Reranking the top 4 for the playoffs

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I like the four team playoff. When I hear expansion to 8 suggested with P5 champions plus the highest ranked nonP5 school plus two at large I don’t see the improvement. Imagine if Texas, Pitt, Utah, Northwestern, Memphis and Georgia had won on the first Saturday in December. Those six plus Notre Dame and either Bama or Clemson would not have been an improvement over what we have now. This works, just be willing to select the undefeated, non-P5 school to give them a shot.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
The BCS system was broken. The current CFP works in that the champion is clearly somewhere in the top 4 every year of its existence. Not much of an argument to say the champ could've come out of 5-8. The only argument has been inclusion... where the G5 teams are clearly limited by a glass ceiling and ND should not be taken over any 1-loss conference champion unless under unusual circumstances (e.g. they won every game by 14+ points). Having said that, I still prefer 6 or 8 teams where each P5 champ and 1 G5 team at least has a chance for the title.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Oklahoma looked just as bad as Notre Dame. Probably worse. Notre Dame played 28 good minutes of football against Clemson. OU was down 21 points before the first quarter was over. At no point did I think OU had a chance.

1a. Bama
1b. Clemson
3. OSU
4. Notre Dame.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
I'm personally for going back to Ye Olden Times and just letting the media jerk themselves off over who should get the MNC.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
What the öööö is Mandel’s point actually?
Disregarding the 3 and 4 losses, which are expected based on the seeding, the fact that 5, 7, 8, and 9 lost to (assumed without verifying) teams that weren’t even in the playoff conversation indicates that those teams didn’t particularly need to be in the playoffs. Not unreasonable, but it does discount the motivation difference between playing for a championship and playing an exhibition. (You can argue “on any given day,” but that’s true of literally every team and isn’t much of a basis for playoff selection.)

JRjr

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
I was all for a playoff. Now I’m ready to go back to Bowl games only. Now the bowls are meaningless and bunch of people sit in a room with no accountability.
If you’re going to have a committee, let everyone tell how they voted and why.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
There is no point to having conferences if not to determine who the best teams from a subset of FBS is so that they can then play each other to determine who the best is. Conferences champs should be in the playoff. Nobody else needs to be. It takes subjectivity out of it.

GBurdell

One for each tiddy
it doesn't matter how many teams are included in a playoff. there will always be the one or two teams that feel they should be included but are left out.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
Or we could let the committee determine how many teams deserve a shot on a year to year basis. This year, it was clear it should’ve just been Bama vs Clemson. Next year they may decide 8 teams need to go.

But this wouldn’t play well with money so it’ll never be done

joeye

Varsity Connoisseur
I've never believed that the #4 team should be invited for a chance to play for the title.
They're a great team, no doubt. but it ends there. After 11 games, we pretty much know who is #1 & 2. Maybe #3 even has a right to argue.
Other then avoiding a playoff where the #1 gets a bye, there's no reason why a #4 deserves a shot at the title. You had all year to prove your worth.
5-8 can go to hell too...

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I've never believed that the #4 team should be invited for a chance to play for the title.
They're a great team, no doubt. but it ends there. After 11 games, we pretty much know who is #1 & 2. Maybe #3 even has a right to argue.
Other then avoiding a playoff where the #1 gets a bye, there's no reason why a #4 deserves a shot at the title. You had all year to prove your worth.
5-8 can go to hell too...

And yet in 4 years the #4 seed has won the CFP twice.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
All these supposedly smart people that believe a small sample of years is the status quo of college football is ridiculous. Monday morning armchair quarterbacking is intense this year.

The arguments for expanding the playoff are still 100% valid. But hey, go on propping up the idea that this committee is totally legit just because Alabama and Clemson is gud.

olgoldandwhite

Dodd-Like
I still think Texas should be national champs. They beat the best three loss team in America, who almost beat the number 1 team in America. Who lost to a team that beat last years mythical national champions. But, then that pesky Maryland team needs to be in the picture.

joeye

Varsity Connoisseur
Doesn’t mean they should have been invited.
I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying it shouldn't.
If we go to 8, I'm sure 3-8 will win it plenty.
I don't like a tournament for football after we already played 3 months of it.