Realistically, what should we be looking for against Clemson?

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I would like to see Sims and Gibbs make some plays so that we know they can compete with the best out there.

It will be the best defense Sims has faced in this entire life. Hope he gains a lot from the experience.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I would like to see Sims and Gibbs make some plays so that we know they can compete with the best out there.

It will be the best defense Sims has faced in this entire life. Hope he gains a lot from the experience.
Never know, Sims may be the best QB that Clemson players have faced in their lives on Saturday

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
It seems like a lot of posters only have two settings - "we'll never win again" and "we'll never lose again."

Clemson will probably be the biggest, fastest, strongest team we face this year. I expect it'll take a bit for us to adjust to their speed, then maybe we'll make a few plays, but the superior depth and talent will wear us down in the end (maybe mitigated somewhat by Dabo not usually being a "run up the score" kind of guy). I just hope to see some progress over last year's game. Hopefully we'll score in the first half this time, get a few stops and maybe a turnover or two, play strong until the end, and lose by less than 38. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we look competitive and not just totally overmatched.

JRjr

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
We lead the game from start to finish. The Tech sideline is one big party. Our starters get taken out at the end of the 3rd quarter and our second and third string finish out the game. The last play is a kneel down at the 1 on first and goal by our backup QB.

It would be nice to see:

- Re-establish the lines of scrimmage. Sacks, TFLs, and dominant run blocking. If we can run the ball, it will help us tremendously.

-penalty and turnover free football...Make them actually beat us.

-Make some plays!!! Sacks, picks, big chunk plays, maybe a Gibbs 75yd touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. We will need these things to win, let alone stay competitive.

-Time of possession, let's make it work for us.

We can do these things. We should do these things.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp

The whole team will gain from this

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
It seems like a lot of posters only have two settings - "we'll never win again" and "we'll never lose again."

Clemson will probably be the biggest, fastest, strongest team we face this year. I expect it'll take a bit for us to adjust to their speed, then maybe we'll make a few plays, but the superior depth and talent will wear us down in the end (maybe mitigated somewhat by Dabo not usually being a "run up the score" kind of guy). I just hope to see some progress over last year's game. Hopefully we'll score in the first half this time, get a few stops and maybe a turnover or two, play strong until the end, and lose by less than 38. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we look competitive and not just totally overmatched.

JRjr
I only have the second setting.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I think it would be unrealistic to expect a win, so what would constitute a good game?

I hope we get through this game without injuries and that we are competitive, sound and keep our positive momentum going.

Tech was picked to finish last in the ACC. If Tech is the worst team in the conference, the ACC is a lot better than people think, entertaining and full of young talent.
03DE760B-07D8-4948-8717-912A16D77770.jpeg

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I'd say it's progress if we lose by fewer points than last year (38).

Despite some improved talent, this team is not yet as good as a Paul Johnson team, ...
I'd say they are about the same. They both went 3-8 with Paul Johnson talent.

Never again.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I'd say it's progress if we lose by fewer points than last year (38).

Despite some improved talent, this team is not yet as good as a Paul Johnson team, so I don't expect better results.
2016: Lost by 19
2017: Lost by 14
2018: Lost by 28
Average: 20.1 points

I think it'd be a great sign if we lose by fewer than 20, which would put us on par with the last several Paul Johnson years.
Why are you unbanned?

Athletic Supporter

From a certain point of view
Clemson whooped Virginia and Miami by nearly identical scores the past two weeks. Based on the Louisville game, we ought to do better than they did. If we convert field goals and PATs we can hang, maybe pull out a victory. Juice.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I think there is a chance that Clemson plays a poor game; they are due so I think we do have a puncher's chance.

Need a few timely TOs from Clemson and no huge mistakes by the Jackets.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I think there is a chance that Clemson plays a poor game; they are due so I think we do have a puncher's chance.

Need a few timely TOs from Clemson and no huge mistakes by the Jackets.
Truth is, some of us on here are going to look like geniuses. We win, some of us get to come on here and celebrate. If we lose, the same miserable fonts will be on here with the sky is falling crap.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
In all honesty, we're going to have to show a deep threat to even keep it close. They are going to be sitting all over the short routes and forcing runs back into the middle.
IMO it's forcing the deep ball that's gonna get us back in -3 turnover territory.

Let's do what we do well. We have Gibbs, Griffin and Dontae behind a line that's improving rapidly. I would focus on our recently-returned tight ends and get Gibbs in space with screens. Keep Lawrence drinking gatoraid.