Revisionist History

For all of CCG's faults, the guy was a good judge of talent. Not all 2 and 3 star players are created equally and he proved that.

I hated the wasting of Calvin's ability, but CCG had guys getting shots in the NFL that left you scratching your head when you looked back at their signing class.

For all of CCG's faults, the guy was a good judge of talent. Not all 2 and 3 star players are created equally and he proved that.

I hated the wasting of Calvin's ability, but CCG had guys getting shots in the NFL that left you scratching your head when you looked back at their signing class.

That is a fair point but the results on the field between the two coaches has largely been equal...except PJ won an ACCCG taking us to a BCS bowl and beat ugag once. There is nothing proven that suggested CG could ever do that WITH his players. The 06 squad imo was better than the 08 and 09 teams. CPJ was routed by mtsu...let's compare that to the time Duke...old Duke blew us out under Gailey. In addition a horrible UNC, mediocre Vt, a fair Utah. They all run us up and down in beatdowns under Gailey.

PJ has had some growing pains like all Tech coaches. Namely for him it was not recruiting a Decent QB in his system until year 4 and also he under recruited spots. Not to mention our recruiting staff is less than half of any average school. These things have been fixed. Lets see what happens. I saw a team play a bunch of 4-5 star players to the very end and barely lose. They are going to be hungry next year. I expect some good things.

All this and his choice of DC's until mid-2012. I was excited about Groh at the time, but the nagging feeling that somebody who flamed out at UVA wouldn't be a good DC was correct. He had Charlie-Weis-Syndrome of being very qualified schematically, but not translating it on the field.

I'm excited for the bowl game though and I think we will finally see the pieces come together against a good team.

I never forgave Gailey as most for the 2002 beat down in Athens. Those weren't his players though. The same guys who don't want to give PJ any credit for his first two seasons are the same ones who wanted to fire Gailey after his first season. Fans being fans. That's why we don't run the program.

That is the most frightened I have ever seen a GT team play. Suggs and Bilbo were like deer in the headlights. On the other hand, that UGA team was awaiting the outcome of a few other games to see if they would play for a National Championship. We were severely overmatched. Amazing how things changed from winning 3IAR not too long prior.

That is the most frightened I have ever seen a GT team play. Suggs and Bilbo were like deer in the headlights. On the other hand, that UGA team was awaiting the outcome of a few other games to see if they would play for a National Championship. We were severely overmatched. Amazing how things changed from winning 3IAR not too long prior.

They weren't frightened. They didnt give a öööö.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In CPJ's first year, most teams did not really understand how to defense his TO. Iowa showed them how to do it. A good defensive team is not going to let the offense dictate to them. They are going to force the offense to react.

I believe good teams that we play year on year are getting better at stopping our attack.

And, we have been slow at developing offensive modifications that require teams to spend more time preparing for us.

When discussing replacements for CPJ, people should also keep in mind:

1. Any replacement who will take the job will probably have an inferior resume to CPJ.

2. A young up-and-comer who does well will probably use Tech as a stepping stone to a higher profile job.

3. Changing the offense would probably require a few down years as the system gets adopted and players are recruited.

4. If we hire a dud, we'll be stuck for 4-5 years before we can move on.

5. The new coach might be a better recruiter, or might be a better strategist, or might choose assistants well, but it's unlikely he will be good at everything.

I hate realism and practicality
You are NO fun

In CPJ's first year, most teams did not really understand how to defense his TO. Iowa showed them how to do it. A good defensive team is not going to let the offense dictate to them. They are going to force the offense to react.

I believe good teams that we play year on year are getting better at stopping our attack.

And, we have been slow at developing offensive modifications that require teams to spend more time preparing for us.

good call, I think that is obvious
it is amazing that a few new teams still think they can play us "soft" and win--see Syracuse
most all smart ones try to "press" and hope for best

Have an NFL-caliber front 7? Man that's so easy, dunno why no one else thought of it :rolleyes:

This did help us in 08, but I also don't think we would of been as bad as people thought even if it didn't. We've been slow at countering that, very true, but I think especially what we saw against Georgia is the beginning of countering it starting to work, we'll see.

