatoraid.
Sims had two or three passes from 35-40 yards the other night. In my opinion that’s a pretty deep threat. That’s at least what I’m talking about.

But yes I agree forcing it and a possible interception is a worse outcome than a loss of down. Unless you’re gambling.

Of course I do. He left the Hive as it had too many rules that restricted what posters could sayand he had a lot to say! No clue what ever happened to him.

Now as to the direction GT football is going I believe CGC is doing all the right things. More talent both from HS recruting and getting talented players from the local area to transfer to GT. We badly need more talent. CPJ's scheme and coaching ability worked well for 10 years but was clearly going down hill. Change was necessary and CGC seems to be the right guy. It will take him several years to get us up to our ACC competition. We are not in Clemson's class as far as talent goes. Our guys will play hard as they always do. Unfortunately for us we just aren't at their level now. Of course only Alabama seems to be at that level.

The Clemson coaches are talking like they recognize the improvements over last year's team. They know there is still a talent gap, but it is slowly narrowing. They know there is a depth difference and our injuries are widening that difference right now. Dabo called Simms a "young giraffe" out there slinging the ball and running around. He and Venables know Gibbs is the real deal.

I don't think we sneak up on them, but I hope we can be competitive and come out of the game without losing any more players to injury. I hate to lose, but they are a way better team.

It's possible or even likely that Clem's 5* corners shut down Carter and Brown. That will reduce us to the run which will be tough sledding to say the least. Getting Gibbs in space will help, but not near enough. What I would like to see other than lack of injuries that will hamper us winning games that we actually can win, is for the OL and Sims to not completely wilt under the pressure of a future NFL front 7. It would be nice too to not line up 6-8 yds off their receivers.
This one imo will be tough to beat the spread. Clem toyed with a good Miami team like a cat does a mouse.

By now everyone knows we're going to run our offense thru Gibbs.

Time to break out the good old Pro Set, adding Griffin or Smith on the field at the same time. Extra blocking if (when) necessary, but also, get those guys the damn ball in space. Screens, wheels, leak outs, might keep Clem's son guessing a little if you got 2 RBs in there at the same time.

By now everyone knows we're going to run our offense thru Gibbs.

Time to break out the good old Pro Set, adding Griffin or Smith on the field at the same time. Extra blocking if (when) necessary, but also, get those guys the damn ball in space. Screens, wheels, leak outs, might keep Clem's son guessing a little if you got 2 RBs in there at the same time.
May I suggest some option?

Too soon?

I don’t think we have enough defensive linemen to pull off this long shot. It’s going to be a physical game as usual but not having a full rotation might hurt us late in the game.

Hope we defer/get the ball to start the second half.

I don’t think we have enough defensive linemen to pull off this long shot. It’s going to be a physical game as usual but not having a full rotation might hurt us late in the game.

Hope we defer/get the ball to start the second half.
Clemson may win the toss and take the ball anyway. Sometimes, teams like them want to jump on the other team early. If they have a pretty good scripted first drive, having studied our tendencies, they may want the ball figuring they are gonna boat race us and the second half kick is meaningless

Clemson may win the toss and take the ball anyway. Sometimes, teams like them want to jump on the other team early. If they have a pretty good scripted first drive, having studied our tendencies, they may want the ball figuring they are gonna boat race us and the second half kick is meaningless
True...BUT we did make the defending national champs go 3&Out on their first series against us last year.

If I'm Clemson, I'm bringing the disguised blitz package all night long. That's what Cuse did and we had no answer.

So either we have an answer by now or we don't. But that's what I expect - Clemson will try to disrupt our offensive rythym.

Sims needs to work on progressions, bootlegs, play action, rpo- anything to create hesitation in the defense. If they pin their ears back and we don't have an answer, we are going to be in some trouble.

If I'm Clemson, I'm bringing the disguised blitz package all night long. That's what Cuse did and we had no answer.

So either we have an answer by now or we don't. But that's what I expect - Clemson will try to disrupt our offensive rythym.

Sims needs to work on progressions, bootlegs, play action, rpo- anything to create hesitation in the defense. If they pin their ears back and we don't have an answer, we are going to be in some trouble.

They won’t need to blitz to get pressure.

We might try some draw plays - might keep them from pinning their ears back.
Draws, screens, quick pops to the tight end can negate the rush. Stretch the defense occasionally on rollouts.
This. Forcing them to respect the short game is our best chance to give Sims the time to execute the broader playbook. I can see the TE’s getting a lot of use tomorrow. And of course Gibbs.

Back