Respect

05GTCorndog

Staff member
Getting respect. What we gonna bitch about now?

ACC CHAMPIONSHIP VOTES
1. Clemson -- 84
2. Florida State -- 41
3. Georgia Tech -- 20
4. Virginia Tech -- 7
5. North Carolina -- 3
6. Miami -- 2
7. NC State -- 1

ATLANTIC DIVISION (First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Clemson (101) -- 1,032,
2. Florida State (56) -- 992
3. Louisville (1) -- 746
4. NC State -- 673
5. Boston College -- 473
6. Syracuse -- 291
7. Wake Forest -- 217

COASTAL DIVISION (First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Georgia Tech (96) -- 991
2. Virginia Tech (44) -- 841
3. Miami (7) -- 632
4. Duke (4) -- 615
5. North Carolina (4) -- 590
6. Pitt (3) -- 535
7. Virginia -- 220

how dare they think Clemson and FSU are better than us?

seriously though.. not sure why clemson is getting all the love.. when's the last time watson made it 4 games without getting hurt... its a leap if you ask me

There is a voter who gave NCState the ACC championship, but no voter voted them first in the Atlantic division? Someone doesn't understand how any of this works. Who gave a UGA journalist credentials?

seriously though.. not sure why clemson is getting all the love.. when's the last time watson made it 4 games without getting hurt... its a leap if you ask me

Clemson has had some very, very good recruiting classes (#4, 13, 14, #13 the past 4 years). They re-load at skill positions now. I'm not surprised at this. Watson is going to be a beast the next two years.

Why should a team that lost every meaningful non-QB skill position player be ranked above them? I like our team but I think we are ranked where we should be in that poll.

Clemson has had some very, very good recruiting classes (#4, 13, 14, #13 the past 4 years). They re-load at skill positions now. I'm not surprised at this. Watson is going to be a beast the next two years.

Why should a team that lost every meaningful non-QB skill position player be ranked above them? I like our team but I think we are ranked where we should be in that poll.

:ban2:

I get why Clemson is in the discussion for Atlantic champs, but twice the votes of FSU, and Louisville basically a non factor? Man...I must be missing something. Clemson is replacing Chad Morris and practically their 2-deep at OL and DL. And I don't think "injury prone" is a thing, but if ever there was an injury prone QB, Watson would be it.

Their ceiling is a game or two above ours and there floor is two games below ours IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised to see 11-1 and I wouldn't be surprised to see 5-7. Watson is significantly more important to their success than JT is to ours because we've got Byerly as a safety valve and they've got nothing. If Watson goes down they really might not make a bowl game. If he stays healthy AND there defense reloads like the media hype train expects then they'll be favored in probably all of their games.

But when it comes down to it, I just think we beat them this year. I'm more worried about VT at home than Clemson on the road. Weird to say, but I think them having to play ND the week before and turn around to play us with as much defensive experience playing the option that they lost will be a tall order. I think we put up 30+,our revamped DL gives their inexperienced OL problems, and our senior-laden secondary limits enough big plays to take it on the road.

skill positions are sexy but the trenches are more important, imo. we are better than them on OL and DL.

I think their entire methodology can be summarized as:
Step 1) Rank the biggest names at the top regardless of how good they are
Step 2) Move up or down a bit based on QB hype.

They're just mailing it in. They don't care.

skill positions are sexy but the trenches are more important, imo. we are better than them on OL and DL.

I agree. Reloading at skill positions sounds good, but they lost a ton an their lines in experienced depth. That typically is more indicative of ability to reload

I'll give us the edge on OL.

However... Why are people talking up our DL? Last year we had next to no pass rush without blitzing. Gotsis is good and Freeman has potential, but there is little depth. Our DL looks average at best IMO.

I'm not blasting our team. I like them, but it is easy to look at our own team to understand why we aren't the overwhelming favorites.

Clemson is the converse of us. They lost all their glue players and kept all their skill players (more or less). We both have a young and dynamic QB returning. From a talent perspective, Watson is perceived as better (probably true in the passing game, especially with their scheme and returning receivers), but I'd take JT in a heartbeat for health and leadership.

All that said, I wouldn't bet against them overall. They have 4 straight years of 10+ wins and have finished the year int he top 25 teams 7 out of the last 10.

I think their entire methodology can be summarized as:
Step 1) Rank the biggest names at the top regardless of how good they are
Step 2) Move up or down a bit based on QB hype.

They're just mailing it in. They don't care.

After watching the Dinich/Adelson ACC video preview yesterday, I completely agree. It's the off season, everyone is fitting this in between vacations to maintain the entertainment stream. The mantra is repeated, nothing new to see here. Please disperse. Please disperse...

You win games in the trenches on both sides and at QB. Our front seven on defense and our O-line plus QB are the best in the conference. Let Clemson deal with the target on their back to start the season.

I'll give us the edge on OL.

However... Why are people talking up our DL? Last year we had next to no pass rush without blitzing. Gotsis is good and Freeman has potential, but there is little depth. Our DL looks average at best IMO.

I'm not blasting our team. I like them, but it is easy to look at our own team to understand why we aren't the overwhelming favorites.

our DL may not be top 25 but it should be better than Clemson's OL. plus JHD is 500 lbs now.

Back