Remember the 2014 offense? It's ba-a-a-ck....

The Pitt and Duke games would have made me not expect this, and also we played Clemson. We were really cruising against USF, Louisville, and VT, then. Like, historically.

you can take your unbiased statistics regarding the efficiency of this offense and DIAF. We NEED A PRO ACTION STYLE OFFENSE TO ATTRACT FANS AND RECRUITS. NOBODY CARES ABOUT SCORING. WE NEED TO PREPARE ATHLETES FOR THE NFL.

FIRE PAUL JONSON AMD HIRES MARK RICKT!!

MODS PLS BAN.

Last edited:
We are actually among elite teams in scoring

Also, check out the records of the other Top 10 Most Efficient Scoring Teams – its us, plus Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, UCF, Washington St., Houston, Ohio State, Ohio and Army.

The nine other teams on that list have a combined record of 62-9 (.873) – and 4 of those 9 losses are by G5 teams playing P5 teams. (Houston lost to Texas Tech, Ohio lost to UVA, and Army lost to Duke and Oklahoma.) Strip those out and their record is 62-5 (.925).

On the other hand, we're playing .500 ball.

This is why emotions on this board are so polarized about CPJ. It makes no sense to say his offense is the problem. But there is some kind of a problem.

Can someone post the definition they are using for this calculation?

Can someone post the definition they are using for this calculation?
No idea. Maybe it's proprietary. But they're used by the CFP so they can't be too fictional.

No idea. Maybe it's proprietary. But they're used by the CFP so they can't be too fictional.

Well to say you are efficient on 63% of your plays is a little odd without context. And it is hard to see how an offense can be more efficient than Bama given what they've done on the field. Certainly scoring TDs on almost every possession in 3 or 4 of our games really helps pad the stats.

Remember that time that TCU lost to Baylor, who beat TCU, so TCU got ranked higher than Baylor? Good times.

Also, check out the records of the other Top 10 Most Efficient Scoring Teams – its us, plus Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, UCF, Washington St., Houston, Ohio State, Ohio and Army.

The nine other teams on that list have a combined record of 62-9 (.873) – and 4 of those 9 losses are by G5 teams playing P5 teams. (Houston lost to Texas Tech, Ohio lost to UVA, and Army lost to Duke and Oklahoma.) Strip those out and their record is 62-5 (.925).

This is why emotions on this board are so polarized about CPJ. It makes no sense to say his offense is the problem. But there is some kind of a problem.
I think there are a few explanations for that.

1) We're inconsistent - instead of playing pretty well each game, we'll be mediocre and then absolutely dominant.
2) Our defense is still pretty bad (but improving).
3) We've made horrible, backbreaking mistakes that caused us to lose even though we played fairly well.

But I think it's pretty clear looking at our company in the top 10 that the metric is accurate. If you asked me to name the best offenses in CFB, most of those are the ones I would list.

This stat makes sense considering what we’ve seen on the field. We’re 4-1 in blowouts and 0-3 in close games. All 3 of those losses felt like we were the better team before turnovers doomed us.

USF we just pissed away a game that we put up 700 yards in.

Lost the Pitt game on a retarded fake punt from our own 20 and a flea flicker.

Lost the Duke game one 3 straight fumbles. At least they looked like they belonged on the same field.

6-2 is probably what we deserve to be right now. But fumbles will do that to a record. So 4-4 it is. Gives hope for next year though. You’d expect the defense to keep trending up with more young talent getting on the field. And should have a great QB situation.

The offense isn't a problem against weaker teams. It is the overall approach of the staff that takes no interest in recruiting and coaching a complete football team. Special teams, defense, the kicking game, throwing the forward pass. We do one thing, and most years we do it okay, in fact, well enough to offset our weaknesses in the other areas. But we are not even working on being a complete football team any more.

Gives hope for next year though. You’d expect the defense to keep trending up with more young talent getting on the field. And should have a great QB situation.
I’m not eager to fire CPJ but I don’t want to hear about next year anymore. We’re eleven years in and we’ve had too many transfers and injuries and such over the years to place faith in that.

I think there are a few explanations for that.

1) We're inconsistent - instead of playing pretty well each game, we'll be mediocre and then absolutely dominant.
3) We've made horrible, backbreaking mistakes that caused us to lose even though we played fairly well.

But I think it's pretty clear looking at our company in the top 10 that the metric is accurate. If you asked me to name the best offenses in CFB, most of those are the ones I would list.
Yes, but why are we inconsistent, why are we making mistakes? It’s no secret that fumbles are bad.

We are actually the most elite team in the country in terms of offensive efficiency.

Now if only they crowned champions on the basis of offensive efficiency.

My son and I just had this conversation about the possible similarities to 2014 (which I thought this thread would be about more broadly).

We went over the story arc of 2014, in which Tech almost lost to Georgia Southern, then caught absolute fire in mid-season and finished in a way I'll never forget, particularly in stomping a very good Mississippi State team with Dak Prescott in a BCS bowl; beating what was a good Georgia team straight up in Athens (that was UGA's highest scoring team in history, even with Hutson Mason at QB); and manhandling a ranked Clemson team by 22 points. We've all seen turnarounds between seasons, but anybody seen a turnaround within a season like that?

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons but I think QB play was a big one. If I were Johnson I'd tell a little story about that team to his players. If he has any fifth year guys they even remember it.

2014 was all about OL play and figuring out how to run the ball down the other team's throat. We certainly did that against VT... let's see if they can keep it up. I still think the pieces are there.

By the way, here are the defensive S+P rankings for the other teams in the Top 10 scoring efficiency ranking...

#2 Clemson
#20 Alabama
#35 UCF
#45 Ohio State
#59 Oklahoma
#77 Washington St
#89 Houston
#92 Army
#106 GT
#115 Ohio

So once again, an average or mediocre defense would likely have us among the zero or one loss teams right now...

By the way, here are the defensive S+P rankings for the other teams in the Top 10 scoring efficiency ranking...

#2 Clemson
#20 Alabama
#35 UCF
#45 Ohio State
#59 Oklahoma
#77 Washington St
#89 Houston
#92 Army
#106 GT
#115 Ohio

So once again, an average or mediocre defense would likely have us among the zero or one loss teams right now...

If Nate Woody couldn't turn it around in 8 games he's never going to

better fire him

Back