Reggie vs. Jeff

Hard to compare; one guy played for a competent coach and was surrounded by NFL talent — the other guy is surrounded by a band of misfits.

Sims is more gifted physically; I did like Reggie’s confidence, intensity and will to win.
Never thought I'd hear guys on the board call Chan competent.

I still think we fired him too soon, but I was a FOCcer

Never thought I'd hear guys on the board call Chan competent.

I still think we fired him too soon, but I was a FOCcer
Sometimes it takes experiencing incompetence to truly appreciate competence.

Back to the QB comparison. Jeff and Reggie are roughly the same. Yet Jeff is the best offensive player on this team; and Reggie may have been the worst offensive player on most of his teams.

I like them both, but Reggie had WAY more weapons to take the heat off his back. We have nothing close to the running game Reggie had to set up PA passes. The WR corps that Reggie had are in a completely different class that what Sims is working with. It's no comparison, really.

Reggie was exciting because you didn't know if he was going to öööö the bed or throw a beautiful, perfectly thrown bomb for 40+ yds.

Still ... I'll never forget the 6-9 ACC-CG against Wake.... barf

Don't see too many similarities. Reggie was a good QB and mostly played up to his potential, but just wasn't great or consistent enough to lead us where we wanted to be -- a top tier program. Simply put, he was a good but not great QB playing during a time when Tech managed to put great talent on the rest of the field. That 2006 team had enough talent outside of QB to compete for a national title, and instead we ended up with five losses

Jeff Sims has not been a good QB but has flashed a ton of raw potential which he hasn't played up to. The talent around him has been iffy at best outside of the RB room, and the coaching has certainly done him no favors, both for his individual development and the overall situation on the field.

I think most of us still struggle to know exactly what we have in Sims, whereas everyone was pretty clear on what we had in Reggie.
This is the best summary of both players here. Reggie Ball was an absolute baller and gave 100% for us at all times but his potential was reached and his ceiling wasn't high enough to elevate our program. Sims has flashed enormous potential yet he cant seem to find it more than flashes instead of an entire game. Yes Sims hasn't had a great OL or WR corps to work with but he also hasn't hit the open man when he's had his opportunities. Frustrating to watch as a fan who wants him to be a star for us.

Sims seems maybe less inclined to rely on his feet to get out of trouble than Reggie was. Maybe more confident in his arm. Seemed like Ball was often running to buy time, didnt get the pass protection he needed to be effective. They have that in common.

Reggie took mediocre teams and kept them mediocre.

Sims has done the same thing with bad teams.

I like them both, but Reggie had WAY more weapons to take the heat off his back. We have nothing close to the running game Reggie had to set up PA passes. The WR corps that Reggie had are in a completely different class that what Sims is working with. It's no comparison, really.

Reggie was exciting because you didn't know if he was going to öööö the bed or throw a beautiful, perfectly thrown bomb for 40+ yds.

Still ... I'll never forget the 6-9 ACC-CG against Wake.... barf
Reggie didn't call that reverse on short yardage in the wet to essentially lose the game

Reggie shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Sims. Sims can’t hold Reggie’s jockstrap. Some of you will still be talking about Sims potential when he’s an 8th year senior. Yes, he has muscles and a long stride and looks good in a football uniform. As for performance Reggie actually won us games and played hard even with his flaws. Sims has done that in two games so far in his entire career - FSU and UNC. That’s it. Now, lead GT to victory over Ole Miss and that would show us something. But we all know we are about to get waxed on or own store bought muddy looking field.

I see a lot of upside with Jeff. Reggie could be a basket case sometimes.

How many years are we into waiting for that upside to manifest? I get that we wasted a ton of time with bad coaches on him, and I feel bad about it, but I'm worried if our new coaches can undo the years of damage.

I dont really see any comparison, except both had to deal with garbage OCs for most of their time here, hopefully that changes with Long and Wienke. Without looking at stats Id guess Sims has a higher career completion % and doesnt have Calvin to throw it too. Reggie did win the ACC rookie of the year and a lot more games, though.
IIRC, Reggie was tough too.

How many years are we into waiting for that upside to manifest? I get that we wasted a ton of time with bad coaches on him, and I feel bad about it, but I'm worried if our new coaches can undo the years of damage.
I hear you. I'm honestly at the point where we should just burn it all and start new.

I never knew we would all be here reminiscing about Reggie Ball and Chan Gailey, but here we are.

Reggie played with passion. I don't see much passion out of Sims, but they are from two totally different generations. Reggie was gritty, like a warthog. Sims is more like a gazelle. They are just different. They both have their warts.

Like people have said before, Reggie reached his ceiling. We keep waiting for the UNC Sims to show up.

Is there a comparison as far as their abilities and inconsistencies? Is it fair to compare them?

Size wise, there is no comparison. Jeff is a big guy and maybe faster. But I see that there are similar inconsistencies with the progression of a QB.

Reggie would be a roller coaster-hot one Saturday and Cold the next. His senior year was his best year by far but still made some questionable decisions.

With Jeff, I don't see many questionable decisions from him, just inconsistent with his throws. I know he's getting used to a new OC and QB coach, but dang I would think he would be improved by now.
Reggie always dies against Georgia only thing that I hated about him

Back