Reranking the top 4 for the playoffs

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

Clemson would have beat Ohio State and Alabama beat Oklahoma.

So the Championship Game still would have been Clemson-Alabama.

Exposed as pretenders: Notre Dame, Georgia, UCF

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

Clemson would have beat Ohio State and Alabama beat Oklahoma.

So the Championship Game still would have been Clemson-Alabama.

Exposed as pretenders: Notre Dame, Georgia, UCF

I think OSU would beat Okla. I'd reverse those two.

The two best teams are playing next Monday. You can manipulate the standings as you see fit but the outcome is still the two best teams. Im sure the BCS formula would have picked these two as well.

Are you proposing final rankings or hindsight rankings going into the playoffs? If the latter I'm inclined to say the committee got it right. If anything put OU at 3 and ND at 4. UGA is overrated, UCF is pretty good but not top 4, OSU lost to Purdue by 29 points.

OSU is better than ND, but again, they lost to Purdue by 29 points.

Let’s stop ignoring the truth: the BCS system worked.
Some years it did, but other times it did not. 2004 was the year where Oklahoma was voted #2 over an unbeaten Auburn team and Oklahoma ended up getting destroyed by USC. Then of course, you can't forget about the Bama-LSU rematch snooze fest, when it should have been LSU-Oklahoma State.

Let’s stop ignoring the truth: the BCS system worked.

Because it would have worked the same this year doesn't mean it worked. But that depends on your definition of worked. It selected two of the best teams and in the end one of them won a title game. That's loads better than the old bowls sans BCS. Now we get 4 teams and in the end someone crowned champion who deserved to be there and gets recognized by the NCAA to boot. No more split championship BS. I like that better.

Even if UGAg had curb-stomped Bevo looking like one of the 4 best teams, how could you say the playoff is broken when a 13-0 conference champion gets the crown and not them? If they wanted a shot, they should have beat LSU or Bama.

Doesn't invalidate the argument at all other than the "committee" shouldn't be the one picking the 8 teams.

And Stewie's a clown.

Uhhh...that’s also how a properly ranked 8 team playoff would work, too.

What the öööö is Mandel’s point actually?

I’m fine with the BCS system or CFP at four teams. I think it’s never going to be correct to everyone. I don’t want to see Alabama and Georgia play three or four times a year. Once in the regular season and conference championship should be it. If that’s not acceptable switch the conference championship games to be the best two records instead of one from one side vs the other. The conference championships should be a first round. Then go from there if we have to.

And btw. ND can join a conference and play a conference championship. Or they should be left out no matter their record.
Should Notre Dame decide to join a conference full-time before 2036, it would be required to join the ACC, with which it has a contract that currently calls for the Irish to play five league games per season.
https://abc7chicago.com/sports/iris...t-for-notre-dame-after-clemsons-rout/4988420/
Any idea when the Grant of Right's agreement goes out that all of the ACC schools signed?

Back