The worst bunch of revisionist history that's been going around by the anti-PJ crowd, honestly, is pretending that Freidgen didn't run the triple option as his staple running play.

lol at comparing what we used to run to CPJ's offense now. are you serious? look, i know you're convinced that we can't get the athletes to compete, so you think the triple option is the only way we can compete, but to say that CPJ's offense was anything like friedgens is ridiculous.

Anyone looking to get rid of Johnson needs a reality check.

I was skeptical of the Roof hire because I remember Roof under O'Leary and Roof at Duke. But Ted Roof today is a much improved coordinator. I think it will be good to see how a better defense plays out in a year when the offense more productive (as it was in 09, 11, and 12).

Johnson has improved our player graduation rates.

Johnson gets a lot out of the talent he has. The only question is whether he gets enough talent to win as much as we'd like. Quite frankly, I think that's GT's choice there. I'm not sure we can expect better recruiting under any coach. Where Gailey did better was evaluating talent, but the truth is, what GAiley's assistants and the AA staff back then did better was evaluate talent. Hopefully, we've improved there.

If the GT admin wants to fire Johnson because he isn't winning "enough," then they need to take a long hard look at the restrictions in place at GT before they do that.

I'm not sure why people think the flexbone formation and its derivatives are so important. Talent beats any formation or offense. And there's no way to stop a more talented offense that executes, no matter what that offense is.

lol at comparing what we used to run to CPJ's offense now. are you serious? look, i know you're convinced that we can't get the athletes to compete, so you think the triple option is the only way we can compete, but to say that CPJ's offense was anything like friedgens is ridiculous.

Those offenses were beautiful. CPJ's offenses are fun.

But outside of those offenses, I'd rather have the triple option.

I think it, with a good defense, gives us a very good chance of success.

I don't think the "system" has much to do with whether we win.

The last two years he did, but prior to the 2006 season, there were only 11 regular season games.

As noted by AE87, only 2004 and 2005 were 11 game regular seasons.

Records, including postseason:
2002: 7-6
2003: 7-6
2004: 7-5
2005: 7-5
2006: 9-5
2007: 7-6
'02-'07: 44-33; .571 win pct
Median: 7-5.5
Average: 7.3-5.5

2008: 9-4
2009: 11-3
2010: 6-7
2011: 8-5
2012: 7-7
2013: 7-5 (+TBD)
'08-'13: 48-31; .608 win pct
Median: 7.5-5
Average: 8-5.2

Conference records:
2002: 4-4
2003: 4-4
2004: 4-4
2005: 5-3
2006: 7-1
2007: 4-4
'02-'07: 28-20; .583 win pct
Median: 4-4
Average: 4.6-3.3

2008: 5-3
2009: 7-1
2010: 4-4
2011: 5-3
2012: 5-3
2013: 5-3
'08-'13: 31-17; .646 win pct
Median: 5-3
Average: 5.2-2.8

I like to think that CPJ can achieve more than Gailey. Certainly, he did so the first two years. The frustration for me is that while I think CPJ is the right man for the job, the results after those first two years don't support the idea that CPJ is any better than Gailey. CPJ has clearly established that he can win an extra conference game each year. However, the overall record, which I think is just as important, is only about a half win per year better. If you drop the first two years (I know, the revisionist history), CPJ's median and average records are 7-6, which is what Gailey did.

Some Perspective:
Footballoutsiders ranks teams by measure of primarily scoring efficiency (FEI) and primarily play efficiency (SnPplus) which they combine for their total ranking (F/plus).

Totaling the F/plus rankings for the last six years, we are #36. Over these six years, georgie is #15, vpi #16, cu#19, miami #28. Our offense is #14 over these six years, and our defense #58. Over the last 3 yrs, we've been the #34 program, our offense #17 and our defense #59.

Vpi and byu have been top 15 D's over the last 3 years. CU Miami and georgie have been top 15 O's. As Roof gets our D in shape, we'll become more competitive.

Yep, teams are figuring it out. That's why in year 5, we put up 68 on UNC. That's why in year 6 we put up 34 against UGA, a year after we could only muster 10 points, which 7 of them were in garbage time. So what happened, did UGA forget how to defend it?

Back